Sign in to follow this  
wrestler4lyfe

New rules very.. strange (Video)

Refs are more involved in international wrestling than I've ever seen before. Its unfortunate because the athletes are incredibly talented but very seldomly get to showcase much of it. It almost seems like the refs do whatever they want, when they want... very little of the calls makes much sense at all, and at times seem to almost just award points for really no reason.

Ide have to assume they're either that bad at reading and interpretting them

or

They're just deciding the winner and doing all they can in there power to help who they want to.

what do you think?

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... dem-Turkey

Regarding that throw.. they called it 1 pt for correct throw. I thought it was no points. Regarding the passivities, Williams was backing up. The problem is the referees are under pressure to call a lot of passivities when there is no points being scored. That means even if neither wrestler is actively stalling, they need to decide which one is more aggressive, which is a big judgement call. I would have called the passivities more evenly because neither guy was doing much, but Im no Greco expert. The head buttng caution was well deserved, Williams kept drilling him. I thought it was a poorly officiated match, which highlights the problem with the current (otherwise much better) rules. A passivity should not be worth a caution and pt , but ideally only a choice of position like in the old days. However, overall for the tournament I was impressed by the officiating. The calls were generally reasonable, the reviews went quickly and there wasn't the huge controversies we usually see after a major tournament.

the appreciation point was pretty weak. and the slip throw was clearly a bailout while Williams had dominant position. other than those small issues the match was properly officiated. a couple small changes that would help fans is if they had hand signals for specific penalties. and I do agree that passivity probably should be a point but choice of position. for flagrant blocking and refusing to wrestle they should use a fleeing penalty.

refs aren't perfect and neither are the wrestlers and coaches. the percentage of matches that go the wrong way are likely to be statistically zero. for every wrestler who go ripped off there is an opponent who thinks the ref made the right call. there are exceptions, but very few over the course of an entire tournament.

each wrestler has the same opportunity to put the match result in their hands, not the refs.

"each wrestler has the same opportunity to put the match result in their hands, not the refs."

That's true but it doesn't means refs should decide the outcome of matches based on flimsy reasoning.

I've seen some passivity calls lately that are pretty ridiculous.

I watched Greco on the international level for the first time at the 76 Olympics-very exciting. I watch it through the 80's with the incredible sagging bodylock throws, etc. Today doesn't resemble anything like it used to be, now very very boring. watching the above match to completion was like listening through the entire 'Revolution 9' off the Beatles White album- agonizing.

I watched Greco on the international level for the first time at the 76 Olympics-very exciting. I watch it through the 80's with the incredible sagging bodylock throws, etc. Today doesn't resemble anything like it used to be, now very very boring. watching the above match to completion was like listening through the entire 'Revolution 9' off the Beatles White album- agonizing.

Yes, the match sucked, but there were lots of great Greco matches under the new rules. There is a recent thread listing great matches at this years world championship. Gutfirst, I agree that people complain about the officiating too much. I thought the reffing was good at the wordls. However, referees are human and they make mistakes and I thought they made some poor judgement calls in this match.

it rarely fails to go both ways in any given match. wrestlers losing because of poor or subjective officiating is blown out of proportion.

I think your right that it often goes both ways against guys but then again I think that many refs have biases (as we all do) that influence their judgement on matches.

Which is why we should have as little power in the hands of refs as possible. Not sure how to accomplish that but that should be a goal. An easy one might be bringing back OT and make it first point wins (no passivity here).