Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

If no retirements, best 2013 team members?

Please help me add to this... If we had no early retirements and out athletes had continued training like Burroughs is, who would have been on our 2013 world freestyle team? How would they have done?

55 - Cejudo

60 - ?

66 - ? (would Oliver had done better than Metcalf?)

74 - Burroughs

84 - Cael

96 - Varner

HWT - Dlagnev (or could we pull a Russia here and have someone bump up a weight?)

Please help me add to this... If we had no early retirements and out athletes had continued training like Burroughs is, who would have been on our 2013 world freestyle team? How would they have done?

55 - Cejudo

60 - ?

74 - Burroughs

84 - Cael

96 - Varner

HWT - Dlagnev (or could we pull a Russia here and have someone bump up a weight?)

I'd take Russell at 66

Well, I don't think Cejudo is ever coming back. So that leaves Blanc, Escobedo, and maybe Hazewinkle. And if Blanc is still having issues, I think our best bet internationally is going to Escobedo.

At 60Kg I am thinking Kennedy, but we'll see what happens. Humpreys has two world teams under his belt and has won a couple of matches both times but I don't know if he can string enough wins together to medal. Also Scott is off with his injury, and I am not sure what his status is, also let's face it 2012 was an amazing year for him, however, I really didn't see that same thing in 2013, so I am unsure if he has another amazing year in him.

At 66kg, Jordan Oliver looked good when I saw him in L.A. against the Russian who was a Bronze medalist in the past World's. But Oliver, Metcalf as well as Russell should all be battling for the title. And honestly I don't know who is the best. If I were Zeke I would have all three of these guys competing head to head overseas as much as possible. Maybe at some point one can emerge as a legit medal contender. (Metcalf might already be that but sure has had bad luck in the world's so far). But there is also Logan Stieber out there so who knows.

7Kg Well Burroughs. He is busy trying to be the greatest of all time.

84 Kg probably Foster, maybe Reader maybe Perry, or Keddy. I would do the same thing with them as I would do with the 66 Kg guys. If Howe or Taylor could bulk up maybe they could also be a factor.

At 96 well calling Jake Varner where are you. But I think he's done. He has two medals so he is probably like time to move on. Bergman I just don't see him having the mentality to be the guy that can hoist the trophy over his head. Maybe someone like Snyder can be the guy.

At Hwt. Dlagnev is the guy and I don't see anybody pushing him off the top spot.

Logan Stieber has lost to both Humphrey and Kennedy in the last year yet his international resume is probably the most impressive. He won a tourney in Poland, took 2nd at Jr Worlds to a future Olympic Gold Medalist and has beaten Opan Sat. I think that Zeke and company would love to see what he could do on the world stage but he has to earn it. As a Buckeye fan, I'm glad he's so dedicated to his team. But objectively he's already done amazing things collegiately and would probably be better off training full time in freestyle.

Cael is past the point of early retirement and is now just plain old retirement age. Put Herbert in at 84.

Scott is doing really well at 60, but had some bad luck this year.

Metcalf is the guy at 66. Was bill Zadick our last medalist here?

I think Blanc is our guy at 55, but as a fan I wish Cejudo had stuck around until 2016

Cael is past the point of early retirement and is now just plain old retirement age. Put Herbert in at 84.

Scott is doing really well at 60, but had some bad luck this year.

Metcalf is the guy at 66. Was bill Zadick our last medalist here?

I think Blanc is our guy at 55, but as a fan I wish Cejudo had stuck around until 2016

Cael could have won 185 this year even well past his prime. And could still easily make the team according to Herbert.

I think Steiber is our guy in the very near future. Possibly by the next Olympics, if he can maintain the lower weight.

Oliver I also think will take the reigns over Metcalf. If not next year, within the next two. I Like Metcalf and think he is a great competitor. While he keeps inching closer and closer it is probably going to take just the right circumstances for him to grab a medal. I hope that he does, but I don't think there are a lot of chances left.

Wright I believe is our best shot leading up to the Olympics. Him or Ruth. Ruth has the Jordan like athleticism, while Wright has the freestyle skills and pedigree. One of them two I would like to see in there.

I know Dlagnev is right there and a favorite of many, but I really believe that Dom Bradley will take this spot by the next Olympic cycle. I actually think he could take it as soon as the next worlds.

JMO

I think Steiber is our guy in the very near future. Possibly by the next Olympics, if he can maintain the lower weight.

by lower weight do you mean 55kgs? cause unfortunately if nothing changes from the proposed weights then its either 55 or 65 for steiber. or 75, but that spot looks firmly occupied at the moment.

Could Cael even make the weight? Looking at him, I'd say he does 210-220. Plus, he has suggested that making 185 would be very hard. He also said he would consider 211, but not if Varner, his protege, still wanted the spot.

Logan Stieber has lost to both Humphrey and Kennedy in the last year yet his international resume is probably the most impressive. He won a tourney in Poland, took 2nd at Jr Worlds to a future Olympic Gold Medalist and has beaten Opan Sat. I think that Zeke and company would love to see what he could do on the world stage but he has to earn it. As a Buckeye fan, I'm glad he's so dedicated to his team. But objectively he's already done amazing things collegiately and would probably be better off training full time in freestyle.

Some of you guys have such selective memories. Stieber also lost to Graff at the trials. Heap the love on Stieber if you want - I'm just going off the head-to-head freestyle facts.

Some of you guys have such selective memories. Stieber also lost to Graff at the trials. Heap the love on Stieber if you want - I'm just going off the head-to-head freestyle facts.

npope beat me to the punch here. I think Graff's style is more suited for freestyle. I don't see Stieber beating him in the future.

Graff wrestled great, Stieber wrestled horribly. Wether it was the weight cut, frustration from losing a controversial semi to a teammate, or whatever... I don't know who wins in t he future but I don't think that Stieber will repeatedly throw himself to his own back again.

Could Cael even make the weight? Looking at him, I'd say he does 210-220. Plus, he has suggested that making 185 would be very hard. He also said he would consider 211, but not if Varner, his protege, still wanted the spot.

Cael can beat everyone on the current team regardless of weight-i find this hard to believe but that is what they are saying.

55 - Cejudo

60 - ?

74 - Burroughs

84 - Cael

96 - Varner

How about Varner, Cael, and Wright on he team?

Graff wrestled great, Stieber wrestled horribly. Wether it was the weight cut, frustration from losing a controversial semi to a teammate, or whatever... I don't know who wins in t he future but I don't think that Stieber will repeatedly throw himself to his own back again.

I think by definition, winners wrestle well and losers wrestle bad.

Graff also cuts weight to make 132. Graff had also suffered a tough loss in the semis. The point is, Graff won the only match they have wrestled and no one gives him props for it; people blow right past it. Give him his dues and wait till next time for redemption.

As for Stieber "throwing himself on his back," who is he anyway, DF? ;)

Well I think Stieber will move to 66 kg and make a run at it there. At 84 I don't know Maybe Foster, Reader, Perry, I think that weight is pretty open. At 96 I think it will be Michalak. I think Varner is off doing the family thing. At Hwt. Dlagnev has a solid hold on this weight class, and maybe Bradley, maybe Nelson, but I think they are a long shot. At 55 well I believe Escobedo is the guy. I think he will improve off his performance at the World's.

If there were money in wrestling, we'd have this lineup:

55- Esco or Blanc

60- Cejudo

66- Jenkins (junior world gold)

74- Burroughs

84- Cael

96- Varner

HWT- Dlagnev

But there isn't much money in wrestling. Next year's lineup could look something like this:

55- Blanc or Esco

60- Scott or Humphrey or Steiber

66- Oliver or Metcalf

74- Burroughs

84- Foster

96- Bergman

HWT- Dlagnev

Yes Bergman will be around but hopefully he does not make it. I don't want to sound like a hater but I don't think he can get it done internationally. He has been to two worlds and he has not done much. Also I haven't seen him do much at the other international tourneys. The thing with Bergman is he just doesn't wrestle well on the big stage for whatever reason. I think we would be better off with someone else. As far as Snyder is concerned I would love it if he were to make an immediate impact but I think next year is a little to soon.

If there were money in wrestling, we'd have this lineup:

55- Esco or Blanc

60- Cejudo

66- Jenkins (junior world gold)

74- Burroughs

84- Cael

96- Varner

HWT- Dlagnev

But there isn't much money in wrestling. Next year's lineup could look something like this:

55- Blanc or Esco

60- Scott or Humphrey or Steiber

66- Oliver or Metcalf

74- Burroughs

84- Foster

96- Bergman

HWT- Dlagnev

Metcalf DOMINATED Jenkins in their last freestyle match (after Jenkins won junior gold) and dominated him in every folk style match they ever wrestled. I don't see Jenkins beating Metcalf in anything but an MMA fight. Also, hasn't Jenkins been fighting at 155 with day before weigh-ins? Don't think he would have the ability too still make the cut to 66kg and be anything close to effective.

Metcalf DOMINATED Jenkins in their last freestyle match (after Jenkins won junior gold) and dominated him in every folk style match they ever wrestled. I don't see Jenkins beating Metcalf in anything but an MMA fight. Also, hasn't Jenkins been fighting at 155 with day before weigh-ins? Don't think he would have the ability too still make the cut to 66kg and be anything close to effective.

Of course, we're both just speculating about what might have been, so there are no verifiable answers. Still, my best guess is that Jenkins would have been the best 66kg American freestyler this year if had continued to train. You're free to your best guess, as well.

In a perfect world Caldwell wouldn't have hurt his shoulder, but that's a different story.