Sign in to follow this  
rickybobby

Worlds - How did FILA do?

I know everyone wants to jump all over FILA, but let's at least acknowledge some of the improvements seen - although they have a long way to go.

Good

1) Live coverage very good. First time for me to ever watch the World Championships live. And it was free. Announcing was good. A+

2) Shot clock seems to be a good thing - breaks deadlocks and gets the scoring going.

3) Scoring and action seem to be way up. Making the TD 2pts while keeping the pushout seems to work. Never seem to be too far out of a match until a TF so it is difficult to sit on a lead.

4) Passivity calls seemed generally reasonable (even the Gomez match, he was pretty blatant in his running there). Much preferable to wrestling with no passivity.

Bad

1) No OT. There really isn't an argument against it now. Criteria, although I will refrain from calling it confusing, is not clearly displayed for wrestlers, coaches or fans and it really is impossible to do this in a timely manner. Leads to confusion at the end of bouts with the outcome unclear. Very easy OT would be just like the start of the match. 2 minutes - first to score and then criteria -which would be clearly announced before OT.

2) Either better separation criteria or full wrestlebacks. One or the other. What they have going now is ridiculous and the rationale behind the drive to get countries medals that don't deserve them is not based on anything. One reason given was to give traditionally weak countries incentive to develop wrestling through success. I don't see any evidence of that at all. In fact I see the stronger countries dominating more. I think another reason had something to do with telling the IOC that we had all these different countries that earned medals. How did that work out????

3) The FILA website. Couldn't handle the traffic during the world championships. It took me about 20 minutes to get the 3 different brackets open on my computer, once I realized I wasn't going to be able to switch back and forth between weights easily. Also, the brackets are TERRIBLE. How about the name and bout result moving forward on the bracket. I realize there is the little TV there for bout detail (which I like), but it was pretty much inaccessible during the tournament unless I wanted to spend 5 minutes reloading the bracket. How about adding the current FILA rankings (even though I have a problem with them) and/or a designation for past world champ/medalist to the wrestlers names to make them more fan friendly? How hard is this stuff to implement????

4) There was a comment on here about them not having brackets available at the tournament. Jeez, how can this happen?

Stuff I'd like to see addressed

1) and 1A) This is the most important thing I think we need to work on. Beyond simplification of the rules. Because that doesn't matter as long as we remain UNCLEAR in how we display/announce our scoring. I don't care if it's a language thing. Pick one language. Everyone will learn the scoring phrases in that language. Or pick hand signals. OUR SCORING NEEDS TO BE ANNOUNCED/DISPLAYED so it is clear to the viewer what happened. Even expert announcers are often unclear what was just awarded. Merely holding up 1 or 2 is not good enough. Take the Gomez match for example (I think it was that one). Tell me in one phrase or hand signal what the 1 was awarded for. This is vital to make our sport more viewer friendly. Of course it opens referees up for more criticism, but what world class sport's referees are not subject to criticism????????

2) There could be some tweaking and further simplification of the rules. Someone brought up the point of exposure happening before a TD and TD before an exposure not being scored the same. I understand that it has always been scored this way, but why does it have to remain this way? Need to simplify this or explain this to me why it is different. Or come up with another rule tweak, maybe all exposure without control should be 1? IDK

3) Tech fall. I'm not as vehement on this as some, but it should be more than 7. Possibly go to 8 and see how it goes. Definitely 10 for junior level and below.

I'm sure I can think of more in all categories. One thing I wanted to put under bad but thought it deserved it's own place was my reaction to Lalovic's pre tourney comment. "Prepare to be amazed." If that is the real thought process up there at FILA, it scares me. We have a LONG way to go. But on the whole the WC were very enjoyable to me. Hope we continue to improve.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it is not fan friendly for following the tournament if you are in attendance.

Very Bad

1. No brackets for sale on day two also. If you were lucky enough to sit by someone who got a copy from the coaches room, you could follow the progress through the brackets. For eveyone else, tough.

2. Internet - There is a strong signal in the building open to everyone, but password protected so open to nobody unless you have personal connections with someone who will share the password. So, no chance of pulling up the brackets on your phone or laptop.

Good

Matches were on time, well run, and the reffing was very good for the most part. The challenge system worked very well and protest were decided quickly and accurately, in my opinion. I loved the way they showed the move in question on the big screen so that everyone could see the protested call in slo-mo which put the officials in a position that kept the politics in check.

Nice touch on the title belt for the world champ. Kind of old-school boxing style, but will look awesome on Jordan's wall.

Original post is dead on IMO. Not much to add. There were exciting matches and boring ones like any other year but the ratio seems to be up in favor of good ones. Guys are trying to conserve energy by getting a quick tech instead of stalling. Shot clock worked surprisingly well, I would have like to seen the 55 kg final decided by technical points but that is how it goes. Replays were of reasonable length- much better. aren't there yet but it is clear FILA is making improvements to the product and hopefully continue to do so. Ill just repeat that criteria is stupid and that we need seeded brackets wrestled over a whole day, not a half day. Easy things to fix IMO.

The OP and I share a lot of sentiments. Here are a few things I want to highlight and/or add that other people have already mentioned.

1) One FULL day of wrestling- FILA says that we have 1 weight class/day, but in reality it really happens over a half-day. Start at 9am, go until 8-9pm, expand the wrestle-backs. Maybe start with pulling wrestlers who lost to a semifinalist back in.

2) Clearer indication of scoring- I have no idea what happened in the Gomez match. In folkstyle, refs do little hand gestures for every score (picture the rolling hands for a reversal, tapping a shoulder for nearfall etc.), why not in FILA? Some refs already do a karate chop type motion to illustrate an out-of-bounds call, and a T sign for a penalty; more of this.

3) Finals in a dual meet structure- All weight classes go back to back, like a dual, the NCAA or a high school state finals. This could be out of the realm of posibility for FILA right now, but worth mentioning. It's silly that I have to take my lunch at 10am PST for 3 days in a row to catch the Men's FS finals live. Thank goodness I don't care enough about Greco or Women's to keep this up for a whoel week.

I disagree with the shot clock passivity call, at least with how its being used by official/referees. From what I have seen there is no rhyme or reason to who gets put on the shot clock and who doesn't. Like with Tervel's semi's match they were both just pushing against each other hand fighting and not really able to move the opponent. Same movement and yet Tervel gets put on the clock and loses a point. I think he would have lost the match anyway when the only real shot he took was with 5 seconds left but at the point of the first shot clock they were doing the exact same thing.

I don't trust FILA referees to be unbiased in their application of the shot clock. Not at all actually.

I will give them an "I" for improving. Hopefully things keep improving for them to get a true grade. The last minute rule modification of all takedowns being two points was a step in the right direction. Next to go should be the 2 three-point moves end a match and then we can work the way down the list of other improvements.

Several people have complained about the lack of Wi-Fi. It's not like you get free Wi-Fi at major sporting events in the US. There was no Wi-Fi at the NCAA tournament, nor was there an expectation of such. Same goes for any professional contest in the big three sports.

I know everyone wants to jump all over FILA, but let's at least acknowledge some of the improvements seen - although they have a long way to go.

Good

1) Live coverage very good. First time for me to ever watch the World Championships live. And it was free. Announcing was good. A+

A for effort. C for product. Live streaming has come a long way in the past decade and this was definitely a throw-back. We need to expect more. Higher quality feed, consistent uptime, adaptive bitrate, etc. Announcing was a big upgrade and the graphic overlay was very good. So there were some positives

2) Shot clock seems to be a good thing - breaks deadlocks and gets the scoring going.

Disagree. Shot clock is a non-essential rule. I did not see one match where the shot clock or the threat of the shot clock made the wrestlers compete any differently. Not to mention it results in a caution which is higher up on the tiebreak than last score, so an arbitrary call is worth more than an actual score.

3) Scoring and action seem to be way up. Making the TD 2pts while keeping the pushout seems to work. Never seem to be too far out of a match until a TF so it is difficult to sit on a lead.

2 pt TD was great. Forces you to wrestle the whole match. This was excellent.

4) Passivity calls seemed generally reasonable (even the Gomez match, he was pretty blatant in his running there). Much preferable to wrestling with no passivity.

Passivity is a negative rule. I'd like to see only cautions and points for obvious fleeing, literally avoiding contact. Everything else can be taken care of with basic rules. You can't make action happen, only encourage it.

Bad

1) No OT. There really isn't an argument against it now. Criteria, although I will refrain from calling it confusing, is not clearly displayed for wrestlers, coaches or fans and it really is impossible to do this in a timely manner. Leads to confusion at the end of bouts with the outcome unclear. Very easy OT would be just like the start of the match. 2 minutes - first to score and then criteria -which would be clearly announced before OT.

No brainer.

2) Either better separation criteria or full wrestlebacks. One or the other. What they have going now is ridiculous and the rationale behind the drive to get countries medals that don't deserve them is not based on anything. One reason given was to give traditionally weak countries incentive to develop wrestling through success. I don't see any evidence of that at all. In fact I see the stronger countries dominating more. I think another reason had something to do with telling the IOC that we had all these different countries that earned medals. How did that work out????

Agree.

3) The FILA website. Couldn't handle the traffic during the world championships. It took me about 20 minutes to get the 3 different brackets open on my computer, once I realized I wasn't going to be able to switch back and forth between weights easily. Also, the brackets are TERRIBLE. How about the name and bout result moving forward on the bracket. I realize there is the little TV there for bout detail (which I like), but it was pretty much inaccessible during the tournament unless I wanted to spend 5 minutes reloading the bracket. How about adding the current FILA rankings (even though I have a problem with them) and/or a designation for past world champ/medalist to the wrestlers names to make them more fan friendly? How hard is this stuff to implement????

Grade - F

4) There was a comment on here about them not having brackets available at the tournament. Jeez, how can this happen?

Grade - F

Stuff I'd like to see addressed

1) and 1A) This is the most important thing I think we need to work on. Beyond simplification of the rules. Because that doesn't matter as long as we remain UNCLEAR in how we display/announce our scoring. I don't care if it's a language thing. Pick one language. Everyone will learn the scoring phrases in that language. Or pick hand signals. OUR SCORING NEEDS TO BE ANNOUNCED/DISPLAYED so it is clear to the viewer what happened. Even expert announcers are often unclear what was just awarded. Merely holding up 1 or 2 is not good enough. Take the Gomez match for example (I think it was that one). Tell me in one phrase or hand signal what the 1 was awarded for. This is vital to make our sport more viewer friendly. Of course it opens referees up for more criticism, but what world class sport's referees are not subject to criticism????????

Very good point. Fans have to be the focal point. If fans understand, you know athletes and coaches understand.

2) There could be some tweaking and further simplification of the rules. Someone brought up the point of exposure happening before a TD and TD before an exposure not being scored the same. I understand that it has always been scored this way, but why does it have to remain this way? Need to simplify this or explain this to me why it is different. Or come up with another rule tweak, maybe all exposure without control should be 1? IDK

Simplify. Less distinction the better.

3) Tech fall. I'm not as vehement on this as some, but it should be more than 7. Possibly go to 8 and see how it goes. Definitely 10 for junior level and below.

Tech fall has to go way up or away altogether based on what I said earlier. Rest time for athletes and exertion per match has to be standardized. Too many guys lost on having a tough match followed by another tough match 15 minutes later, with an opponent who got a much easier draw and a 90 second TF.

I'm sure I can think of more in all categories. One thing I wanted to put under bad but thought it deserved it's own place was my reaction to Lalovic's pre tourney comment. "Prepare to be amazed." If that is the real thought process up there at FILA, it scares me. We have a LONG way to go. But on the whole the WC were very enjoyable to me. Hope we continue to improve.

Good post.

Several people have complained about the lack of Wi-Fi. It's not like you get free Wi-Fi at major sporting events in the US. There was no Wi-Fi at the NCAA tournament, nor was there an expectation of such. Same goes for any professional contest in the big three sports.

I'm not sure where you live, but on the west coast it is common to have free wifi at major venues or you can access it for a small fee. A friend of mine has a full time profession of making sure that wifi is properly installed at major venues and has good coverage throughout all the seating. Its been at Fargo for years and many other smaller venues.

They have the wifi set-up at the Papp Lazslo arena. It just isn't open to the fans.

I'm not sure where you live, but on the west coast it is common to have free wifi at major venues or you can access it for a small fee. A friend of mine has a full time profession of making sure that wifi is properly installed at major venues and has good coverage throughout all the seating. Its been at Fargo for years and many other smaller venues.

They have the wifi set-up at the Papp Lazslo arena. It just isn't open to the fans.

Free WIFI is rare at major venues. This compounds the problem of spotty phone network due to overwhelming the networks with concentrated usage.

The NFL has mandated that all stadiums provide WIFI because so many fans want to watch all of the other games, but so far only a couple have implemented it. You are lucky if you can make a phone call at Mile High on Sundays.

Free WIFI is rare at major venues. This compounds the problem of spotty phone network due to overwhelming the networks with concentrated usage.

The NFL has mandated that all stadiums provide WIFI because so many fans want to watch all of the other games, but so far only a couple have implemented it. You are lucky if you can make a phone call at Mile High on Sundays.

The PAC 12 and AT&T are addressing the issue in stadiums and arenas conference wide as a part of their P12N carriage agreement.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... you-think/

The matter of free or at a cost isn't addressed, but it sounds like probably free to the attending fans as its a part of the agreement that benefits both parties. Charging, creating a barrier to what you're trying to use as an enticement by the schools and a relief to the stressed cell system during games for providers, would be counter productive.

PS: we'll have to wait and see how well it works, and how soon it actually happens...

But the underline isn't exactly accurate. If someone's tied 5-5 and its 2-2-1 vs. 3-2, it underlines the last score and not the 3 pointer being the tie-breaker. New system i believe being tried out for first time.

I noticed that myself. The underline is worse than having nothing.