Sign in to follow this  
DF

LOL at wrestling making up paper champions

The record books are pretending Leipold vanished into thin air at the 2000 Olympics and Jadidi did likewise at the '93 world championships.

Those tournaments must have taken place in the Bermuda Triangle for such an amazing phenomenon to occur.

It's like when they erased Mr. Armstrong from being the champ at the Tour de France from 1999-2005. But they at least had the decency to leave the 1st place winner spot blank instead of moving everybody up one place like they do in wrestling.

So you can lose the actual match on the mat but on paper you are the champion? Sounds legit.

So simply remove the gold medalist but keep everyone else at silver & bronze? Interesting.

If you don't win yer match, you can't have any gold. How can you have any gold if you don't win yer match?! You! Yes, you behind the champion, stand still laddy!

If you cheat you deserve to lose.

If you lose the match on the mat you don't deserve to be champion on paper.

If you get caught cheating then you should lose. Doesn't matter if you win because you cheated. You still cheated and that is a loss. Maybe if Jadidi or Leipold decided not to cheat they would have a world and Olympic title to their credit. Instead, nothing but a big fat "I'm a cheater" branded on their forehead as a result.

Maybe if Jadidi or Leipold decided not to cheat they would have a world and Olympic title to their credit.

Jadidi won a world championship in '98...5 years after winning his first world championship in '93 (which was taken away) and 2 years after his '96 olympic title was also taken away when he should have been declared the '96 olympic champion if you go by the proper objective criteria and not "home field advantage" criteria.

That's 2 world and olympic golds taken away under dubious circumstances, and Jads still came back to win a world title.

Word has it that this epic speech was inspired entirely by the above events:

You know, in all seriousness, Jadidi should have won the match against Angle 2-1, and it should not have gone to a decision. If you watch the turn that Jadidi scored on, Kurt did not go palm to palm. His elbow touched, which should have resulted in a 2 pt turn. Watch the video and you will see what I mean. Of course being down by a point would have changed Angle's tactics, but "as is", Jadidi really should have won.

What was the criteria for determining a tied match at the time? Passivities were equal, does it just come down to the officials opinion after that? I have friend who was there (wrestled at the 96 Olympics) and he thought Jadidi's use of breaks when tired was the reason they picked against him. He also suggested that home field advantage might be a factor. That match is about as even as can be... Angle more aggressive early, Jadidi more aggressive late. Referees decisions suck even worse than criteria- just let them wrestle!

I think the reason Angle got it was because of the near takedown in the last 30 seconds of OT. If he had been able to get to the side Jadidi couldn't have stopped him as he'd firmly planted Jadid on his rear end. He was afraid of getting lifted in that position so he stayed safe. Smart tactic that probably won him the gold medal. As I recall Jadidi did not score a takedown in that match whereas Angle had 1 and nearly another.

Jadidi is a cheater and a baby. Just like Leipold he should have no title. If you cheat you should be banned for life. Now back to that match. Angle clearly never stalled like Jads did. Jads was sitting on his arse the last minute sucking air and should have been penalized a point after the ref over and over again told him to get his arse back to the center. Close tough match and the "'clear winner" was Angle. The earlier turn that could have been two was too close to see if the elbow touched so..I watched it many times. A clear tie and winner is the guy who hustled back to the center every time. And also the arsehole Jads tried raising his own hand, overpowering the ref-what an arse!!! The ref probably thought the same and stuck it to the cheater!

Jadidi is a cheater and a baby. Just like Leipold he should have no title. If you cheat you should be banned for life. Now back to that match. Angle clearly never stalled like Jads did. Jads was sitting on his arse the last minute sucking air and should have been penalized a point after the ref over and over again told him to get his arse back to the center. Close tough match and the "'clear winner" was Angle. The earlier turn that could have been two was too close to see if the elbow touched so..I watched it many times. A clear tie and winner is the guy who hustled back to the center every time. And also the arsehole Jads tried raising his own hand, overpowering the ref-what an arse!!! The ref probably thought the same and stuck it to the cheater!

I don't know what match you were watching, in the first 2:25 of overtime, Angle takes one lame, fake Japanese whizzer/slip shot, then Jads takes five unanswered shots, two of which were near takedowns. THEN, Jads nearly turns Angle with the leg lace.

As for Jads not running back to center mat, he was only giving his corner time to challenge those near scores. Finally Angle takes his one and only legit shot, in the last 30 seconds, and gets in on the legs, but can't turn the corner.

So 5 shots to two, but your logic is "winner is the guy who hustled back to the center" prevails over the clear aggressor in the overtime?

Watch it yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbRhrLgFpmM

Jadsarm_zps53682f23.gif

I was working the computers in 96 and unless I'm thinking of a different match the officials kept track of shots in ot and Angle had more. I think the opposite was true for the match as a whole.

In reading medicine man's response I should restate my response. To be honest, I couldn't remember who had more in OT versus the whole match. What I specifically recall was that the comparative shot counts were reversed in ot as opposed to the whole match or just the regulation match and that which ever way it was (and I'm currently thinking medicine man was correct) the refs counted shots for the way that was beneficial to Angle (as in that's the way the rules interpreters called for at that time rather than anything intentionally wrong). I saw more tick marks on the bout sheets for Angle than for Jadidi.

Everything in the above quoted post is complete nonsense.

You guys are once again, unsurprisingly, missing the entire point.

This has nothing to do with if Jadidi won in '93 (which he did) or whether Leipold won in '00 (which he did), it has to do with making up a "champion" on paper when in reality they weren't a champion where it mattered...on the mat.

The reason I mentioned Armstrong was because when they took away his TdF wins they left the winner's spot blank instead of artificially creating a "winner" by giving it to the next guy down the line.

Take the gold medal away, fine. Erase the winner from 1st place, fine. But don't insult our intelligence and pretend because a guy was moved up one position on paper that means he legitimately won. Because he didn't, it's just make believe on paper.