Sign in to follow this  
malibu11

Should Dake consider Greco?

If Dake is not closing the gap on Burroughs over the next 2 years, should he consider switching to Greco? If I recall he has an excellent Greco pedigree. He certainly has a toolset that I think translates well to Greco. He has amazing hips and balance and has shown ability to throw. If he is able to solidify a couple of solid turns from the top, he could be tough to beat. I am not saying he should give up on his freestyle dream as I think he is closer to Burroughs than most anyone in the world, but this could be an opportunity for 2 of our best to be showcased internationally.

Huge mistake by russia. Sajidov is the new head coach right? That would have been like if Fullhart would have somehow beat Sanderson and went instead of him. If he won we would have sent him which would have been a huge mistake. Fullhart wrestled Romero and Sajidiv and got crushed in 04. Tsurgush is the only one out there with a chance agaisnt JB. Wish A Satiev could have won that finals match with Tsurgush in 2012 but he is way to old at 35 to have a chance either.

If I were Dake Ide probably go up or down a Wt. Gavin is weak IMO, and Dake is still young enough to fill the weight out. If JB ever had to sit out Dake could go back down anyway. Once a guy switches over to Greco at that level, its extremely tough to transition back and be competitive nationally. No offense to Dake and anything is possible, but he has about as good of shot as beating Burroughs as Dake does getting a job at Penn State LOL!

he went from getting teched in the first match to sending the second match at the trials into overtime with about an hour to make adjustments... not too shabby.

No need to worry about moving until he cuts his teeth internationally and see where he stacks up against some of these intl 74kg guys. Plus, who knows where the weight classes will be the next time around.

Rameses

Let's first see if Dake can close the gap. We've seen two matches, one a tech under the current scoring system and one a much closer match. Personally I think Dake would beat Burroughs in folkstyle and greco, but so far no one has beaten Burroughs in freestyle and that's what matters.

Once a guy switches over to Greco at that level, its extremely tough to transition back and be competitive nationally.
Once a guy switches over to Greco at that level, its extremely tough to transition back and be competitive nationally. LOL!

WOW how soon we forget..... Sam Hazewinkel, Teyon Ware, JD Bergman all started out FS got their A$$es kicked werent even top 5 then did Greco for 2 years came back to FS and made US national FS teams, World or Olympic teams for the US. Mind you except for Sammy none of them would have likely ever made a Greco team...

The Problem:

If guys are NOT ready to commit "2" Olympics cycles to winning a Olympic Gold then they shouldn't even bother. Guys come out of of college with a set expiration date of the next Olympics not respecting the journey.

I've said Dake is a Greco guy from day the first time I saw him wrestle last year..

This years 74 Greco is one of the toughest brackets in history with its own "burroughs" in Russias Vlasoev. Dake should wrestle Greco if that's where his talents lie (and he is a great thrower)+ but it won't make it easier to win a title.

This years 74 Greco is one of the toughest brackets in history with its own "burroughs" in Russias Vlasoev. Dake should wrestle Greco if that's where his talents lie (and he is a great thrower)+ but it won't make it easier to win a title.

Let's not put the carriage in front of the horse here.. lol "IF" he made a team in FS it is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to medal in FS then Greco... International wrestling in Greco is a beast unlike in FS where only about 5-6 countries really matter..

In my professional opinion Dake is Greco wrestler "pretending" to be a FS... lol

Dake has had 1 international match, where he beat the Iranian (old rules). He got teched by JB, and then wrestled Burroughs to a closer match than anybody in the world has. Technically speaking, Dake would have won the match on criteria if we did not use overtime at the trials (just so you know, I prefer overtime).

was the Iranian Dake beat this years silver medallist?:

No, Dake wrestled a different Iranian. I forget his name. (And no, it wasn't Goudarzi either.)

Great match by Dake even though both periods went to the clinch (old rules).

In the first clinch, Dake defended it flawlessly. In the second clinch Dake lifted the Iranian into the air and tossed and turned him to win it.

That was Team USA' s only win vs Iran at GC Station in NYC.

As far as Greco for Dake, if he wants to, great. I think he'll win there too.

Dake ... wrestled Burroughs to a closer match than anybody in the world has. Technically speaking, Dake would have won the match on criteria if we did not use overtime at the trials (just so you know, I prefer overtime).

If I remember the match correctly, it went about like this:

1) Burroughs got in deep on a shot and pushed Dake out. (1-0).

2) Dake countered a Burroughs shot at the edge of the mat, and threw Burroughs for three. That was the same position Burroughs was in against Tajikistan this week, only Burroughs was ready for it and countered for 2. Still, Dake surprised Burroughs and got the three. (1-3).

3) Burroughs took Dake down and turned Dake. (4-3).

4) After Burroughs turned Dake, Dake created a scramble situation and pushed Burroughs out for 1. (4-4).

5) Dake stayed really low, Burroughs took a shot, and Dake countered him for the takedown. (4-6).

6) Burroughs chills for a bit, then took Dake down with a clean shot. (6-6).

7) Then they go into OT. Burroughs takes Dake down 8 seconds into OT. (8-6).

Now all this happened after Burroughs teched Dake with three straight takedowns and a turn. I think in that match Dake actually attempted a takedown, something he didn't do in the second match. That suggests his "adjustment" was accommodating Burroughs's neutral superiority, and wrestling defensively and looking for counters.

If you're counting, in two matches, Burroughs had 6 takedowns to Dake's 1. And Dake's came off a counter. Further, in the second match, if the criteria would have had Burroughs losing as time ran out, he probably would have made sure he got that last takedown before time expired rather than seconds in OT.

I think Dake is capable of keeping a match close with Burroughs if he wrestles defensively, but he's definitely not the second best 163 pounder in the world. That title easily goes to Tsargush, with Goudarzi being third. Dake is an NCAA legend, but the NCAA tournament pales in comparison to worlds.

Sajidov is not the head coach.

Geduev should have been the rep. at Worlds.

Sajidov coaches the Dagestanis. I don't know who the Russian national team coach is now. Maybe someone else does.

What was the story with Geduev? I thought Khubezhty won Russian Nationals. They almost always go with the winner of that tournament.

I don't know about greco but Dake would be better served finding a weight away from Burroughs.

Burroughs is going to be a tough nut to crack for anybody. He has skills to win a slow pace, a fast pace, in par terre, push outs, counter defense, redirects, counter offense. Dake has an unorthodox style with funk and balance mixed with positioning. He may steal a win but doesn't have the offense (yet) nor the par terre skills (yet) to give Burroughs a tactical match he couldn't find a way to pull it out (yet).

Burroughs won this world title on tactics and technique. He beat people on heart, tactics, and technique. That is John Smith type stuff there. Somebody who can win a world title without his best stuff, and have to come up with a plan/style to do so on short notice is remarkable.