Sign in to follow this  
ScarletKnight

Has anyone here trained in another country?

I think the Russians keep us out, right? I know Dudziak (sp) trained there but he said he did it as a Pole. I thought someone else did too, maybe Hrovat or Cunningham?

What about the other former USSR countries? Not sure how much of their talent is home grown vs. Russian deflects.

Thanks. I don't know if they have youth wrestling that resembles ours in any way. Or if it's just like what we have in Colorado.

I trained a year in Sweden way back in 1980 but recently the Belarussians have allowed our guys to train there at the same time some other nations were present. A Cuban I know says every year they had one big trip overseas to a training camp; the upper weights usually went to Bulgaria or Russia and the lower weights to North Korea. A very good idea.

I trained a year in Sweden way back in 1980 but recently the Belarussians have allowed our guys to train there at the same time some other nations were present. A Cuban I know says every year they had one big trip overseas to a training camp; the upper weights usually went to Bulgaria or Russia and the lower weights to North Korea. A very good idea.

Thanks - yeah, the olympic team went to Belarus during the olympics, right? Is it only high level stuff?

I saw something out of Canada that involved wrestling in Cuba, but not sure of what that is like. Bulgaria would seem like an option, maybe Georgia too (?)

Andy Hrovat trained in Russia for 6 months a couple years ago. Guys train over seas all the time.

I remember reading that. I just thought from the interview with Dudziak that it's not an easy thing to do.

I think I read that Mocco's dad was driving around Russia looking for him to train. Not sure how it went for him though.

How about that place Yarygin Palace? That must be closed to outsiders

Why would the Russians keep us out?

I don't get it, are we not suppose to see how they make their secret sauces?

I know there is a degree of sarcasm here (or entirely sarcasm). This talks about him going to Dagestan but there was an interview years ago where he said he would not have been able to do it if they thought he was american, he had to do it as a Pole (where he was born)

For three months, I lived and trained in Dagestan, the terrorist capital of Russia, without a soul to talk to. My dad did a lot to arrange my tickets and living expenses there before I earned the right to have my training funded.

http://dukewrestlingblog.blogspot.com/2 ... dlfkj.html

I know there is a degree of sarcasm here (or entirely sarcasm). This talks about him going to Dagestan but there was an interview years ago where he said he would not have been able to do it if they thought he was american, he had to do it as a Pole (where he was born)

For three months, I lived and trained in Dagestan, the terrorist capital of Russia, without a soul to talk to. My dad did a lot to arrange my tickets and living expenses there before I earned the right to have my training funded.

Because of ingrained political differences and national competitiveness or is this some policy from the Russian wrestling federation?

This question isn't sarcasm though, i'm actually curious.

Because of ingrained political differences and national competitiveness or is this some policy from the Russian wrestling federation?

This question isn't sarcasm though, i'm actually curious.

I assumed that they wouldn't want to help us, but I don't know that for sure. I know people who have trained in brazil who say that about BJJ. They are able to go and train, but the top people want to keep certain techniques to themselves (so I've been told)

I think the dudziak interview was back on the old site and I couldn't find it searching

can't find the blog anymore but 3 Lehigh wrestlers just trained for a couple weeks in Japan. Posted some interesting stuff, good insight into how they do things there.

if anyone can find it it had some solid write ups and pics but the Lehigh kids.

Japan is a lot different than Dagestan, but i'm sure you could figure out a way to train just about anywhere if you've got the cash to make it happen. even Cuba would probably let you in, it's the US that would try and keep you out.

Athletes in Action(AIA) Wrestling has had 2 young men train and minister in Mongolia the last 2 years. One is a wrestler at the Air Force Academy and the other wrestles for Cal Baptist. Redshirts are now a possibility for missionary service. Their time in Mongolia varied from 6 months to a year. They lived and worked with former NCAA Champion Steve Barrett, who is also AIA Staff. Steve lived in Russia for 16 years, 5 in southern Russia's wrestling hotbed of the Caucaus mountains. Many While there they trained along side the Mongolian wrestlers as well as worked at local schools, orphanages, and prisons. Mongolia recently finished tied for 7th just 2 places behind the US at worlds, and their women team should be top 3. If you are interested in hearing more about this please email me at rob.bronson@athletesinaction.org

Olddirty?

Countries in which I have done training camps in:

USA

CANADA

COLOMBIA

BULGARIA 2X

HUNGARY 5X

SLOVENIA 5X

NORWAY

SWEDEN

SERBIA 5X

CROATIA 2X

FRANCE

I have been to about 37 countries, but some I didnt train in. Feel free to ask about any country. Out of all the wrestlers from the USA, I had a much better ability to befriend foreigners and have them take me in to train and live.

Tried posting this earlier so I apologize if it double posts. The last 2 years Athletes in Action Wrestling(AIA is the sports ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ) has had wrestlers minister and train in Mongolia. One is a wrestler at the Air Force Academy and the other at Cal Baptist. With wrestlers being able to take missionary redshirts now. yhey served from 6 to 12 months, and lived/worked with Stephen Barrett(AIA Wrestling Staff). Stephen was a NCAA Champ at Oklahoma State. Stephen lived in Russia for 16 years, 11 in Moscow and 5 in Russia's hotbed of wrestling the Caucasus mountain regions. While in Mongolia the wrestlers were able to train with Mongolia wrestlers and do ministry with the wrestlers, at schools, orphanages, and prisons. Mongolia recently finished 7th 2 places behind the USA at worlds and their women should be anywhere from 1st to 3rd depending on the final day.

We also take a team(high school, college, and beyond) each summer to compete/train in Mongolia. The last 2 years John Peterson (AIA Wrestling staff and 72'Silver 76'Gold) has coached the team and we have competed in FILA cadet/junior tournament with clubs from China, Mongolia, and Russia followed by a week long training camp with 100 coaches and wrestlers from those teams. We are thinking of possibly sending out 2 teams this year one to Mongolia and one to country to be determined. It is a great way to grow in your faith and your wrestling.

If you would like more information about any of these opportunities please email me at rob.bronson@athletesinaction.org

Not sure I understand why it seems strange to train overseas. Kids do it all the time. Lock Haven's old coach Ken Cox ran a trip to Russia for years. When Roman Ruderman came here in the 90's he brought people back over.

I don't want to imply everyone does it but it's not at all unusual.

I trained in the North Caucasus recently which is responsible for about half the world class wrestlers in the world.

It is hard to visit Russia, you need a visa as an American and it is an extremely tourist unfriendly country.

Their training isn't that different from what I have seen in the US, but I have never been at an OTC or something in the US.

If anyone has specific questions, let me know.

I trained in South Africa for a while. They are not an international wrestling power, but I was impressed by how aggressively they wrestled, with a ton of throws and big points. They were throwing out cautions for stalling like candy, even duing the three period era. Heinrich Barnes, who went to Oregon State to wrestle and then went to the Olympics, is like a God in their wrestling community,