Sign in to follow this  
gmdband

Anyone have a video of Larry Owings vs Darrell Keller

Have you contacted the host school? They MIGHT have film/video in either their library's archives (try "archives" or "special collections") or contact the wrestling office, if the host still has wrestling.

Also, try the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater.

All are longshots but worth a shot.

Mark

Anyone have a video of the NCAA championship match between Larry Owings and Darrell Keller? I think it was around 1972 or 1973. I have always wanted to see that match since I was a kid.

Because of the PNW flavor .... At our summer wrestling camp (Tall Timber) up in the Cascade Mountains, we were fed the epic matches over and over and over during Breakfast, lunch and dinner !!! Owings vs Gable, Owings vs. Milkovich, and Owings vs Keller ..... And many others. (To Brown was another) We dissected them move by move by move. This was over the summers of '70 through '74.

There has to be footage of those somewhere. I'm just not sure where. Our Camp was sponsored by Central Washington University which was a NAIA school in Eastern Washington. Coach Beardsley was the Head Coach of this small college that actually was a powerhouse in the NAIA classification.

The Kellers, Gomez, Fujita, Randle, Arneson, those guys were my first OSU teams to watch live. Breece, and Callard from OU...ahhhh those were good days indeed. I'd love to see it too.

Mark, I wrestled at OSU the year before your brother came there. I'm pretty excited to see the movie. I was at the Great Plains when your brother dominated the defending OW from the NCAA's...in his bracket. I was not significant in that bracket. My team mates Steve Barrett and Paul Martin, and Jimmy Jackson, were doing a little better than I was.

I'm sure you've heard it a million times, but let me be 1,000,001 in saying, even just to us fans, he was truly special. Once when your brother won Vegas, it was my team that he was butt sliding down the escalator at the convention center with, just before the finals. They couldn't believe it. A true American hero in my book.

If you can't get enough Gable-Owings, may I suggest this article (tho I'm biased)...

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/6839

For us older guys ... This was such an epic match, and it influenced so many of us. And on a sad note ... The UW had a great bunch of guys, and a program that was getting better and better every year .... Till it got axed.

Here's a link to a bunch of clips from the 1971 NCAA finals. I'm not sure if the Owings/Keller match is here in its entirety, but you can check out portions of the match. Unfortunately, they're not labeled by name and all clips are mixed together.

http://www.t3licensing.com/license/sear ... er=v1:ncaa wrestling 1971,f750,f750,f110,f110,f9333,f9334

Here's a link to a bunch of clips from the 1971 NCAA finals. I'm not sure if the Owings/Keller match is here in its entirety, but you can check out portions of the match. Unfortunately, they're not labeled by name and all clips are mixed together.

http://www.t3licensing.com/license/sear ... er=v1:ncaa wrestling 1971,f750,f750,f110,f110,f9333,f9334

The clips ending with the number 055 and 057 are Owings and Keller :O)

Thanks a lot for the video! I have always wanted to see that match. Owings did some rather strange and risky moves in the course of that match which obviously did not help him. He was a great wrestler but was always sort of a big-move risk taker from what I remember. Exciting to watch though.

When this photo was taken, Gable was up 10-9 (factoring in riding time) late in the third period. However, Owings is in the process of taking Gable down to his back, resulting in a 4-point move. Gable immediately escaped, but was unable to take Larry down to send the match into overtime. Final score: 13-11, Owings.

306ef417-ddfc-41ca-9079-6fcebfa5099a_zps95f7b610.jpg

On 9/30/2013 at 10:02 AM, BadgerMon said:

STILL waiting for Gable to post the Churella/DeAnna Big Ten final....... :?:

I actually goaded Mark Churella into finally getting his super8 match transferred to video years ago.....It's in my office library .....I"m going to have to hunt it down, and watch it again...many say it was one of the greatest college matches of all time......I can add 4 or 5 to that list as can many of the posters on here.  Fadz

On 9/24/2013 at 10:05 PM, gmdband said:

Anyone have a video of the NCAA championship match between Larry Owings and Darrell Keller? I think it was around 1972 or 1973. I have always wanted to see that match since I was a kid.

No video but saw an etching of it in a cave in the Glass Mountains (western Oklahoma) didn't have a cell phone so no photo either, sorry.  ;)

On 1/17/2020 at 11:00 AM, ionel said:

No video but saw an etching of it in a cave in the Glass Mountains (western Oklahoma) didn't have a cell phone so no photo either, sorry.  ;)

Apparently the match went 16-14 OT....I've heard nothing but greatness about it.

On 9/28/2013 at 9:16 AM, ideamark said:

If you can't get enough Gable-Owings, may I suggest this article (tho I'm biased)...

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/6839

Good article.

"This time, alone in the wrestling office, Gable watched grimly, pulling up a chair to just a couple feet of the screen. He saw himself score the first points of the match with a takedown. "Should have pinned him right there. But he was double-jointed in the shoulders or something. Always got away.""

owings double jointed