Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Best All-Time Formula (College & International)

Ben Peterson, 15 points....2 NCAA titles, One World bronze, One Oly Gold and one Oly Silver.

John Peterson, 14 points....One Oly Gold, One Oly silver, One World Silver and One World Bronze.

I got 26.5 for Dave Schultz.

20 for Kenny Monday.

Andrew Metzger got 14.5.

Larry Kristoff earned 16.

Can you get me the breakdown for Monday, Metzger & Kristoff?

To those that are saying there is too much emphasis on college results, keep in mind this is a compilation of two different styles. Also, many of the guys on this list are still getting the majority of their points from international achievements already. I think it's deceiving when you just look at the point scale and you need to keep in mind college is only 4 years while international results can be for many more. That being said, I agree with the people who said World Silver should be higher, so I am adjusting that to 4 while the Bronze will remain at 3.

As far as adding US Opens or World Teams, I would agree that achievment is on par if not greater then an NCAA championship but that brings in a lot more results and I started this because I was bored while having morning coffee, not as a weekend project ;)

John Smith should get an automatic vault to number one because he won every World/Olympic tournament that he entered. Bruce B. was great but HW's usually have longer longevity in general because their style is completely different than all the other weights, requiring strength above speed, and strength is the last thing to go in an athlete.

Oh, and Mcllravy gets an extra half point for his mullet ;)

I don't have a formula for this, but in my subjective opinion, the best three American wrestlers are:

* Lee Kemp

* John Smith

* Jordan Burroughs

All three of them won world titles in the same calendar year they were in college. Smith even won a world title before his senior year.

Kemp has three NCAA titles and Smith and Burroughs have two apiece.

Smith has six world titles, while Kemp and Burroughs have three each. Kemp also has a world bronze, and missed the 1980 Olympics due to the boycott. He was heavily favored to win the gold in those Games.

I'd put Smith at the top, and at this point its too tough to decide whether Kemp or Burroughs is second best.

You can check em all out here and here:

http://www.foeldeak.com/wrestlingdataba ... anguage=en

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/brackets.htm

Everything you need to make your formula dreams come true!

Ben Peterson, 15 points....2 NCAA titles, One World bronze, One Oly Gold and one Oly Silver.

John Peterson, 14 points....One Oly Gold, One Oly silver, One World Silver and One World Bronze.

I got 26.5 for Dave Schultz.

20 for Kenny Monday.

Andrew Metzger got 14.5.

Larry Kristoff earned 16.

Can you get me the breakdown for Monday, Metzger & Kristoff?

To those that are saying there is too much emphasis on college results, keep in mind this is a compilation of two different styles. Also, many of the guys on this list are still getting the majority of their points from international achievements already. I think it's deceiving when you just look at the point scale and you need to keep in mind college is only 4 years while international results can be for many more. That being said, I agree with the people who said World Silver should be higher, so I am adjusting that to 4 while the Bronze will remain at 3.

As far as adding US Opens or World Teams, I would agree that achievment is on par if not greater then an NCAA championship but that brings in a lot more results and I started this because I was bored while having morning coffee, not as a weekend project ;)

Is it just me or should being a World Team Member count the same as being a NCAA Champ? I love the idea but think the formula needs tweaked a little. About the older guys and the Tblisi tournament, it's really not fair to the younger guys because the tournament doesn't exist anymore, I don't believe. I guess you could put the Yarygin in it's place but I don't like the idea.

The other argument is the highest level one reached when they competed as opposed to longevity which is obviously impossible to judge statistically but some are clearly above others. This has to be John Smith for me as he was simply awesome from every position, it helps that he won 6 straight World/Olympic titles.

Chris's Campbell 2 NCAA, 1 NCAA finalist, gold, silver, bronze = 17

Don Pritzlaff 2 NCAA, bronze, 2 AA = 8

Ed Banach 3 NCAA, 1 NCAA finalist, Gold = 12

Lou Banach 2 NCAA, gold = 9

Did Lou Banach AA in non-champ years?

Royce Alger 2 NCAA, gold=9

Yes, Sweet Lou got a 3rd the year Doctor Death upset him in the semis.

Chris's Campbell 2 NCAA, 1 NCAA finalist, gold, silver, bronze = 17

Don Pritzlaff 2 NCAA, bronze, 2 AA = 8

Ed Banach 3 NCAA, 1 NCAA finalist, Gold = 12

Lou Banach 2 NCAA, gold = 9

Did Lou Banach AA in non-champ years?

Royce Alger 2 NCAA, gold=9

I was curious what we could come up with for best of all-time from around the world. Karelin and Saitiev is a good start and names everyone knows but I was more curious about some of the old Soviet Union wrestlers from the 'golden days' to put everything into a historical context (Here is looking at you all the old timers out there).

Sergei Beloglazov, Arsen Fadzaev, Levan Tediashvili, Wilfred Dietrich (German), M Khardartsev, are a few guys who earned a lot of points towards the formula.

I've got 36 points for Wilfred Dietrich, and he won the big prizes just twice!

53 points for Sergei Beloglazov.

Arsen Fadzaev 56 points.

Tedi had 42 points.

Khardartsev...57 points

I may have missed some minor points here or there- like 2nd for Euro Championship should be 1 point, and a placing should be 1/2........I scored 2 for European Championship as I would have for NCAA,,,, but no one is scoring US National Freestyle or Grecos...but the rest of the world doesn't have folkstyle.

I'm trying to update this some more. Can anyone confirm Uetake; here's what I got:

3x NCAA Champ, 2x Olympic Gold (Japan)

Did he wrestle in worlds in-between Olympics; seems odd he would not of medaled considering how he did in the Olympics but I can't find anything.

Also, thinking about giving more points for an Olympic Gold over World Gold since the Olympics tend to have the most depth. Just not sure how much more yet.