Sign in to follow this  
sockobuw

gomez rep match

in the repechage match gomez gets a td to go up 4-1 the Armenian catches an elbow and tries to roll gomez. gomez stands on his head and they go out of bounds. after a challenge the score is 4-2 how was it scored 1 pt for the Armenian?

Because someone decided that the Armenian was going to get every opportunity to win. No rules support that scoring at all. If Gomez was exposed, then it would be 2. I thought he exposed at first, but looking at the replay, I don't think so. It was not a reversal by any means, so no 1 there. No 1 for pushout because they were on the mat.

Then the quick fleeing the hold point...whatever, Gomez should have done something different. But everyone is second-guessing Humphrey for not running, so, hmmm.

And at the end, the Armenian steps out before Gomez puts his knee down. That sequence was close.

Awesome job FILA. I continue to lose respect. Hard to believe, but true.

Thanks JB. I honestly didn't know that the 1 point exposure still existed.

I am glad that there is someone who can share the rules with us.

What is the deal on the step out at the end of the match? I had heard that they were going to reinterpret the step out, so in that case, can the Armenian step out and then score? Personally, I think if you are in the process of scoring, then the step out should not count against you. I am just trying to be an educated fan/coach here.

Gomez took the Armenian down at the edge of the mat. Right after Gomez turned the corner to secure the TD, the Armenian hooked his elbow and hit a fat man roll. Gomez went out of bounds on his head. At first glance, it looked like he might have exposed, but when the cube came it, it was pretty clear that he didn't expose. However, my thought is that the refs didnt want the match to go to Gomez right then. If the challenge was not successful, Gomez would've been up by 3 with 20 seconds left...match pretty much over. Instead they award 1, which is a de facto 2 point swing.

The refs didn't completely pick the winner, but they gave the Armenian every chance.

I'd like to see that match. It's really a shame he didn't medal.

From what I saw of his other matches, Gomez really wrestled well.

Did he give Goigireev (sp.?) the tightest match of the tournament?

I came away convinced that Gomez really is one of the best at that weight in the world.