Sign in to follow this  
Brutus81

Burroughs Injury Update

So, Burroughs wins the gold less than one month after fracturing his medial malleolus (ankle), and undergoing surgery, with a plate and 5 screws.

Just un-believable.

Wouldn't believe it if I saw it in a movie.

You commonly get plates and screws if the break is bad. They also give them to world class professional athletes as a measure to support a less serious fracture, giving the bone a chance to heal while remaining active with it. With the activity actually making it twice as long to heal. So the idea of breaking the bone again isn't the real problem. The problem is competing and training with associative swelling and mobility issues due to the swelling.

He looked as if he had amazing mobility just 4 weeks out from the procedure.

How did the injury happen? Seems a lot more serious and complicated than what you commonly see from training, such as sprained ankles.

in the interview he said he was doing sprints and jumped off the wall to change directions. i hate when i see guys do that and now i have some justification to not let them do it.

he broke it while jumping off the wall during his sprints

Is this true? As in, he was doing sprints from wall to wall, and was jumping into the wall to turn around and push off with his foot to keep his momentum going? If so, then I'm really glad it didn't screw him over, because I had a friend who broke his ankle doing this exact thing in college, which is why to this day I tell kids not to use this technique when doing wall sprints.

How did the injury happen? Seems a lot more serious and complicated than what you commonly see from training, such as sprained ankles.

in the interview he said he was doing sprints and jumped off the wall to change directions. i hate when i see guys do that and now i have some justification to not let them do it.

OK, I hadn't seen that yet. I have always told kids not to do this, and now there's another example. It's very tempting to use this method because it's so easy and you do go faster, but I've told kids that not only is it safer to come to a stop and use your hand to touch the wall, but it also makes it harder because you have to slow down more and restart, so it's a harder workout. I can easily imagine flying to the wall going full speed and shattering an ankle.