Sign in to follow this  
PRyan2012

Gatsalov vs Taymazov-who wins?

I think Taymazov, especially in his prime, is a much tougher match-up for Gatsalov than Makhov or any of the heavies he rolled through at 2013 Worlds. He has similar athleticism and technique (as opposed to heavies Gatsalov beat) as well as power/strength advantage. Taymazov was a bit inconsistent, crazy to say for a 3x Olympic champ 4x Olympic finalist, but at peak performance I'm confident he'd beat Gatsalov.

Taymazov would own him. Certain light heavies can hang with certain big boys but not most of them. If a guy like Yazdani thought he could win a world title at hwt he would go up. Iranians love the hwt division, the guy who won bronze at 120kg last year was the Iranian flag bearer at the closing ceremonies. Ahead of at least 3 gold medalests in wrestling alone.

I have a feeling that the guys at 96kg have a pretty good idea of how they would fare against the heavies. Do you see Varner beating Dlagnev?

This is not a far fetched question after the way Gatsalov dominated and is 3rd in his own country at 96k. Could Varner beat Tervel? Why not. He shouldn't be able to beat Tervel. But I didn't think Gatsalov would tech the guy that handled Tervel pretty easily either. I think Yazdani or Gatsalov could beat Taymazov. The evidence is pretty overwhelming to me the way Gatsalov who weighed maybe 220 just destroyed everyone.

My gut says Taymazov wins but it would be competitive for sure. Gatsalov was dominant at worlds but he also beat Kurbanov 3-2 and lost to Dlagnev a few weeks ago. He was awesome this tournament but that doesnt mean he is going to tech all heavyweights he wrestles all the time. And that really doenst mean that Jake Varner can be a heavyweight champion because Gatsalov did it. Others have tried and failed (Kuramamogev, Kurtanidze). Anyone know what the history is between Gatsalov and Zazeev, they are both Ossetians I think and I remember hearing they have trained together . Gatsalov certainly seemed to have him figured out.

This is not a far fetched question after the way Gatsalov dominated and is 3rd in his own country at 96k. Could Varner beat Tervel? Why not. He shouldn't be able to beat Tervel. But I didn't think Gatsalov would tech the guy that handled Tervel pretty easily either. I think Yazdani or Gatsalov could beat Taymazov. The evidence is pretty overwhelming to me the way Gatsalov who weighed maybe 220 just destroyed everyone.

The evidence is overwhelming that Gatsalov would defeat the best heavyweight of the last two decades? That's a ridiculous contention. State your opinion please, but do not mistake your argument for fact.

This sort of common opponent stuff is not overwhelming evidence -- Dlagnev destroys Bergman in practice, hardly trained with Varner but likely beat him (or they'd train together more) and he beat Gatsalov in a match. Taymazov, despite losing a match to Dlagnev, is much more of a physical specimen while also having sufficient technical expertise to not be out-maneuvered by Gatsalov. I'm sorry but Taymazov at his peak would dispose of Gatsalov easily, it's not a good matchup at all for the latter.

Gatsalov is past his prime too so what is your point? Taymazov should win being 50lbs heavier but just look at what Gatsalov just did!

Gatsalov had a great tournament but teching someone in the current rules doesn't necessarily imply the same dominance as it did before.

i could believe that if Gatsalov committed to dominating 120 for the next couple years, he could do it, but i could also believe he could still end up losing a fair share of matches and 'merely' be a top tier guy.

he had a great tournament and beat 5 guys solidly. im not so sure that means he would undoubtedly rip through every other heavyweight the same way every time he takes the mat.

but no matter what, he's a legend and i would love to see him take on Taymazov or anyone else for that matter. im hoping he continues his career for as long as he is able to.

Gatsalov is past his prime too so what is your point? Taymazov should win being 50lbs heavier but just look at what Gatsalov just did!

Taymazov won his third Olympics last year without being scored on... or did you already forget about that?

Dude is enormous and technically sound http://ossetians.com/pictures/new/Taymazov%20Artur_12.jpg Not a normal heavyweight like those Gatsalov crushed at 2013 Worlds.

Someone clarify this for me, but Cormier beat Mocco and our other top heavy at the time at the Dave Shultz when Cormier was (or was trying to be) a 211. Odds are, though, that he was weighing 230-40 at the time this happened.

Below is a link of Gatsalov taking it to Mahkov just after he beat Tazymazov in 2010 world finals. Mahkov is just as big as Artur.

First of all, he doesn't "take it to Makhov" in that match. Secondly, as a knowledgeable wrestling fan (which you clearly are), it should be clear that match-ups/styles are critical - especially if we're talking about a 96kg wrestler bumping up to wrestle heavyweights. Makhov beat Taymazov in a head to head, that's not news for any of us. However, the reasons we have continued to mention that Taymazov is a bad match-up for a smaller (albeit insanely skilled) wrestler like Gatsalov hardly have any relation to this Makhov match. They're both big applies to just about every heavyweight not coming up from 96kg, a meaningless argument.

There is not a more qualified guy to compare to to make my argument. Mahkov cuts to make 265 like Taymazov does and has split with him and is also a three time world and Olympic champion and Gatsalov wins 1-0 , 3-2 in a match even the russian politician in this video thought Gatsalov was great but Mahkov would just be too much and he was wrong also. It was a battle but I would go with Gatsalov if they went again.