Sign in to follow this  
fullnelson

Officials way too involved

These officials constantly interrupt the flow of matches. Is it because they have so many of them, so when they do officiate a match, they feel like they are being so closely scrutinized they have to perform as well. It so distracts from the match. With this shot clock thing, I'm seeing misapplication as well. Burrough's semi-final match-why was he put on the clock when the other guy did zero.

The shot clock is working better than the clinch.

The problem is FILA has no strong central control. FILA's leaders all have national and regional biases, much like the refs. So it's really difficult to crack down on bad calls when the leadership itself disagrees on whether specific calls are bad.

In the world of the possible, the shot clock is a good thing. I wish it was better executed, however.

It is working better than the idiotic clinch you are right on that.

but that isn't saying much because it isn't working well at all. There has to be a middle ground.

And the refs are way too involved. No one went there to watch the refs perform so step back, shut up, and keep your hands to yourself.

I think it's doing what it intended - forcing action and scoring without being too intrusive.

I think the biggest issue so far is that refs almost universally call the same guy for passivity twice in a row. Often both guys are doing nothing in the first minute, then they both continue to do nothing and they always hit the same guy again.

Any rule that involves a ref's judgement I don't like but at the same time it's not a bad of a rule as I thought it was.

IMO the shot clock worked great, much better than watching people just stall all day. The obvious exception is the 74 kg final, where the officials let Iran play on his knees all match, and even gave Burroughs a shot clock for some reason.

At some point, the passivity rule will cost JB a match.

This entire match flowed the same way. A passivity against Burroughs in the first might well have been another in the second. What was the difference?

The Iranian is impressive. I think Goudarzi will no longer represent Iran.

It seems the best strategy against Burroughs now is to hunker down, hold position, and wait for the ref to put him on the shot clock.

As I say, just wait for Greco and see how the shot clock gets applied against us. Hope I am wrong.

You are wrong because greco has no shot clock.

He looked a little tight, but it doesnt help when the guy is that defensive the whole match.

Wasn't trying to take away from the match IRI gave either in terms of the strategy or implementation just mentioning it to give a possible explanation for the officials calls. (I didn't agree with them but...)

It seems the best strategy against Burroughs now is to hunker down, hold position, and wait for the ref to put him on the shot clock.

As I say, just wait for Greco and see how the shot clock gets applied against us. Hope I am wrong.

You are wrong because greco has no shot clock.

Yes, you're right. I know. Meant passivity.