Sign in to follow this  
armspin

Worlds day 1 results

Metcalf vs Taghavi is to be expected. The worst match up for him, it just is. But Bergman looked like he saw a ghost out there. Hard to explain why he freezes up. He had this guy beat. Like people have stated here he has beaten Varner although that was three years ago. Varner would have won that bracket maybe-Gazymazov would have been tough and taken he probably gets silver or bronz. I am pretty sure of that. No way though Varner would have beat Yazdani though. Really sorry for JD-it looked almost 100% mental to me! Congrats Esco!!!! Man 5th in the world-nice job!

What was interesting was how much bigger Teghavi was than Metcalf. He looked almost a full weight class bigger.

I thought Metcalf looked more ripped in college. At least in the upper body. Is that an age thing or does he spend more time on technique now?

That's sort of what I'm getting at too. He did seem bigger back then (in his college days).

Or is it just that internationally, the opponents are so much bigger than NCAA's?

Bergman looked like he saw a ghost out there. Hard to explain why he freezes up. He had this guy beat.

Bergman's post-match comments were revealing, I thought. He said he didn't realize how much trouble he was in. Combination of he felt okay in the position, and didn't respect his opponent.

Zeke's point of view was "why put yourself there."

Although JD is an experienced guy, having competed at the worlds before, sounds like he under-estimated the competition.

I am not sure what the deal is but something has to change. Whether it's more money, so that our kids can experience more foreign training and competition. Maybe hire a foreign (Russian) coach maybe to assist Zeke. Who knows. But this is like our World Series, SuperBowl, or Stanley Cup, it's just a shame were not doing better in these international competitions. Maybe part of our selection process has to be how our guys fair at the bigger and tougher international tourneys like the Yarygin. It might be something that guys are assigned a spot on the ladder and have to work their was up the ladder, and how they fair internationally, how they fair against common opponents . I don't know what the answer is, I just know I am pretty depressed.

Bergman looked like he saw a ghost out there. Hard to explain why he freezes up. He had this guy beat.

Bergman's post-match comments were revealing, I thought. He said he didn't realize how much trouble he was in. Combination of he felt okay in the position, and didn't respect his opponent.

Zeke's point of view was "why put yourself there."

Although JD is an experienced guy, having competed at the worlds before, sounds like he under-estimated the competition.

\

Bergman is good in upper body ties. Domestically, he is dominant from there. Even Varner isn't very good with upper body ties and Bergman beat him from that position. Internatonally, where people practice throwing from a young age, he doesn't have the advantage in the position anymore, especially when wrestling a big guy. Other counter/throwing American wrestlers (Hrovat, Paulson, Frayer, ect) have run into the same thing.

Reza Yazdani was amazing today. Amazing that he came back after a knee tear(I believe it was acl) from a year ago, and was able to be in top form and win Gold. Love his style. Love his heart. Love that he proves to everyone that you can be short for your weight class and still be a champion!

it makes sense that all else being equal (participation numbers, coaching, access to facilities, etc) the US would be at a disadvantage because of the different styles. all the time learning top and bottom could have been directed to throws.

tough to say how much of a disadvantage, especially from my amateur fan vantage, and having never tried to actually wrestle freestyle outside of a couple days at a few camps, but its only logical that it makes some noticeable difference.