Sign in to follow this  
DF

Mr. Burroughs should retire now, here's why...

He's perfect. Untarnished. Won a world championship, and then backed it up with an olympic gold and then another world championship. He's proven he's the real deal and 100% legit, not like some wrestlers who win once and then bail so they never have to defend (read: prove) their medal was legit.

If Mr. Burroughs retires now he will forever be a legend. Nobody can say anything negative about his career because he's undefeated and backed it up x2. Any furthers golds at the worlds/olympics won't really serve to strengthen his legendary status (law of diminishing returns), but will instead expose him to the possibility of losing and thus relinquishing his perfect status. Then people who are waiting for him to lose will forever hold that loss against him to argue why he's not the best wrestler. They are waiting for that ammo to use against him, but as of now they have nothing.

He's perfect. Untarnished. Won a world championship, and then backed it up with an olympic gold and then another world championship. He's proven he's the real deal and 100% legit, not like some wrestlers who win once and then bail so they never have to defend (read: prove) their medal was legit.

If Mr. Burroughs retires now he will forever be a legend. Nobody can say anything negative about his career because he's undefeated and backed it up x2. Any furthers golds at the worlds/olympics won't really serve to strengthen his legendary status (law of diminishing returns), but will instead expose him to the possibility of losing and thus relinquishing his perfect status. Then people who are waiting for him to lose will forever hold that loss against him to argue why he's not the best wrestler. They are waiting for that ammo to use against him, but as of now they have nothing.

good point. nothing says undisputed G.O.A.T. more than retiring early.

He is the best ever. Sorry John Smith guys but Burroughs is the best period. Smith had like 5 losses his first 3 years kinda like Sanderson but Smith did win always when it counted. My opinion is he is our greatest freestyler ever. What he has done weighs more to me than having 3 more titles with 10 loses.

Frankly, that's Cael-like thinking (go out on top). And while I am a Cael and PSU fan, it's not the kind of thinking that others should emulate.

I hate to say but GAble and Sanderson made the right choice and not try to be 7 time champs but if Sanderson wrestles until 2012 and Gable until 1980 then both I think ar 5-7 time champs with a couple silver or bronzes in there. But they had the opportunity of a life time because they were the greatest in college. Burroughs and Smith were not that guy-they need to separate themselves at the international level to get rich in wrestling. Burroughs now I think can get that Cael type job.

He is the best ever. Sorry John Smith guys but Burroughs is the best period. Smith had like 5 losses his first 3 years kinda like Sanderson but Smith did win always when it counted. My opinion is he is our greatest freestyler ever. What he has done weighs more to me than having 3 more titles with 10 loses.

John Smith had 2 losses in his first 3 World championship years. Where are you gettting 5? Smith definitely had less losses than Sanderson. This is the second time you have made strange comparisons between Smith and Sanderson.

The Miami Dolphins should have folded the franchise after the 1972 Super Bowl.

Disappointments ever since (no one really remembers them beating the Washington Generals like Minnesota Vikings the following season).

The Miami Dolphins should have folded the franchise after the 1972 Super Bowl.

Disappointments ever since (no one really remembers them beating the Washington Generals like Minnesota Vikings the following season).

Funny I thought they did fold the franchise after 1972.

Let's put it this way for you naysayers: If Mr. Karelin had retired before the 2000 olympics he would have been perfect. But he lost his last ever match and thus relinquished that perfection by doing so. Same thing applies here but in less of a time frame.

OP, Part of the reason the most successful are that way is because they want to see how good they can get, and how far they can go. Such a comment completely misses the point on what drives those that achieve at the highest levels. Besides, Burroughs and his current run of Championships and wins is the best thing going to help spread awareness and the popularity if the sport. Discussing his hanging it up is foolish.

I hate to say but GAble and Sanderson made the right choice and not try to be 7 time champs but if Sanderson wrestles until 2012 and Gable until 1980 then both I think ar 5-7 time champs with a couple silver or bronzes in there.

I disagree. Gable got beat in 1976 by a 19-year-old Lee Kemp. He wasn't inactive, then, either. He was working out with his guys at ISU and then Iowa. Sure Kemp won his first world title in 1978 at the next weight class up, but that loss says a lot. It leads me to believe Gable would likely not have beaten four-time world champ Pinigin, who was in Gable's weight class. Pinigin's run began in 1975. So I don't think Gable would have won a world title after 1974. Gable only had one undefeated year in international wrestling, in 1972, and it was impressive even though he didn't face any returning world champs or medalists. I don't think you can say he would have won 5-7 world titles based on that year. Barring injury, I could see him having won two more world titles to bring his total to four. But again, nothing is guaranteed in wrestling, so we don't know what would have happened.

Sanderson was fortunate to not have faced Sajidov at the 2004 Olympics. Sajidov was the pound-for-pound best wrestler in the world for a year or two in the 00s. Sanderson lost to him several times and never beat him. Sanderson also had multiple losses to Romero, and lost to Tokaev and Gatsalov. He even had problems in the US with losses to Fullhart. Of course, Sanderson was definitely one of the best at 84kg when he competed, but he was never the clear-cut top guy at the weight. His post-college freestyle record was 55-9 with no undefeated years. There's no reason to think he would have won 5-7 world titles based on his freestyle record. I imagine he would have had a career along the lines of Dave Schultz had he continued competing. (That said, Sanderson is the folkstyle GOAT.)

Didn't Gable pound Pinegan in a dual meet as one of his last official matches? Honestly, comparing Burroughs to other greats is difficult right now; he doesn't have the titles to be one of the best ever yet but at the same time, how do you do better than zero losses? As Burroughs wrestles for a few more years, and presumably takes some losses at some point, it will be easier to compare him to the all time greats. Of course if he wins a bunch more world titles and never loses, he will be an easy call for best wrestler of all time.

Didn't Gable pound Pinegan in a dual meet as one of his last official matches?

Gable beat Pinigin when Pinigin was 19 or 20, and when Pinigin was still a couple years from making the Soviet team. I think it's safe to say Pinigin improved by the time he became a world champ.