Sign in to follow this  
yazdani

USA - IRAN Final at 74

good for the iranians, they are having a hell of a tournament. their 2 wrestlers who didn't make the podium at 66 and 120 aren't exactly slouches either.

iran and russia have definitely separated themselves from the rest of the field. i think overall, outside of this tournament, russia still has the best program, but its nice to see another legit challenger.

outside those two i don't really see a clear 3rd. not including 74, 17 different nations placed a wrestlers in the top 5, including china and spain. none of those 17 teams placed more than 3 in the top 5. Georgia has two 5's and a 3 and no one contending at 74kgs. the USA will have two 5s and a 1 or a 2.

azerbaijan has a 2 and a potential 3 or 5 (or nothing). uzebekistan has either a 3 or a 5 and nothing. japan has potentially a 3 or a 5 or they could be shut out of top 5 finishes completely.

the US could have done better but i dont think realistic expectations were could be much higher. certainly as a fan i was rooting for me, but in no way could this tournament constitute a disaster or call for drastic overhauls of anything. it was a 2 team race, and the USA is right there with the rest of the 2nd tier teams.

Was the Uzbeki really small for 74 or is the Iranian kid that big? I understand that he was almost a full head taller than Kurbanov, but physically he looked a monster next to Kurbanov.

And then to go from the CADET world finals three weeks ago to the SENIOR world finals... and down two weight classes no less? Man! Who is this kid and how old is he?

I could be wrong but I think the Iranian win in the semis gave them the team title.

The town of Juybar gets the title. ))

At the wordls, this small town is represented by 4 wrestlers: 60, 74, 96 and 120.

3 of them go back home with medals. )))

In Juybar, there is even a wrestlers monument that can been seen in a picture in Wiki, though under snow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juybar

That's definitely not right. This is the guy who Burroughs faced at the World Cup this past spring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vwIBfmpi90 I think the final was 2-0,4-0.

I'm sure it's just a more common name than some suspect given its length. For example, after a quick YouTube search Iran also has someone named Aliasghar Akbarizarinkolaei competing at 100kg. Tofurky does the Cadet you're referring to have the first initial E. as well?

And then to go from the CADET world finals three weeks ago to the SENIOR world finals... and down two weight classes no less? Man! Who is this kid and how old is he?

Wait, where did this info come from? I have to think this is false...

Foeldeak database... same tournament Aaron Pico won last month. The brackets courtesy of themat.com leave out three vowels from his name and he's the only one in the database with a name like that.

I'm seeing the mistake Tofurky, the database mistakenly lists these two different competitors as being the same person. It claims that Aliasghar is competing at 74kg today, but it's actually Ezzatollah. You can watch the video of the other Akbarizarinkolaei, their body types and (obviously) size are completely different. The Iranian is listed as "Essadollah Akbari" in the database and he is young, turning 21 last month.

I'm seeing the mistake Tofurky, the database mistakenly lists these two different competitors as being the same person. It claims that Aliasghar is competing at 74kg today, but it's actually Ezzatollah. You can watch the video of the other Akbarizarinkolaei, their body types and (obviously) size are completely different. The Iranian is listed as "Essadollah Akbari" in the database and he is young, turning 21 last month.

Thanks for clearing that up, bwh. I had seen Ezzatollah listed as Akbari, but then checked the brackets thinking they had it right. As I previously mentioned, themat.com brackets have it wrong, too. Oh well. I was wrong.

Was Goudarzi injured or is he just taking time away from the mat for now?