Sign in to follow this  
FATMANROLL

Wrestlers that were better early in their career

Regular season, Regular season, Regular season, Regular season, Regular season.

What is the NCAA tournament? Ah, post season.

Understand now???

Why the F would anyone say that because someone had 7 pins in the regular season their freshman year, they were more dominant than their senior year when they won NCAA's? You are equating a DNP with 7 pins being more dominant than 2 pins and an NCAA championship. If thats the case, you should have named the thread "NCAA champions who were better when they DNP'd." Yeah, Max Askren was better as a freshman. Get real dude.

Gee, I don't know olddirty probably because in terms of falls, major decisions, tech falls and record going into the NCAA's as a freshman, he had one loss and was seeded #1. So during the REGULAR SEASON he was most dominant his freshman year. He didn't have the majors, the techs or the falls in the REGULAR SEASON his senior year that he did his freshman year. He had more losses going into the NCAA's and he was seeded #6.

Once we include POST SEASON it clearly shows that he had a better ending to his senior season than he did to his freshman one. However, if you'd just stop a second and compare REGULAR SEASON of his freshman year to his REGULAR SEASON his senior year, you'd see that during the REGULAR SEASON he was more dominant as a freshman than he was as a senior.

Fivewords, did I not specify?

JT1- do you think I predicted that Grajales would have a good career at 149? I 100% guarantee that I never wrote anything of the sort. I am not a fan of Grajales or the Brandon program at all.

I think you are just messing with me.

JT1- do you think I predicted that Grajales would have a good career at 149? I 100% guarantee that I never wrote anything of the sort. I am not a fan of Grajales or the Brandon program at all.

I think you are just messing with me.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Grajales career isn't over yet. He still has this year. I'll bring it up to you if Grajales does as I think he will. Which is very good. If he ends up coming up short again, feel free to bring it up to me.

Gee, I don't know olddirty probably because in terms of falls, major decisions, tech falls and record going into the NCAA's as a freshman, he had one loss and was seeded #1. So during the REGULAR SEASON he was most dominant his freshman year. He didn't have the majors, the techs or the falls in the REGULAR SEASON his senior year that he did his freshman year. He had more losses going into the NCAA's and he was seeded #6.

Once we include POST SEASON it clearly shows that he had a better ending to his senior season than he did to his freshman one. However, if you'd just stop a second and compare REGULAR SEASON of his freshman year to his REGULAR SEASON his senior year, you'd see that during the REGULAR SEASON he was more dominant as a freshman than he was as a senior.

Fivewords, did I not specify?

The thread was "early in their career" not regular season performance. Do you honestly believe a guy who had 1 loss his freshman year with 7 pins was that much more dominant than in his senior year when he had 2 losses and no pins, especially considering that Missouri let Askren's backup wrestle against lesser competition his senior year?

When assessing a wrestlers ability to dominate the competition, in what world does it make sense to totally disregard the one tournament of the year that establishes who the best wrestler is?

Olddirty - I give up. I've explained to you 4 times....You don't get it by now, you won't.

BigApple - you got me on that one. I keep forgetting that Maple isn't going 141 again.

Ancient_History - Nothing to be sorry about, it's the truth. Thompson's senior year in a lot of ways, was not his best. In previous years he was seeded #2, #2 and #1. As a senior he was seeded #3. He also had more losses his senior year than he did any other year as well. However, the 2004 NCAA tournament is one of my favorite memories, as in route from a Quarterfinal loss, Thompson avenged three earlier season losses against Jayne, Lee and Vasqeuz to a third place finish.

What's weird here is that Thompson and Josh Moore had multiple opportunities to meet over of course of three years (Moore wasn't varsity as a freshman) but only met that one time with Moore winning that 8-7 match.

I don't know ancient_history if I'd say that or not. He was severely ill. From what I heard, he was on the verge of dying, had lost a tremendous amount of weight and was incredibly weak. He missed an entire year of wrestling, drilling and working out. I don't even known if he was able to walk during that time.

To be able to come back after all of that, get back on the mat and finish out your career with a R12 and then a 5th place finish to me is a testimony of intestinal fortitude.

Nick Marable from Missouri placed 3rd his sophomore year, 7th his junior year, and DNP his senior year. I don't know if I would necessarily say he was BETTER earlier in his career, but he definitely placed better in the NCAA tournament.

In his junior and senior seasons he faced Nick Amuchastegui in the first round of the NCAA tourney and lost both times. We all know Amuchastegui ended up having a prettttyyy good college career with 2 NCAA finals appearances and 3 AA honors. Pretty poor draws for Marable, but hey, it is what it is

I don't know ancient_history if I'd say that or not. He was severely ill. From what I heard, he was on the verge of dying, had lost a tremendous amount of weight and was incredibly weak. He missed an entire year of wrestling, drilling and working out. I don't even known if he was able to walk during that time.

To be able to come back after all of that, get back on the mat and finish out your career with a R12 and then a 5th place finish to me is a testimony of intestinal fortitude.

I was not aware of that. I didn't think he placed again after placing 4th as a Soph, am I wrong about that? I am reluctant to say Letters for the same reason with his injury his senior year, but losing to a freshman Mark Perry his Jr year is quite a step down from the invincible status he was perceived to have. I know, Mark Perry is a stud, but freshman Mark Perry does not compare to Senior Tyrone Lewis he beat the year before

I was not aware of that. I didn't think he placed again after placing 4th as a Soph, am I wrong about that? I am reluctant to say Letters for the same reason with his injury his senior year, but losing to a freshman Mark Perry his Jr year is quite a step down from the invincible status he was perceived to have. I know, Mark Perry is a stud, but freshman Mark Perry does not compare to Senior Tyrone Lewis he beat the year before

He placed 4th as a freshman. Completely missed his sophomore year because of the illness, came back the following year to finish R12 and then finished 5th as a senior.

He placed 4th as a freshman. Completely missed his sophomore year because of the illness, came back the following year to finish R12 and then finished 5th as a senior.

Eh I got it all wrong. I guess that history wasn't ancient enough for me.

Darrell Vasquez suffered from the Epstein-Barr virus, he had to withdraw from Cal Poly for a year, 2005-2006 academic year. The NCAA didn't grant him a medical redshirt year.

Afaik, the NCAA denied him a medical redshirt year for that year.

As a twist on this question, I actually seem to find few wrestlers who aren't afflicted by senioritis. By senior year, it just seems that few have the season that they did in past seasons.

Dan Gable?