Sign in to follow this  
rhino184

Is Burroughs the World's Greatest Athlete

I am going to say that he actually might be. The way he moves, positions, and thinks, in a sport that requires endurance, chess like concentration, snake like reactions and actions, strength poised against immense strength backed by tremendous will, and does so in such an amazing dominant manner could back that up. Add in the broken ankle, my brother actually helped him move into his house and he could not even walk and I thought he was done and had interrupted an amazing run with the dreaded injury bug that has damaged so many great athletes careers, he pulled a John Stockton and didn't miss a beat. I am going to say he very well could be the Worlds greatest athlete.

He is a great athlete, and certainly among the upper echelon in the world, but nobody will ever be able to come to a consensus on what defines the best. For one thing, fans and athletes in any sport will always think very highly of their own sport, and will be biased as to what constitutes the hardest sport. Therefore it's not surprising that the writer of this blog post was a college wrestler. Many fans in other sports will have different views on what attributes are exhibited by the worlds "greatest" athletes. The blog mentions LeBron James coming up short in his first NBA finals, while Burroughs is undefeated. But wrestling is an individual sport, whereas LeBron can't win the NBA finals on his own. In baseball, having a winning percentage above 0.600 is considered extremely good. In wrestling if your record was 0.600 you'd be a scrub. And then there's guys like Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt, who have becomes icons in their sports through their Olympic exploits. Usain Bolt repeated as champ in the Olympics against a field that included several former record holders and world medalists. I bet track fans think he's one of the greatest athletes. And the NFL is chocked full of amazing athletes. Burroughs would stack up to any of them, but you'd never convince a non-wrestler that Burroughs is the best athlete in the world.

Whether you think he is the best or not, it's worth considering what type of competition he has. Guys like LeBron, Ashton Eaton, and Adrian Peterson have been mentioned, but there is also RGIII, a Heisman trophy winner and Rookie of the Year in a sport way more popular than wrestling who also happened to be a semifinalist in the Olympic Trials in the 400 meter hurdles.

Absolutely hands down the greatest athlete.

Did you notice he basically wrestled on one leg. His left leg was so atrophied from the ankle operation that is what half the size of his right leg and he still won convincingly.

I hope he takes some time off to heal and get back to 100% healthy!

Somewhere in the social media sphere, there is a video of Burroughs hitting a golf drive. No one with a swing as atrocious as his is the greatest athlete in the world. Greatest wrestler in the world, yes IMO. Greatest overall athlete? No frigging way.

Go ahead and flame away, but it's true.

It's just extremely difficult to compare different sports. If the standard is elite performance and defying the odds despite a major injury then Adrian Peterson certainly did that last year. Michael Jordan is not going to win any awards for generosity, but him and Barry Sanders are probably the most graceful athletes I've ever seen - not to mention competitiveness that is way way off the charts (which adds to him being an ******* btw). Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders were all-stars in two major sports, that's insane. It's subjective because different people weigh different criteria more, there's not a black and white formula that defines athleticism. That being said, I'd put Burroughs up against anyone. On top of a tremendous work ethic and showing unbelievable composure/toughness under duress and in pressure situations - JB has speed, power, strength, technique, balance, timing, etc that are absolutely off the charts even for the highest level of wrestling.

As for his golf swing, I assume you're less than 100% serious. Michael Jordan has spent countless hours golfing (Burroughs has probably spent almost no time) and he's notoriously mediocre given his commitment. Charles Barkley is even worse and golfs all the time. At the professional level athleticism is relevant to golf, but overall that's hardly a good sport to measure athleticism on, especially for a beginner.

Thing one: I know that this is just bar topic banter, because it actually will never matter and will never be decided. Which is better Ford or Chevy? Which religion is more true? Who is more correct, Republicans, or Democrats?.....

Thing two: Change athlete for competitor, Michael Jordon beats Jordon Burroughs is one on one basketball, Jordon Burroughs beats Michael Jordon in wrestling but in their element there might be an element of the effort, capability, will, grit, guts etc that could be considered in an argument like this.

Thing three: the world would be a lot better if we respected others opinions with out caring or worrying about what other people think. I know what I know about the dynamic of wrestling, it is the root and foundation of my life, I have my opinions about what it takes to get to the point that Burroughs has gotten to and I didn't say with a definitive absolute that he is the Worlds Greatest Athlete, but I do think it could be considered that he might be and it is not an argument I worry about winning, so.... I don't care what anyone else thinks.

What is definition of world's greatest athlete?

If you are talking pure athleticism , I would say no. Take for instance Lebron James is 260lbs, built like an Ox, and unbelievably quick, now imagine if he was a wrestler.

I will say he is our greatest wrestler ever. I am convinced of that now. John Smith was great but come on here. I personally think Cael was better than Smith but the number of titles dont lie Smith is the man for now on paper. I am convinced after watching Gatsalov just dominate 120k and just remember CAel picking him apart but losing on a big move at the end. If only Cael and Gable wrestled more-we will never know. No one with that potential should retire so early. I am including high school and college also with international holding the most weight.

1.Burroughs-he keeps getting better, it is simply amazing. 70-0 in this era of less weights puts him #1 in my mind even if he retired today.

Cael

Gable

Smith

Ueteke

Bruce. I really dont think he belongs here but his numbers dont lie and he has more hardware that any other wrestler.

What is definition of world's greatest athlete?

If you are talking pure athleticism , I would say no. Take for instance Lebron James is 260lbs, built like an Ox, and unbelievably quick, now imagine if he was a wrestler.

This is a good point. I'm not ready to crown anyone as World's Greatest, but you need to at least prove your candidate is a better athlete than LeBron before we can consider him. I'm not sure there is anyone alive who is both stronger and faster than him.

I will say he is our greatest wrestler ever. I am convinced of that now. John Smith was great but come on here. I personally think Cael was better than Smith but the number of titles dont lie Smith is the man for now on paper. I am convinced after watching Gatsalov just dominate 120k and just remember CAel picking him apart but losing on a big move at the end. If only Cael and Gable wrestled more-we will never know. No one with that potential should retire so early. I am including high school and college also with international holding the most weight.

1.Burroughs-he keeps getting better, it is simply amazing. 70-0 in this era of less weights puts him #1 in my mind even if he retired today.

Cael

Gable

Smith

Ueteke

Bruce. I really dont think he belongs here but his numbers dont lie and he has more hardware that any other wrestler.

Cael in no way , no shape, and no form was better than Smith, Smith was a World Champion as a sophomore in college. Come on now. Cael was a great collegiate wrestler, who never lost a match in college. But when he faced guys as good as him he got handled on the international seen. Bottom line is yes, Smith had some anamolous losses but bar none, he is the best wrestler the US has ever produced.

I think Burroughs has the talent to take that claim, and all things being equal if given the same weight he would beat anyone on the list but a few more world titles and he can including creds lay claim to best US wrestler ever, and possible ever in the history of the sport. NO one would argue Cael is remotely close to it. Smith already on that list.

Smith was a junior by the way. On paper yes. On paper Rocky Marciano was the best but lets be real here Ali who lost many times would have killed him. Jordan Burroughs is our best ever wrestler now! Three titles or six titles, I have seen enough. If we had one tourny at all of there primes and at same weight I go with Cael over Smith. Gable is over Smith also and so is Mark Shultz. I know the #of titles keeps making poeple say Smith was the best. I just dont think he was. But if it is all about titles and hardware then why not make Bruce with 5 titles and 8 medals #1. We all know he was not the best that is why. I know alot of people are scratching their heads here but I have seen them all wrestle many times and you know when a guy is an animal like Schultz and Jordan is that animal. Smith was not that animal, just wasn't. On paper though John Smith is the best.

But decathletes, even the best ones, are usually great at nothing. Just very good at a lot of things.

But still, to determine who's a better athlete like Labron James vs. Jordan Burroughs, you might set up an event similar to the decathalon, maybe add some different events like swimming or gymnastics or weight lifting, and see who wins.

My guess is that Labron wins the jumping events and Jordan wins the rest.

Jordan Burroughs is not only the best Athlete but what is amazing is wow he handle getting punched in the face over and over again. He is a class act too. He is the face of wrestling here and in the world. I think most people even overseas would agree. Iran might think Yazdani but even iranians know that Burroughs is King! There is no question now. Even the great John Smith takes a back seat even only after three titles. No one feared Smith but Burroughs is a different story. The guy is a rock star like no one we have "ever" had.

There is some serious undervaluing of John Smith on this thread. Maybe Burroughs is a better wrestler but Cael Sanderson internationally? Come on now.

I agree. I should not have put Cael up against Smith. I just think of what could have been with him. Same senario with Gable.

Smith was a junior by the way. On paper yes. On paper Rocky Marciano was the best but lets be real here Ali who lost many times would have killed him. Jordan Burroughs is our best ever wrestler now! Three titles or six titles, I have seen enough. If we had one tourny at all of there primes and at same weight I go with Cael over Smith. Gable is over Smith also and so is Mark Shultz. I know the #of titles keeps making poeple say Smith was the best. I just dont think he was. But if it is all about titles and hardware then why not make Bruce with 5 titles and 8 medals #1. We all know he was not the best that is why. I know alot of people are scratching their heads here but I have seen them all wrestle many times and you know when a guy is an animal like Schultz and Jordan is that animal. Smith was not that animal, just wasn't. On paper though John Smith is the best.

Are you talking freestyle or folkstyle? John Smith in his prime and freestyle was in the discussion with Beloglasov, Fadzaev, Khardtsev and many others. Cael, on the other hand, was not seen by most as the best wrestler in the World at his weight when he won his only Olympic and World level title. If we make a cutoff after 2 years, John Smith had a better record than Cael (only 1 loss while Cael had 2 to Lee Fullhart alone) which was also 2nd best all time after only 2 years in international wrestling. In freestyle Cael doesn't compare to Smith in any relevant way. In folkstyle, that's another story!

John Smith may not have been a ferocious beast like Schultz (who was?) but he was an animal of a whole different type.

4 World titles and 2 Olympic Golds whole developing a lightning fast style all his own. No one else from the US can come close at this point. Though going undefeated through 2 Worlds and an Olympics is an amazing start.

And I don't think its only about the # of golds, silvers, and bronzes either when comparing wrestlers. Anyone can look at videos of John Smith and know he was the best.