Sign in to follow this  
Roadkill

Burroughs Ankle!!!

Where is this confirmed? If this is true, than this Gold is one for the record books

Legend. Friggin' legend. You expect the worlds after the Olympics to feature new blood and while this one did to some degree, burroughs, Yazdani, Gatsalov and arguably Aldatov all had legacy type preformances that we will talk about for a long time.

He went to the same attacks, but he was much more patient. Granted he stayed in excellent position and his technique has improved so much, no way that he would have won a world title two years ago under the same circumstances or maybe even last year. If you watch Burroughs in previous Worlds/Olympics he has more motion to get opponents out of position. He still struck lightning fast when opponents took a bad shot or when he absolutely had to score.

I'd heard from a good source that he had broken his ankle the day after it happened. The source said broken/sprained. A break is actually easier than the sprain. This shows how smart a wrestler Burroughs is. You have to be lucky and good to win world titles. Burroughs was lucky he broke it long enough ago that he could be nearly completely healed by the competition.

We have depth at 163, just wish we could get close to this amount of depth in the other weights.

Anyone seem to notice difference in wrestling style as an adjustment to the ankle?

I didn't.

Starting to think JB is of mechanical origins

Less motion, and his stance was more upright. Fewer reshots and pump fakes.

he couldnt get the corner to bite on the out.....

says Willie Saylor:

Unshakeable.

Rival competitors, injuries, cheap shots, wrestlers shutting down on him, time. Nothing could stop the determination and resolve of Jordan Burroughs, the pound-for-pound best wrestler in the world.

Unshakeable and Unblemished.

Burroughs is now 65-0 in international competition after winning his 3rd straight World/Olympic title.

Incredible as that sounds, the back story sounds even more fictitious; on August 22nd, while training at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Burroughs broke his ankle in the morning workout. The break required surgery.

Ladies and gentlemen, Jordan Burroughs just outscored his opponents 34-3 with a metal plate and five screws in his ankle 27 days after surgery.

I just can't wrap my head around the fact he was able to recover enough to win a gold medal. Aside from the obvious mobility issues, how was he able to have the cardio to take it to his opponents like he did in the 2nd period? Unbelievable!

An interview I saw posted elsewhere of him said that he became good friends with the airdyne thanks to coach manning and he hates that friend. lol

Edit

Re: the question about any noticeable differences I didn't notice any favoring or limping of his injured left ankle. The only difference I noticed was that JB received more passivity calls than normal. Could this be the result of an injured ankle? I actually thought the passivity calls were incorrect calls and should have been charged against JB's opponent as I thought I saw (through Red, White and Blue lenses of course) JB controlling the movement and action prior to the passivity calls. And to receive a caution of face contact against the Belarus opponent was ridiculous. JB won despite a major injury to his ankle and unfavorable officiating. I particularly liked that in each and every instance where he was charged with passivity he scored and was not penalized as a result of the call.

After this event, JB now has the fastest defense to go along with his offense. It seemed even the camera couldn't capture the initial reaction. Good luck World.

I noticed he didn't have a problem being the aggressor (after intelligently waiting for openings), and he didn't have a problem being a counter wrestler. What a tough combo.