Sign in to follow this  
Big10fan

PSU to send 4 to All Star Classic

Dr. Gonzo

Was kidding on the Kilgore statement - just messing with the illogical posts.

I imagine it all depends how QW fills out at 197. He has the skills to beat Kilgore but not sure about the strength. Not sure how much QW cut to 184 so maybe someone can chime in. I assume he is top 3-4 to start the season at this weight. Not sure what Kilgore did full time in his year off either.

Hatchet-You had me on everything there except #4. I like Kilgore but QW is very good as well. I don't think QW gets his head ripped off, though he might very well lose. I think we lose sight of how good PSU's wrestlers are because their fans are so stupid.
I actually like the back-and-forth bantoring, but Gonzo, you've crossed the line. All teams have their "crappy" fans, even PSU (I've seen them first hand). Every team also has their reasonable, respectful fans. Even PSU. After reading your comments for years, this particular comment surprised me. It's beneath you.

Dake vs Alton at 157?

Man,what are the Sandusky Soldiers going to do if he majors Frank the Tank, pisspounds the Magic Man AND beats up DA?

More importantly, what does Dake do next? I mean, besides erase Sandersons name from the record books by winning 4 w/out a shirt. Bump up and take on Ruth or Wright?

Total away matches which include both conference and non conference. Btw what is your favorite team? and what have they succeeded in doing for the growth of the sport? So Penn State's recent dominance is the reason for the collapse of the big 12? wow.....not sure if we are truly able to have an accurate ,factual discussion. It's ok to hate PSU...you are allowed. Just trying to help promote the all star classic as one of the ways to grow the sport.

Since you asked I support Binghamton University 1st and foremost.

They are one of the few programs that have been added to the DI ranks in the past 20 years.

They have gone from a marginal DIII program to a top 15 DI program in less than 6 years.

They support a collegiate open, have also hosted a great dual event in the "sprawl and brawl" in which PSU wrestled in, wrestle a full schedule with quality opponents outside their conference, promote wrestling in an area that includes Cornell, and is building a fan base in an area that has produced Josh Glenn, Troy Nickerson, JP O'Connor, Donnie Vinson, and Kyle Dake.

When they had the opportunity to send an athlete to the AS Classic they did.

Total away matches which include both conference and non conference. Btw what is your favorite team? and what have they succeeded in doing for the growth of the sport? So Penn State's recent dominance is the reason for the collapse of the big 12? wow.....not sure if we are truly able to have an accurate ,factual discussion. It's ok to hate PSU...you are allowed. Just trying to help promote the all star classic as one of the ways to grow the sport.

Since you asked I support Binghamton University 1st and foremost.

They are one of the few programs that have been added to the DI ranks in the past 20 years.

They have gone from a marginal DIII program to a top 15 DI program in less than 6 years.

They support a collegiate open, have also hosted a great dual event in the "sprawl and brawl" in which PSU wrestled in, wrestle a full schedule with quality opponents outside their conference, promote wrestling in an area that includes Cornell, and is building a fan base in an area that has produced Josh Glenn, Troy Nickerson, JP O'Connor, Donnie Vinson, and Kyle Dake.

When they had the opportunity to send an athlete to the AS Classic they did.

Lord Nelson just beat wrestle9 like Dake beat Taylor.

I think if Dake beats Taylor again at anything Tigs will off himself. He's emotionally invested himself too deep.

I saw a couple of dudes crying when DT was pinned by bubba.

I was in that flock,

I was just so proud of Bubba for giving Cael the proverbial business indirectly.

Too bad it had to come at the expense of a class kid in DT.

I really respect Binghamton ... Their hiring of former penn state coach Dernlan and nittany lion club wrestler coach Ware has been brilliant. So you do take pride in sending wrestlers to all star classic. That's great!

Are there only 4 wrestlers attending this event? If so, it's not much of an All-Star match, is it? And if not, then any discussion of who is attending/ not attending is a bit premature, huh? :roll: :P

How about we wait and see? (But yeah, I know, what's the fun in that!?) ;)

I really respect Binghamton ... Their hiring of former penn state coach Dernlan and nittany lion club wrestler coach Ware has been brilliant. So you do take pride in sending wrestlers to all star classic. That's great!

I posted that on page 1 of this thread.

RoarLions1-I sincerely apologize. Now I seriously feel bad. What I was saying was Penn St. has a VERY good team and their wrestlers are VERY enjoyable to watch on the mat. Sometimes that may get lost by all the hyperbole and nonsense coming from SOME PSU fans. I'll be the first to admit not all PSU fans are bad. Again I apologize to all...except Tigs....and Mopar. :D

Hatchet-You had me on everything there except #4. I like Kilgore but QW is very good as well. I don't think QW gets his head ripped off, though he might very well lose. I think we lose sight of how good PSU's wrestlers are because their fans are so stupid.
I actually like the back-and-forth bantoring, but Gonzo, you've crossed the line. All teams have their "crappy" fans, even PSU (I've seen them first hand). Every team also has their reasonable, respectful fans. Even PSU. After reading your comments for years, this particular comment surprised me. It's beneath you.

I agree with Gonzo that we lose sight of just how good the PSU wrestlers are. As far as crossing the line, Penn State fans did that years ago. There is not much of a line left.

I agree with Gonzo that we lose sight of just how good the PSU wrestlers are. As far as crossing the line, Penn State fans did that years ago. There is not much of a line left.

Actually, the line is still there, look a little harder. Most fans are like me, late 50's, lifetime fan, with respect for the Iowa's, Okie State's and every other team out there. Just want to see good wrestling. Sure I'm happy for my Nittany Lions, and proud too, but like most of us Nits, won't be chest-thumping just because we won a little. Been around long enough to see that whoever you root for has their "bad" fans too. We all do, don't let a couple bad apples define a great fan base.

Lord Nelson.. I guess I got confused about your stance on page 1... potentially criticizing Koll for maybe not sending Dake to support all star event, and then not acknowledging that Penn State was not doing their part by sending 4 guys to the all star event... seems contradictory to me or is it just because its your obvious dislike for PSU?

I for one think PSU is the heavy favorite to win the dual team or individual title this year. Those issues aside, we're now stuck with new made up debates about how PSU is now carrying wrestling for all of us and other teams have chickened out by not sending their best to an exhibition. I also think Taylor is very legit and could beat Dake if they wrestled again.

Those issues aside, I have no idea why some of the PSU fans on this board keep digging for attention with baseless comments and contrived scenarios to disadvantage other programs and kids. You'd think you'd be happy with pts 1/2 above. I guess not.

Pts of reminder:

1) Dake planked Taylor at 165 already.

2) Taylor and or or PSU faithful stated earlier Taylor would go down and wrestle Dake this year (what happened to that plan?)

3) Cael did not attend National Duals which was his time to shine if he had the best "dual team" which he clearly did not last year

4) And in the spririt of unrelated, non-sensical topic starters from PSU Fans, Kilgore is going to rip Wright's head off at 197.

I disagree with your statement that PSU is a heavy dual favorite. Minnesota is CLEARLY the favorite and I see them, albeit on paper, as a 6 match to 4 favorite against PSU.125 Megaludis is slightly favored over Thorn-Slight edge PSU133 Dardanes is a heavy favorite- Heavy favorite MINN141 Dardanes-Heavy favorite MINN149 Ness slight favorite over Alton -Slight favorite MINN157 Alton-Heavy favorite PSU165 Taylor Heavy favorite over Yohn- Heavy favorite PSU174 Storley vs Brown is a tossup but on paper returning AA is favorite-Slight favorite MINN184 Ruth slight to moderate favorite- Favorite PSU197 Schiller slight favorite over McIntosh-Slight to Heavy favorite MINN (if McIntosh RS's)285 Nelson -Heavy favorite MINN. A dual format truly gives less powerful tournament teams a chance to win a Championship.

I for one think PSU is the heavy favorite to win the dual team or individual title this year. Those issues aside, we're now stuck with new made up debates about how PSU is now carrying wrestling for all of us and other teams have chickened out by not sending their best to an exhibition. I also think Taylor is very legit and could beat Dake if they wrestled again.

Those issues aside, I have no idea why some of the PSU fans on this board keep digging for attention with baseless comments and contrived scenarios to disadvantage other programs and kids. You'd think you'd be happy with pts 1/2 above. I guess not.

Pts of reminder:

1) Dake planked Taylor at 165 already.

2) Taylor and or or PSU faithful stated earlier Taylor would go down and wrestle Dake this year (what happened to that plan?)

3) Cael did not attend National Duals which was his time to shine if he had the best "dual team" which he clearly did not last year

4) And in the spririt of unrelated, non-sensical topic starters from PSU Fans, Kilgore is going to rip Wright's head off at 197.

I disagree with your statement that PSU is a heavy dual favorite. Minnesota is CLEARLY the favorite and I see them, albeit on paper, as a 6 match to 4 favorite against PSU.125 Megaludis is slightly favored over Thorn-Slight edge PSU133 Dardanes is a heavy favorite- Heavy favorite MINN141 Dardanes-Heavy favorite MINN149 Ness slight favorite over Alton -Slight favorite MINN157 Alton-Heavy favorite PSU165 Taylor Heavy favorite over Yohn- Heavy favorite PSU174 Storley vs Brown is a tossup but on paper returning AA is favorite-Slight favorite MINN184 Ruth slight to moderate favorite- Favorite PSU197 Schiller slight favorite over McIntosh-Slight to Heavy favorite MINN (if McIntosh RS's)285 Nelson -Heavy favorite MINN. A dual format truly gives less powerful tournament teams a chance to win a Championship.

174 tossup favors Brown PSU because he beat Storley 7-5 last year. 197 heavily favors national champ Wright PSU.

I am very interested to see how both Alton and Ness compete together and with Chamberlain and potentially Oliver. Definitely rank Ness higher, but personally I see Alton winning that match.

ok now things have gone a full circle and I'll defend PSU...How do you have Minny the favorite over PSU?

Here's my PSU wins vs. Minny -

125 PSU not that close

149 PSU close

157 PSU not that close

165 PSU not that close

174 PSU close

184 PSU not that close

197 PSU maybe close but a win for PSU

L = Heavy, 133, 141 and that's assuming PSU doesn't catch fire at these weights.

ok now things have gone a full circle and I'll defend PSU...How do you have Minny the favorite over PSU?

Here's my PSU wins vs. Minny -

125 PSU not that close

149 PSU close

157 PSU not that close

165 PSU not that close

174 PSU close

184 PSU not that close

197 PSU maybe close but a win for PSU

L = Heavy, 133, 141 and that's assuming PSU doesn't catch fire at these weights.

125 should be close.

WOW !!! PSU has truly, and 100% "arrived" !!!!

Used to be Iowa had gotten all the trash talk ... Now it's PSU !!!

I love it!! It gives Iowa a break .. to reload.

I don't recall ever ... when a team put 4 guys into the All Star match. And all the PSU haters come out of the woodwork!! :lol: Plus someone was questioning/ wondering about a 5th entry .....

Someone mentioned Howe .... If you RS, I pretty sure you can't wrestle in the ALL Star Event. ;)

I suspect, with this announcement, the draw at the ALL-Stars will probably be better then the past few events. Last year the event was like a ghost town.... Get Chamberlain into the mix, and some carefully thought out match ups for the rest of the weight classes and it should be a very, very good event!!

I don't recall ever ... when a team put 4 guys into the All Star match. And all the PSU haters come out of the woodwork!! :lol: Plus someone was questioning/ wondering about a 5th entry .....

Iowa, 2008. Falck, Metcalf, Borschel, and Keddy.

Nice catch SHP .... I forgot about that year.... ;)

Lord Nelson.. I guess I got confused about your stance on page 1... potentially criticizing Koll for maybe not sending Dake to support all star event, and then not acknowledging that Penn State was not doing their part by sending 4 guys to the all star event... seems contradictory to me or is it just because its your obvious dislike for PSU?

Not criticizing Koll for not sending Dake, saying that it is hypocritical for Koll not to support the AS event after promoting the Duals so hard. Both promote the sport but the Duals are a far bigger support structure for the sport than is the AS match.

PSU gets credit for supporting this event, but as for "doing their part for the sport" that is a bit overcooked. They clearly spearheaded the anti sentiment toward the most positive change the sport needs to get the small to mid major teams an opportunity to better get their names and recruiting status out there.

I do dislike the modern PSU, for a multitude of reasons. I love their wrestlers and wrestling style. I RESPECT Cael as the best NCAA wrestler ever and one of our country's all time greats. I RESPECT Cael as a coach. I do not ANNOINT him as a true ambassador of the sport. I realize he doesn't get paid to make other schools better. I feel he could do more to promote the sport.

If he doesn't want to support the NCAA Duals concept, then he could've attended them before the NCAA got involved. Same goes for Iowa in the past. I respect Brands more for the fact that he never hides the fact he does what he feels is best for Iowa. He doesn't come out with a 10 page spiel of BS trying to justify his opinion.

Like the Iowa fans and their love for Brent Metcalf, it is tiring to see the endless threads on DT and lack of reality PSU fans have when the poor kid gets beat. "He got caught" "It didn't count" It is all ridiculous.

WOW !!! PSU has truly, and 100% "arrived" !!!!

And for the Idiot, (GuillermoBilletas)who brought Sandusky name into the thread ... Get a life. Either you are a Cael, or PSU fan or not .... Do not roll the PSU wrestling team into the Sandusky crap!!

Had it not been for the Paterno football era, would PSU be able to roll out the money for Cael and his fully funded wrestling program and OTC??