Sign in to follow this  
scribe

What weight is Jordan Oliver wrestling?

I'll believe it when I see it, but jumping up two weight classes in your final year doesn't seem logical to me. He's 4-1-2 thus far in his career and if he goes 149, I see this being his lowest finish.

Mark Churella

1976 3 150

1977 1 150

1978 1 150

1979 1 167

I have to say that I am impressed that for as long as the talk of J.O. moving up has been aorund, I have not read the following yet.

Oliver is so scared of the beat down Stieber will put on him that he has to move up two weights!

Did anyone see the match 4 months ago vs Metcalf? Jordan will handle 149 just fine, he almost beat the most dominant 149 pounder from the last 10 years, who was 3 years removed from college. I say Jordan wins nationals this year, he will control Ness and Chamberlain.

greenmt and silver-Agree totally. I did see the match with Metcalf and he was undersized. I think he handles 49 fine and by the end of the season is at the right size. Not to sound corny but as far as USA is concerned we need Oliver at 49. I'm still a Metcalf guy but that weight class needs depth and it needs Oliver.

I'll believe it when I see it, but jumping up two weight classes in your final year doesn't seem logical to me. He's 4-1-2 thus far in his career and if he goes 149, I see this being his lowest finish.

Mark Churella

1976 3 150

1977 1 150

1978 1 150

1979 1 167

Of course there are examples where it has worked before. There are examples where it hasn't. It wasn't his senior year but after a dominating performance at the NCAA's as a sophomore at 141, (That included sticking returning NCAA champion Aaron Holker and manhandling Scott Moore twice) Phil Simpson moved up to 157 and barely snuck in an 8th place finish.

A weight class is one thing, TWO is another. Still...he may do very well if he goes 149.

What about that fellow from Iowa in the 90s that went from 126 to 142 and won?

You mean McGinness, who went from DNP at 126 (1996) to 1st at 142 (1998)....and the 142 was with a 7 lb weight allowance.

greenmt and silver-Agree totally. I did see the match with Metcalf and he was undersized. I think he handles 49 fine and by the end of the season is at the right size. Not to sound corny but as far as USA is concerned we need Oliver at 49. I'm still a Metcalf guy but that weight class needs depth and it needs Oliver.

I think 149 is potentially the deepest weight returning this year.

Without Oliver, there are 8 returning AA's.

Throw in Oliver, Grajales, A. Alton, and last year's 3rd seed Van Ohlen and you have at the very least an amazing round of 12.

After that, Santos, Habat, Mason, Sueflohn, Lopuchanski, Schmitt aren't bums.

I think JO is good enough to factor at any weight for a title.

I wouldn't get too crazy about the Metcalf performance only because he never really garnered his own offense. He at best semi nuetralized Metcalf. His points in the 2nd period came off a typical forced shot by Metcalf. I see him at 141.

What about that fellow from Iowa in the 90s that went from 126 to 142 and won?

You mean McGinness, who went from DNP at 126 (1996) to 1st at 142 (1998)....and the 142 was with a 7 lb weight allowance.

He had a redshirt year between, and wasn't 98 the year they did away with weight allowances and changed the weight classes due to wrestler deaths? If I remember correctly I don't think they got the allowances that year.

OSU 2012/13 roster has JO at 133. But what do they know.

those are last years weights. none of the freshmen have weights listed because none of the athlete information has been submitted by the coaching staff.