Sign in to follow this  
DF

When wrestling and the personalities were great

Watch this match when you get a chance. The match itself is awesome, but what is just as awesome is the general atmosphere. By that I don't mean how much the fans are into the match.

Check out how relaxed and non-authoritarian the refs are in one of the biggest NCAA finals ever. The wrestlers when they're on bottom in par terre move before the whistle almost each time and the ref lets it go and continues the wrestling. Today if your hand is a millimeter away from where the ref thinks it should be or if you so much as flinch before the whistle, the ref will call it no questions asked. Back then it seemed the refs were there to make sure things were going fair and reasonable, now it seems they're looking for things to penalize the wrestlers for.

Check out Shultz's coach. He's all over the mat, up and down the edge, animated and yelling instructions to his wrestler from only a foot or so away, and he gets warned just once towards the end of the match. Then he continues right back up again. But they let it go. If a coach acted like that today all the sticklers would be up in arms. That is if the ref hadn't already stopped the match to make a big deal out of it.

Even the post-match interviews were friendlier. None of the snarky attitude from either the interviewer or interviewee.

I'm a child of the 80's. Attitudes and the personalities were better back in the day. Accept it.

agreed on everything but the shoes. check them out, theyre both wearing the same style ASICS, which were basically just high top slippers with a thin, flat piece of rubber stitched to the sole. after about a week of practice holes would develop around the toe and heel. i believe this was a deliberate and pernicious attempt by the shoe manufactures to bilk kids and their parents out of money by forcing hem to buy multiple pairs.

only in the 90's did the situation rectify itself. pretty much ruined the entire decade of the 80s for me.

bump for nostalgia

I've recently been watching tons of old vids, from old school wrestling matches to sitcoms from the 70s and 80s.

I'm talking Taxi with Louie DePalma and Night Court with Dan Fielding.

Further reaffirms my belief things were better back in the day.

I think we can all agree that wrestling needs a new anti-hero.

I mean, it's okay when great wrestlers are nice, humble, well-rounded athletes but it gets a little boring after awhile.

I don't think so.

Jadsarm_zps53682f23.gif

Maybe Jad's could come out of retirement. Maybe he's just been away because... because he's the anti-hero wrestling deserves, but not the anti-hero wrestling needed--until now.