Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

So How Would Dake Have Done if JB Wasn't Superhuman?

He would maybe be a favorite in all those matches leading to the finals, but it's a lot to ask to win them all unless you're head and shoulders above the competition. The opponents have the advantage of being wily veterans (especially in the case of Hasanov and semifinals) whereas Dake is new blood that they haven't prepared for. It would have been interesting. It's especially difficult to speculate because we've only seen him wrestle one foreign competitor, the Iranian at BTS who is tough and experienced but not the same quality as the wrestler who they sent.

Edit: Actually I checked and the Iranian from BTS (Hassan Tahmasebi) actually beat Akbari during their World Team Trials in an early round. But because it's a double elimination tournament Tahmasebi did not make the finals and Akbari won the Trials. I wonder how his results have been against Goudarzi, obviously he's lost but it could be more interesting in the future as he gains experience.

Predicting this kind of thing is difficult. Look at how many people predicted a medal for Metcalf because of the new rules, yet he lost his first match to a guy who promptly lost his next one.

Dake has no international experience, as good as he is, and if Burroughs was on the shot clock a lot, I can only imagine how often Dake would have been.

On the other hand, anything can happen, and one of our top finishers was a late replacement. Dake has been able to meet most challenges put in his path.

Predicting this kind of thing is difficult. Look at how many people predicted a medal for Metcalf because of the new rules, yet he lost his first match to a guy who promptly lost his next one.

Dake has no international experience, as good as he is, and if Burroughs was on the shot clock a lot, I can only imagine how often Dake would have been.

On the other hand, anything can happen, and one of our top finishers was a late replacement. Dake has been able to meet most challenges put in his path.

I agree. You can't really predict these things. On the one hand, Dake barely got by Howe and got teched by Burroughs. But then he came back and took Burroughs into OT. Who knows how he'd do over a series of world-level matches.

Dake is marvelous but Burroughs is one of the most athletically gifted athletes competing in any sport today. He may actually be the best of the best. I sincerely doubt Dake could have won 27 days after breaking his ankle....but that's just speculation on my part.

Dake just lost in fantasy post-injury competition.

By scribe's standards every single poster on here should assert that Dake would have rolled through the 2013 Worlds easily even if he had broken his ankle three weeks beforehand. He won 4 NCAA titles people!! Predicting he'd lose (or even maybe lose!) within the context of a hypothetical is unacceptable. Go worship David "Unicorn" Taylor you pathetic sheeple.

Funny folks. How Dake would do is a big question mark. His experience is low at this freestyle level. Would love to see him at more international tournaments. Anyone know if he is going to start going to them?

Dake just lost in fantasy post-injury competition.

By scribe's standards every single poster on here should assert that Dake would have rolled through the 2013 Worlds easily even if he had broken his ankle three weeks beforehand. He won 4 NCAA titles people!! Predicting he'd lose (or even maybe lose!) within the context of a hypothetical is unacceptable. Go worship David "Unicorn" Taylor you pathetic sheeple.

Haha yeah Scribe loves to suck on the Dake teet!

I figured it would take at least one day for the Dake World threads to start. Silly me.