Sign in to follow this  
Urban_Achiever

India

It's been a long project that has taken awhile. I don't remember exactly when it was but I remember people saying how good the Indian Cadet National Team looked over here for some competition in the US over 10 years ago. These guys must have been the group around Kumar, Dutt, etc. These guys have been at it for awhile...

India has a very old and rich wrestling tradition. Not only I'm I not surprised that they're doing so well I have been wondering for some time when they would start making an impact. They're traditional folkstyle Pehalwani has deep roots. It is similar to Iranian Pahlvani and Turkish Pehlivan (all from Persian root Pahlavan meaning champion or hero) folkstlyes. Pehalwani is practiced in a sand ring. Basically the Indians needed to adjust their techniques and rules to the international style (as all nations have had to at some point). I think for the most part the international style had been ignored and Indians mostly only cared about domestic competition. I believe Sushil Kumar can be given a lot of credit with changing that. Below is a link to a documentary about Pehalwani if anyone wants further information.

Yes, a rich wrestling tradition means it's always been there but they've completely turned it up over the last couple of years. Traditionally they've always done well at cadet world level but fizzled out by the time they reached senior level. And you can't tell me their only training is with some little guru in little huts and wrestling in dirt everyday like that video shows. They must train with other teams/coaches. The techniques they are using are cutting edge. There has to be some Russian coaching influence and training partners.

Yes, a rich wrestling tradition means it's always been there but they've completely turned it up over the last couple of years. Traditionally they've always done well at cadet world level but fizzled out by the time they reached senior level. And you can't tell me their only training is with some little guru in little huts and wrestling in dirt everyday like that video shows. They must train with other teams/coaches. The techniques they are using are cutting edge. There has to be some Russian coaching influence and training partners.

I never said that training in huts with little gurus is their only method. I only pointed out that their tradition/base was there but that they needed to adjust to the international style. Adjusting means with wrestling shoes and singlet's on, using mats, FILA rules, wrestling with other nations and coaches etc.

And they would assume correctly qs. I've been doing a little research on Indian wrestling. Apparently they still wrestle and train in akharas. Here's the wiki akhara description:

"Unlike the modern stereotypical image of passiveness, the Sadhus were also known for their military defense exploits. Their akharas became centers for training in Hindu Martial Arts which is widely understood to have been exported to Shaolin Monastery in China by Bodhidharma. Ghurye goes so far as to translate akhara to mean “military regiment,” because the Dasnami Nagas were involved in various military defense campaigns at different times (1953: 116; cf. also Farquhar 1925; J. Ghose 1930; Lorenzen 1978).[5]

Historic Jarasandha's Akhara (wrestling arena) at Rajgir, which finds mention in the Mahabharata.

Even today, many traditional wrestling arenas, especially in North India are known as Akhara. Here under a Guru, head instructor a number of wrestlers live in hostel like accommodation, leading a bachelors life, most notably the Guru Hanuman Akhara in Delhi. The historic akhara of King Jarasandha of Magadha, finds mention in the Mahabharata."

Sushil Kumar himself lived and apparently still lives in an Akhara. An article I read stated he's been living at his current one for the past 15 years with many other wrestlers. He has an Indian coach Satpal Singh (Former Asian Games gold medalist) and always has. In fact all of his coaches are Indian. He started wrestling in mud pits and the akhara where he lives has both a sand/mud pit and a regular wrestling arena. I also noticed the ropes in that video and I read where Kumar said he does 100 rope climbs per day and does barely any actual weight training. I think that video is closer to the reality in India than you might expect. Here's a great article: http://www.timescrest.com/sports/is-sus ... -ever-8623

This is another cool article about Kumar's training regimen: http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 062_1.html

One more: http://articles.economictimes.indiatime ... shil-kumar

They had a non Indian coach cornering as well at Schultz.

As for training, they're wrestlers. Wake up, train, sleep, repeat the next day.

Bajrang will usually do a 4 to noon, break until 16:00 and then go until 20:00