Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Burroughs update - 9/19/13

A year or two ago, Burroughs toyed with the idea of trying MMA after the 2016 Olympics.

Then he took a step back and said he wasn't so sure about either MMA or the idea of wrestling until 2016. As far as wrestling went, he said he would wrestle as long as he felt motivated to wrestle, and as long as he enjoyed it. As far as MMA went, he said he liked watching it, but doubted it was for him.

Now, there's more news. In a recent article, I read the following: "'I’ve kind of erased the MMA thoughts,' Burroughs told The Associated Press. 'Reaching the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo is a realistic goal. I still have a lot of wrestling left in me.'"

Here's the article: http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/18/jordan-burroughs-wins-wrestling-world-championship/

Let's talk about this.

MMA is not for everyone. I love watching MMA and I do some submission grappling, but I dont particularly want to punch other people in the face, or recieve a concussion myself. Burroughs might be the same way. His super positive and upbeat personality is definitely not the stereotypical MMA one, and Burroughs is a guy who doesnt need to do MMA to get fame and money. Then again 2020, or even 2016 is a long way off so who knows what will happen..

MMA is not for everyone. I love watching MMA and I do some submission grappling, but I dont particularly want to punch other people in the face, or recieve a concussion myself. Burroughs might be the same way. His super positive and upbeat personality is definitely not the stereotypical MMA one, and Burroughs is a guy who doesnt need to do MMA to get fame and money. Then again 2020, or even 2016 is a long way off so who knows what will happen..

Yeah I was the same way... I tried training at an MMA gym during college and liked the BJJ/grappling but not the getting punched or kicked thing.

Though I do think MMA is a LOT safer than Boxing.

I was in the same boat. Very competitive in submissions, and was constantly being asked why I didn't fight in MMA. I have no desire to get kicked in the face, but thanks anyway.

OD, based on what? I have trained with a ton of former D1 guys who were intense in training for submissions, but didn't get into striking much (if at all). You're probably right, but most wrestlers walk away when their college careers are over.

Most elite wrestlers aren't scared to get punched, nor are they ethically opposed to punching an opponent who is trying to punch them

No, they aren't afraid. And they take plenty of "inadvertent" face/head blows in wrestling. But that doesn't mean they all would/should chose to participate in a sport that essentially require it as a way of winning a contest. Many choose to begin applying their college degrees. Developing a career has a higher likelyhood to pay off better for most. (And their brains are at less risk of trauma)

The news about JB's future intentions is great.