Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Gatsalov world champ

every once in a while the hwy are not good wrestlers conversation creeps up. this is another example of wrestling skill that isn't present at 120 overcoming the size and strength of the 120kgers. gatsalov is an all-time great, but the fact is he can't win at 96kg right now. I get flamed hard on this subject every time, but I am sticking to my guns.

Hard to argue after today... athough Gatsalov is an all time great. There is a great opportunity here for anyone who wants to market a superstar matchup between Yazdani and Gatsalov. I would pay to watch that! I know they wrestled once before and Gatsalov won by injury default in the 3rd of a great match.

I do not think Gatsalov can beat Yazdani but it would be very possible. This was on a russian forum last year. Name the only wresrlers that have winning records against Yazdani? Answer Sajidov, Ketoev and Gatsalov. What an all time great set of185lbers. Sajidov was the smallest and never bumped up. Looking back Cael had maybe the toughest set of russians to deal with ever! But back to Gatsalov, he just smashed these heavies today. But yes Yazdani could win 185 through Heavweight also. I really dont think people give Gatsalov enough credit. He is the Heavyweight champ and Yazdani and Burroughs maybe the best out there but Gatsalov will surely go down now as maybe the one of the greastest ever. I do not see why he can not finish out this cycle through 2016 and win out. He destroyed these fat guys today!

If 120k is weak then all these great russian/other countries 96k guys need to bump up to 120 except Gadisov-he is really a true 185lb guy and would be really small.
Gatsalov has beaten the following world champs... Yazdani, Ketoev, Muradov (2x at least), Gayzumov (2x at least), Sanderson, Makhov (sx), Gogchelidze (many times), Kurtanidze (3x at least). Probably some others I dont know about, especally at 84 (I know he beat Sajidov in practice matches but dunno about tournaments.) Absolutely unreal. I think Yazdani would be favored as well, but it would be a great way to create inteest . Maybe AGON or someone like that wants to pay these two tanks to come wrestle an exhibition or something. I wish Gayzumov would bump to heavy, he always looks sucked at 96 and he's enormous. Mind you jsut because Gatsalov can do something doesnt mean others can. He's a legend for a reason. Other 96 kg world champs have bumped up to 120 and struggled.

He bumped up because he lost twice to Sajidov in 03 and 04 then bumped up right before the Olympics and won 211 after teh russian coach saw him beating KK easily. He then decided to stay at 211-Ketove never beat him but Ketov beat Saijodov howver Sajidov had a back injury in 2005 that he never really recovered from.

Was an incredible sick 185 class in Russia With A Satiev, Gatsalov, Keotov and Sajidov. Who was the best here? At there prime in one tourny I have to go with Sajidov. This is why B Satiev wouldnt bump up to 185

He bumped up because he lost twice to Sajidov in 03 and 04 then bumped up right before the Olympics and won 211 after teh russian coach saw him beating KK easily. He then decided to stay at 211-Ketove never beat him but Ketov beat Saijodov howver Sajidov had a back injury in 2005 that he never really recovered from.

Was an incredible sick 185 class in Russia With A Satiev, Gatsalov, Keotov and Sajidov. Who was the best here? At there prime in one tourny I have to go with Sajidov. This is why B Satiev wouldnt bump up to 185

Add in 2x champ Magomedov. I'll take Sajidov as well, though really any one could win. Saitiev is the most skiulled IMO but way too small.

I don't think B Satiev ever moved to 84kg because there was no reason to. A) he was dominating 74kg and B) he isn't big enough for 84kg. The truth is A Satiev wasn't big enough for 84kg either or should I say he was a natural 74kg but since his older brother occupied that spot tradition in that part of the world dictates Adam compete at another weight class since Buvaisar is older.

every once in a while the hwy are not good wrestlers conversation creeps up. this is another example of wrestling skill that isn't present at 120 overcoming the size and strength of the 120kgers. gatsalov is an all-time great, but the fact is he can't win at 96kg right now. I get flamed hard on this subject every time, but I am sticking to my guns.

Well, Gatsalov is a heavyweight now. It's not like he weights 96 kgs right now. On any given day he could still win at 96kgs. Gatsalov has also lost to Dlagnev recently so there is skill at this weight class.

Gatsalov was at 211 only a couple months before Worlds. He wrestled Tervel on short notice. He then a month to put on some weight. He would have destroyed Tervel also.

How big was the cut to 211? How much weight did he put on? Maybe his current weight is what he normally weighs before cutting to 211.

Russian forums say 225 for worlds weigh in. He was 214 for the tourny a month ago. He didnt look 225 to me but compared to guys cutting to make 265 that is probably what it is.

Is Dlagnev cutting to make 264? How many of our guys are cutting to make this weight?