Sign in to follow this  
armspin

FS thoughts

Ill try to catch Burroughs matches tomorrow, as well as some of the women's and greco (esp, the loaded 74 class) but I won't be as glued to the screen after today. My final thoughts on the first 6 weight.

55- a bit unsatisfying to be honest. Isralipov had those amazing matches, but he should have been pinned in his first one and had nothing left for the semis. A new star is born in India's Kumar and it was too bad to see him lose on a passivity. Still congratulations to the veteran Rahimi who wins his first title.

60- Goygeerev made this his personal playground, all techs and pins. His real world championship came at the Russian nationals where he beat Kudukhov. /So flashy and fun to watch! Was disappointed Khinegashvilli went out early. Esmailour was the mirror of Israpilov, won some wild early matches and was too gassed for the semis. Glad to see him get his medal, he took a lot of flak from Iranian fans the last few years.

66: Wrestle this weight 5x you'd get 5 different winners. The Armenian was just so clutch, beat Kurbanaliev and Lopez on late TDs, I didn't see the semi but it was a 1 pt match as well. The Cubans just seem to struggle in the final. Lopez had some highlight reel matches earlier, and an awful 1-0 win over Garcia, I was pulling hard for him to win but he just can't score enough against the best guys. Taghavi has no one but himself to blame for his loss, he isn't one of the original golden pylons for nothing:)

Nice synopsis, I'll throw in my two useless cents

55: I agree Israpilov was probably stuck, but I think he is the new star at this weight. His match with the Georgian was awesome, but it was terrible to see him have to wrestle again 15 min later. Lebedeev settled for bronze his first time out, followed by a couple gold's, I'll make an early prediction and say history repeats itself for this guy too.

60: Totally agree, the Russian is a stud. That said, I still think Kudukhov is the best in the world. Watch their match at Russian nationals, if takedowns were 2 points Kudukhov wins and probably wins his 5th world title. Reece Humphrey impressed me a lot, I didn't think he was a serious medal threat but he proved me wrong. Gomez doesn't seem to fair very well in repechage, I thought he would come back for bronze at the Olympics, figured he would come back and at least wrestle for bronze here, it didn't happen either time.

66: Totally agree again. Lots of depth here, lot of evenly matched wrestlers, this is always a fun weight to watch.

Going a bit further

84: This seems to be a year of redemption for some older stars, at least in the upper weights. Aldatov is 30, Yazdani 29, Gatsalov has to be up there as well. This weight was wide open, the bottom quarter bracket was brutal, Salas look tough after a few years off. This could be a weight that doesn't have a clear cut, head and shoulders above the rest favorite for a while, especially if Sharifov stays at 96.

96: Redemption for Yadzani, proving he's still got it for Gaymazov. How much longer can these two dominate this weight is the question now. They aren't getting any younger, the Russians have a ton if depth with young stars here, will be interesting the next few years. This weight is very entertaining to watch, big guys that wrestle like lower weights!

120: Another gold for Gatsalov, wow. Even further solidifies him as an all time great. That Ukrainian was very impressive, until the finals anyway. He beat 3 very good wrestlers to get there, and looked dominant doing so. I think he is young and could be a future superstar for this weight. Dlagnev can beat the best in the world, he just can't seem to string it together in one tournament. The Georgian here is very young too from what I read, he could be making noise here for a long time to come as well.

84 kg: another wide open weight. I really want to see Aldatov's training regimen, he looks so awful most of the year and so inredible at worlds. Hits a ton of high altitude type throws in addition to his textbook ankle lace. Another Cuban falls apart under the bright lights after beating Sokhiev and Lashgari. I really thought Lashgari was going to take it, not sure if the tough draw wore him out or if Salas was just better. I just feel bad for Dato at this point, he fell apart again.

96: Loved the clash of the Titans matchup in the finals. Yazdani wasn't even supposed to wrestle due to injury and he goes out and wins this thing. Gayzumov looked a bit gassed again, might be cutting too much weight? Love Boltukaev's style as well, For my money Yazdani would win an open weight wrestling tournament. I really want AGON or someone else to set up a challenge match between the two for the fans.

120: Don't know what to say about Gatsalov that hasn't already been said, Legend in his own time. IF he keeps winning gold medals he'll enter Saitiev type territory. Zazeev, the guy he beat in the final, is a fellow Ossetian (who was at 96 for a while too, I think), and he just ragdolled the #1 ranked Agkul earlier. . I wonder if there is history between the two of them. Geno, the guy Gatsalov pinned in the semis, was the Jr, world champ and will supposedly be the next big thing. Sucks for Dlagnev to be 5th again ,dont know what to say about that.

Only watched JB matches and some of Irans. Burroughs was incredible. Hope for more star wrestlers in the bracket next year. Reffing sucke\d in the finals. Good job Iran gutting it out in several tough wins to take the team title for his country! Evan Macdonald lost close to the Georgian who placed fifth, Im sure hes not happy but I thought it was a good preformance for someone who more or less retired a long time ago.