Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Top 10 P4P

To me, the top 3 as far as college goes, is clearly this order:

1. Ruth

2. Stieber

3. Taylor

I don't think you can put Taylor over Stieber, and I think Ruth is the best guy in the country as far as Folkstyle goes. I've never felt like he's been seriously threatened in two years.

I would finish the list thusly:

4. Howe

5. St. John

6. Maple

7. Nelson

8. Perry

9. Delgado

10. Ramos

I saw a similar thread in the high school forum, and figured why not start one for college as well. Not knowing how guys have improved in the off season yet, I am just taking a stab at this list ATM.

1. Ed Ruth - 184

2. David Taylor - 165

3. Logan Steiber - 141?

4. Andrew Howe (could have a case to be higher on this list) - 174?

5. Kendrick Maple - 149

6. Jesse Delgado - 125

7. Tony Ramos - 133

8. Derek St. John - 157

9. Alex Dieringer - 157

10. Tony Nelson - HWT

Feel free to comment or add your own list.

Top 5 are pretty solid.

Dieringer at 9 is egregious if you are looking at his body of work. Other than that pretty good job. I'd put Ramos ahead of Delgado.

Nelson could go higher, by a bit and I'd have Perry on there.

DT/Stieber is a really tough call, cases can be made for both I suppose.

It's obvious who the top four guys are, but there's no good way to rank between them. And the rest of the top-ten is far from clear, either. No matter how you rank them, there's always an argument for a different order. I suppose that's the whole point of rankings -- getting people to talk.

So in that spirit, here is my attempt to rank the top ten.

1- Ruth (3-1-1)

2- Steiber (1-1 - Junior World silver)

3- Taylor (2-1-2 - Hodge - World Univ. bronze)

4- Howe (2-1-3 - Junior World bronze)

5- St. John (4-2-1)

6- Dieringer (3 - Junior World silver)

7- Perry (DNP-3-1)

8- Maple (DNP-4-1)

9- Delgado (7-1)

10- Nelson (7-1-1)

HM- Megaludis (2-2)

HM- Ramos (DNP-3-2)

Nelson's skill set wouldn't place him top 6 at 157. If we're really talking pound for pound, he isn't on the list. Sorry. If we're talking resume, he's top 5.

You should know what he runs the Mile in and the fact that he can dunk a B-ball, he may be the most underrated wrestler on this board. Ask Z and Telford to list two that would not go under him when they had the choice. Hwt is different and if you don't know that maybe you have not followed wrestling long enough........

Nelson's skill set wouldn't place him top 6 at 157. If we're really talking pound for pound, he isn't on the list. Sorry. If we're talking resume, he's top 5.

You should know what he runs the Mile in and the fact that he can dunk a B-ball, he may be the most underrated wrestler on this board. Ask Z and Telford to list two that would not go under him when they had the choice. Hwt is different and if you don't know that maybe you have not followed wrestling long enough........

Nelson sounds like a great athlete - too bad he doesn't use it to do much when he's wrestling - at least from neutral. I've watched heavies for 40 years - Heavyweight is different than the others - and not as good. 98% of best athletes in this size category do not wrestle. I do not believe that is the case in any other weight class, and what we're left with as fans is clearly an inferior product compared to the other weight classes. There have been very few heavies whose athleticism and skill set on the mat would put them top 10 p4p - Neal and McCoy come to mind. Its my opinion, but judging from how the entire arena empties after 197 at NCAA event I attend, I get the sense heavy is viewed as more then just "different".

Nelson sounds like a great athlete - too bad he doesn't use it to do much when he's wrestling - at least from neutral. I've watched heavies for 40 years - Heavyweight is different than the others - and not as good. 98% of best athletes in this size category do not wrestle. I do not believe that is the case in any other weight class, and what we're left with as fans is clearly an inferior product compared to the other weight classes. There have been very few heavies whose athleticism and skill set on the mat would put them top 10 p4p - Neal and McCoy come to mind. Its my opinion, but judging from how the entire arena empties after 197 at NCAA event I attend, I get the sense heavy is viewed as more then just "different".

Angle, Lesnar?

Angle, Lesnar?

Jim Nance was the fastest heavyweight I ever saw. He had a heck of a duck under as I recall.

He was PA's first HWT champ (2x - they didn't have a HWT when he was a Sophomore).

He was also a 2x NCAA champ.

He was that rare heavyweight who moved like a lightweight.

He was also MVP in the AFL, is in the NE Patriot's Hall of Fame, and holds the Patriot's career record for touchdowns.

I think Dieringer will surprise some this season, especially after winning a world medal this past summer (which factored into my decision in including him on the list).

I'll throw a couple more names into the HM category: Perry (as mentioned by several already), Megaludis and Graff (may be better than Ramos, minus the gas tank)

No Stieber's matches his true freshman year don't count towards his record. That year counts as a red shirt. Otherwise, if he finished out his 5 years, he would have 5 years of varsity record counting. Also Taylor and Ruth both redshirted anyway.

This is incorrect. The wins and losses count on his record. The bouts were not in open competition - he wrestled attached in all 8 bouts.

Buckeye Duals:

10-Nov 2010: Steiber TF Zanetta (Pitt), 18-3

10-Nov 2010: Steiber TF Nagel (Neb), 18-0

Cliff Keen Invitational:

04-Dec 2010: Steiber DEC Iwamura (Cal St Bak), 2-1

04-Dec 2010: Steiber MAJ Arliss (Illinois), 9-0

04-Dec 2010: Steiber DEC Bonano (Hofstra), 9-5

05-Dec 2010: Patterson (Okla) DEC Steiber, 2-1

05-Dec 2010: Lara (Ore St) DEC Steiber, 5-0

05-Dec 2010: Perrelli (Cornell) DEC Steiber, 9-8

Here's my post previously made on the subject in another thread:

Steiber's first freshman season counts on his official career record (65-5). See his profile on the OSU site. He was attached in all of the matches - duals and Cliff Keen Invitational.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports ... 53012.html

Same was the case for Jordan Burroughs... his 128-20 career record includes the 3-2 OT loss he took against Steve Brown of Central Michigan (when he tore his PCL & LCL), that resulted in his taking a medical RS.