Sign in to follow this  
DF

My Journey to 2nd Place

DF does not like being referred to as a satirist or as being funny. It diminishes the importance of his anti-heroic message. I read DF more like Hemingway than Heller.

This is true, and one could reach that conclusion simply by noting the appearance of said authors' facial hair.

Hemingway-heller.jpg

DF does not like being referred to as a satirist or as being funny. It diminishes the importance of his anti-heroic message. I read DF more like Hemingway than Heller.

This is true, and one could reach that conclusion simply by noting the appearance of said authors' facial hair.

Hemingway-heller.jpg

bump

icon_post_target.gifby bwh27 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:16 pm

That might be the greatest post I have read on the website...other than the ones DF himself makes.

The longer I was on my back, the weaker I grew. Like a middle aged man in a vapid and loveless marriage, I too was emotionally downtrodden. Do I fight on with a shred of hope that my situation will improve or do I call it a day? The sound of the crowd was now at a deafening roar. Wrestling fans are a fickle bunch. Probably more than in any other sport they like to see the favorite lose. They love the proverbial underdog. That is as long as that wrestler remains an underdog. As soon as he becomes a contender, well then, those same fans salivate like a band of wild hyenas at the thought of him falling from grace.

And that was exactly what was happening as I lay there on my back giving a half-assed bridge on center mat. They had come to snuff the roster. The crowd grew louder and louder, and it was imminent that the ref would be caught up in the hysteria and call the pin, regardless of whether it was actually a pin or not, all to satiate the ferocious appetite of the crowd.

Staring up at those soft fluorescent lights, my mind wandered back to all those practices I had slacked on earlier in the season. While my teammates sprinted, I walked down the street. Always asking myself why am I so soft when the rest of my team is so hard? I need to get off my back and I'll have my shot at redemeption. Don't want to end up in the consolation bracket, in a consolation bracket graveyard. Bridge harder, bridge harder. The ref can't get flat on the mat to look for the pin because of his beerbelly, beerbelly. Get these fans away from me! You know I don't find this sport amusing anymore! Where are my fans and teammates? What if I get pinned here? Who'll be my coach? Now that my coach is gone. He ducked back the tunnel with some roly-poly assistant coach. All along there were incidents and fluke pin accidents. But there would be hints and allegations of me throwing this match...

The comparison to Hemingway is awful. EH was a "man's man" who loved to hunt, fish and fight. Not the anti-heroic sort at all.

I didn't say that DF writes like Hemingway or that they have remotely similar philosophies. I said that I read DF more like Hemingway than Heller, which is to say that his prose is serious and not satiric. I said this because when accused of satire in the past, DF vehemently denied the label. There is nothing funny about Jadidi, his epic mustache, self-slams or building insurmountable leads only to get disqualified for stalling in the final seconds. Given the context, analyzing the quality of the comparison is a bit silly.

The comparison to Hemingway is a bad one, as I am actually entertained by DF.

Yes, there is a way to read Hemingway, and a way not to read him (much the same with DF) and that is, I believe what separates those who love his writing, and those who don't. Personally, having read well over 50,000 books, I place Hemingway in the top 5.

What is more anti-heroic, Hemmingway's self shot or DF's self slam?

Death is usually a bigger deal than loses, but tragedy is usually more intense when it is unique.... so what do you think?

"if you win you live, you lose you die" -Tom Brands

According to Tom brands DF's self slam is just as anti-heroic as Hemingway's self shot. Being a Tom Brands fan I have to agree. Truly epic antiheroism Mr DF. Lol

Hemingway spent a lot of time on the battlefield during WW2 and it had an enormous influence on the rest of his life and work. Were he alive today, he would likely have been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Instead he became a raging alcoholic as well as an avid sportsman and traveler. He also did some writing.

He killed himself because he suffered from mental illness. It's sad but not anti-heroic.

Hemingway spent a lot of time on the battlefield during WW2 and it had an enormous influence on the rest of his life and work. Were he alive today, he would likely have been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Instead he became a raging alcoholic as well as an avid sportsman and traveler. He also did some writing.

He killed himself because he suffered from mental illness. It's sad but not anti-heroic.

I believe DF actually went on to graduate from an IVY school and got a pretty good paying gig after being damnatio memoraied from his HS alma mater