Sign in to follow this  
Big10fan

PSU to send 4 to All Star Classic

Lord Nelson, maybe you should reread what you said on page 1???? Penn State not doing their part unless David Taylor sucks down to 157 to wrestle Dake. Wow!! Isnt that grasping for straws? I guess you will always ( like many others) throw in the Sandusky scandal and relate it to the wresting program...when you have nothing else to intelligent to say. Classless!!!! ( btw, the football program could be gone tomorrow and we could still afford to pay our coaches and keep the OTC... TRUST ME ). Im not gonna gloat over PSU...no need to, but if you would like ( and its public) google penn state's "THON" for cancer research. By this you can see the true spirit of the university!

WOW !!! PSU has truly, and 100% "arrived" !!!!

Used to be Iowa had gotten all the trash talk ... Now it's PSU !!!

I love it!! It gives Iowa a break .. to reload.

I don't recall ever ... when a team put 4 guys into the All Star match. And all the PSU haters come out of the woodwork!! :lol: Plus someone was questioning/ wondering about a 5th entry .....

Someone mentioned Howe .... If you RS, I pretty sure you can't wrestle in the ALL Star Event. ;)

And for the Idiot, (GuillermoBilletas)who brought Sandusky name into the thread ... Get a life. Either you are a Cael, or PSU fan or not .... Do not roll the PSU wrestling team into the Sandusky crap!!

I suspect, with this announcement, the draw at the ALL-Stars will probably be better then the past few events. Last year the event was like a ghost town.... Get Chamberlain into the mix, and some carefully thought out match ups for the rest of the weight classes and it should be a very, very good event!!

Spot on Wire. Penn State and their fans are the bad guys now, yet if you look at this thread (and many others) all of the name calling, straw arguments and general nastiness come from the haters.

Gonzo hates Penn Fans and calles them stupid (lol from him) yet if anyone looked at his posts over the past 6 months, you would wonder what mental deficiency he was suffering from; and that doesn't include a couple threads he got deleted for over-the-top nonsense. As for Guillermo, I wonder if he would have the guts to say that to our faces?

Lord Nelson, maybe you should reread what you said on page 1???? Penn State not doing their part unless David Taylor sucks down to 157 to wrestle Dake. Wow!! Isnt that grasping for straws? I guess you will always ( like many others) throw in the Sandusky scandal and relate it to the wresting program...when you have nothing else to intelligent to say. Classless!!!! ( btw, the football program could be gone tomorrow and we could still afford to pay our coaches and keep the OTC... TRUST ME ). Im not gonna gloat over PSU...no need to, but if you would like ( and its public) google penn state's "THON" for cancer research. By this you can see the true spirit of the university!

Not relating Sandusky to the wrestling program.

However,

You didn't have a coach making the money Cael is making until Cael.

Nor, did you have the high level success in the middle of the best wrestling state in the country.

The money the football program has generated has been good for all sports at PSU, and that fact is undeniable.

Has Cael and his staff maximized the opportunity?? Absolutely and as I already stated I have much respect for him in that regard. What he has done for PSU Wrestling and the University in general can't be overstated. What he has done for the sport of wrestling is overstated, and frequently by his blind supporters.

Lord.. You sound like a very moral person and certainly a very harsh judge( hence your name you use).... but when u bring up the sandusky thing and how it relates to our affording the coaching staff and the OTC your skin must be crawling by the hiring of Matt Dernlan and Teyon Ware by Binghamton university(your first love).. Matt is a great guy and Teyon improved greatly at the NLWC... Matt is head coach material for sure... you guys are very fortunate to have both of these former Penn Staters. However it is undeniable .. as you say.. that these guys were paid during the sandusky thing and both benefitted greatly from the hiring of Cael Sanderson. No way Matt gets 2 div 1 offers within a year of the hiring of Cael. Its a shame you are gonna struggle with this and not be able to enjoy to GREAT guys Binghamton now have. You think maybe these 2 might be just a little bit happy about the hiring of Cael? :roll:

I for one think PSU is the heavy favorite to win the dual team or individual title this year. Those issues aside, we're now stuck with new made up debates about how PSU is now carrying wrestling for all of us and other teams have chickened out by not sending their best to an exhibition. I also think Taylor is very legit and could beat Dake if they wrestled again.

Those issues aside, I have no idea why some of the PSU fans on this board keep digging for attention with baseless comments and contrived scenarios to disadvantage other programs and kids. You'd think you'd be happy with pts 1/2 above. I guess not.

Pts of reminder:

1) Dake planked Taylor at 165 already.

2) Taylor and or or PSU faithful stated earlier Taylor would go down and wrestle Dake this year (what happened to that plan?)

3) Cael did not attend National Duals which was his time to shine if he had the best "dual team" which he clearly did not last year

4) And in the spririt of unrelated, non-sensical topic starters from PSU Fans, Kilgore is going to rip Wright's head off at 197.

I disagree with your statement that PSU is a heavy dual favorite. Minnesota is CLEARLY the favorite and I see them, albeit on paper, as a 6 match to 4 favorite against PSU.125 Megaludis is slightly favored over Thorn-Slight edge PSU133 Dardanes is a heavy favorite- Heavy favorite MINN141 Dardanes-Heavy favorite MINN149 Ness slight favorite over Alton -Slight favorite MINN157 Alton-Heavy favorite PSU165 Taylor Heavy favorite over Yohn- Heavy favorite PSU174 Storley vs Brown is a tossup but on paper returning AA is favorite-Slight favorite MINN184 Ruth slight to moderate favorite- Favorite PSU197 Schiller slight favorite over McIntosh-Slight to Heavy favorite MINN (if McIntosh RS's)285 Nelson -Heavy favorite MINN. A dual format truly gives less powerful tournament teams a chance to win a Championship.

174 tossup favors Brown PSU because he beat Storley 7-5 last year. 197 heavily favors national champ Wright PSU.

I am very interested to see how both Alton and Ness compete together and with Chamberlain and potentially Oliver. Definitely rank Ness higher, but personally I see Alton winning that match.

I can't believe I left out Wright. I agree that changes things considerably but I don't see more than a 3 pt win for Wright up that weight. With that in mind bonus pts are going to be huge in this dual. Other than Taylor and 157 Alton (who is awesome but not a prolific scorer) I think PSU has an extremely difficult time getting bonus. Ruth is awesome but as thick as Steinhaus is I doubt he can work him over that hard. While I see Minny bonusing at 133, 141 and 285.

Now this may not make Minny a clear cut favorite but I think it proves my pt that PSU isn't a HEAVY favorite as was earlier mentioned.

Things Binghamton have credit for, for their success: Support from alumni, administration, and community. Position in wrestling rich Southern Tier NY at the footstep of wrestling rich northern PA. And the work put forth by many individuals leading up to today..... NOT including PSU or Dernlen or his staff. Dernlen is fortunate that these things were put into place before he arrived. This should not be confused as being the other way around.

ok now things have gone a full circle and I'll defend PSU...How do you have Minny the favorite over PSU?

Here's my PSU wins vs. Minny -

125 PSU not that close

149 PSU close

157 PSU not that close

165 PSU not that close

174 PSU close

184 PSU not that close

197 PSU maybe close but a win for PSU

L = Heavy, 133, 141 and that's assuming PSU doesn't catch fire at these weights.

You are posting your opinion. I was going by paper. That is how FAVORITES are determined. Although I did miss Wright which would put them at 5-5 with bonus being the deciding factor. The defending runner up at 149, until/unless he loses to Alton, would be the favorite. At 174 I stated it was a tossup, but regardless of an early season loss to Brown, Storley is a returning AA and would still be considered a favorite over Brown. Give those 2 matches back to Minny and the big wins that Minny will get at the 3 weights you say PSU can catch fire at and Minny is looking at scoring 18-20 while I see PSU scoring 17-19.

I definitely think PSU has a great chance to win, I just simply don't see them as the favorites you indicated earlier.

WOW !!! PSU has truly, and 100% "arrived" !!!!

And for the Idiot, (GuillermoBilletas)who brought Sandusky name into the thread ... Get a life. Either you are a Cael, or PSU fan or not .... Do not roll the PSU wrestling team into the Sandusky crap!!

Had it not been for the Paterno football era, would PSU be able to roll out the money for Cael and his fully funded wrestling program and OTC??

I'm not going to suggest that it didn't make an indirect difference, but the money was largely (if not entirely) funded by an ex-wrestler.

ok now things have gone a full circle and I'll defend PSU...How do you have Minny the favorite over PSU?

Here's my PSU wins vs. Minny -

125 PSU not that close

149 PSU close

157 PSU not that close

165 PSU not that close

174 PSU close

184 PSU not that close

197 PSU maybe close but a win for PSU

L = Heavy, 133, 141 and that's assuming PSU doesn't catch fire at these weights.

You are posting your opinion. I was going by paper. That is how FAVORITES are determined. Although I did miss Wright which would put them at 5-5 with bonus being the deciding factor. The defending runner up at 149, until/unless he loses to Alton, would be the favorite. At 174 I stated it was a tossup, but regardless of an early season loss to Brown, Storley is a returning AA and would still be considered a favorite over Brown. Give those 2 matches back to Minny and the big wins that Minny will get at the 3 weights you say PSU can catch fire at and Minny is looking at scoring 18-20 while I see PSU scoring 17-19.

I definitely think PSU has a great chance to win, I just simply don't see them as the favorites you indicated earlier.

There is no way I can favor Storley over Brown right now. It already happened. You cannot dock Brown for sitting behind Ruth. Might the result be reversed next time? Of course.

As for no bonus at 184... Maybe. Sure, once in a blue moon, Ruth doesn't score bonus. IMO Amuchastegui >> Steinhaus.

I'm very interested to see what Ness can show us this year. Of course he was 2nd at NCAAs, but he only beat 1 wrestler the entire year who would become an AA. I won't be surprised if he's national champ, but I won't be surprised if he slips to a low AA this time around.

Tigs-I really hate it when you take what I say out of context. Not only did I just apologize to a new poster for generalizing my hate, but I clarified. I don't hate PSU, I don't hate PSU fans, and I don't hate PSU wrestlers. I hate fans like you. I like that you're passionate and I like that you're a fan of wrestling. I hate that you make excuses for every PSU wrestler that loses. It's annoying. I realize every team has good fans and bad fans. Iowa is no different. PSU is no different. Scribes above post is pretty spot on when it comes to the blind haters.

" I hate that you make excuses for every PSU wrestler that loses."

What I hate is how you continuously fabricate things just so you can complain about them. Please list all the wrestlers I have made excuses for. Let me guess, DT and ????????????????

Gonzo, you really should go into the straw manufacturing business.

Obviously I'm never going to alter your perception of reality, however flawed it may be, you're sure as hell not going to change me. The only thing I complain about is you and a couple of your boys and the excuses. Learn how to win and lose and we'd have no issue. You can call it whatever you want but I'm not ever going stay silent when you or anyone else refuses to call a spade a spade. Just happens your a PSU fan. Would be the same if you were an OSU fan. Every time you speak I just want to ask you if you've met kettle.

I guess people could bring up PSU fans (myself included) making excuses for Ruth losing to Amuch at NCAAs in Philly. You know, how we all said Ruth only got dominated like that because he severely injured his knee and could not continue the way he would have otherwise...

That would be a good example, except...oh wait...that IS what happened! It WAS NOT an excuse! Given the fact that he absolutely destroyed Amuch last year in the finals when not injured, it is now confirmed that the "exucse" we all made up for Ruth was legitimate (as if the surgery he had after that season wasn't proof enough of its legitimacy).

I get where you are coming from Gonzo I really do...but to carry the "PSU fans make excuses when their guys lose" thing anywhere beyond Taylor is nonsense...

JMO- I would like to see a MIXTURE of talent- I do not need to see the TOP wrestlers from DI. I wouldnt mind seeing the #1 DII kid wrestle the #4 DI wrestler ...etc. etc.

btw- NO, I think PSU should be represented by "1" wrestler and each Conference should get an invite-e. I LIKE VARIETY.

DO WE REALLY NEED TO SEE - STAND-OFFISH MATCHES....prior to the NCAAs- B-O-R-I-NG !!!!

Everyone wants to see Dake beat Taylor again.....this time it will make your eyes bleed from the lack of movement. Maybe, one takedown- and maybe, 2 escapes- Depends if, Dake really wants to shut the mouths of his critics.

JMO- I would like to see a MIXTURE of talent- I do not need to see the TOP wrestlers from DI. I wouldnt mind seeing the #1 DII kid wrestle the #4 DI wrestler ...etc. etc.

btw- NO, I think PSU should be represented by "1" wrestler and each Conference should get an invite-e. I LIKE VARIETY.

DO WE REALLY NEED TO SEE - STAND-OFFISH MATCHES....prior to the NCAAs- B-O-R-I-NG !!!!

Everyone wants to see Dake beat Taylor again.....this time it will make your eyes bleed from the lack of movement. Maybe, one takedown- and maybe, 2 escapes- Depends if, Dake really wants to shut the mouths of his critics.

Is this thread somehow linked to the HS boards?

Is this thread somehow linked to the HS boards?

It's linked to the 1970s boards, yes.

No, it is linked to the common sense board.

They have the NCAA Tourney at the end of the Collegian season- distinguishing the BEST at each weight. The logic of the ALL STAR match could use a face lift....such as having a wrestler moving up a weight to challenge someone. Hence, the Dake /Taylor match has this kind of anticipation.

Other than that.....Most ALL STAR anythings usually "suck" !!

btw- I cant believe Dake is taking this match with Taylor. He has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prove. Apparently, the RED Team feels very confident that the 3X NCAA Champ- will put ALL to rest.

No, it is linked to the common sense board.

They have the NCAA Tourney at the end of the Collegian season- distinguishing the BEST at each weight. The logic of the ALL STAR match could use a face lift....such as having a wrestler moving up a weight to challenge someone. Hence, the Dake /Taylor match has this kind of anticipation.

Other than that.....Most ALL STAR anythings usually "suck" !!

btw- I cant believe Dake is taking this match with Taylor. He has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prove. Apparently, the RED Team feels very confident that the 3X NCAA Champ- will put ALL to rest.

Messenger Boy: "The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.", Achilles: "Thats why no-one will remember your name."

thank god dake does not think like marty....