Best instructional video for set-ups

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shoot2win

shoot2win
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:37 AM

What is the best video (video series) out there for coaches that focuses on set-ups for takedowns?

#2 dsnc471

dsnc471

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

There are probably a ton of good ones out there that people can recommend. Ones I have come across that are excellent are as follows.

1. http://sergeibeloglazov.com/

You can purchase two DVD sets on this site. The first is re-mastered in DVD from original tapes made in the early 1990s when Sergei Beloglazov (6 World titles, 2 Olympic Golds) was an assistant at Lehigh. He only speaks Russian, and there is a guy interpreting (sort of) on sound-over, which might seem sketchy, but after about 30 seconds you realize that this doesn't matter at all, and this is a PHENOMENAL source of wrestling moves. Some of the best stuff out there if you pay attention to his details. On the website this is listed as "2005 DVDs", but it's the 1991 tapes copied. You can also purchase a DVD set that he made in 2006, where he is noticeably older but still able to demonstrate all his moves. He does many of the same moves in the 2006 and 1991 versions, but I would say the 1991 version is the gold standard and emphasizes takedowns 100 percent, whereas the 2006 videos do takedowns 75 percent and par terre for freestyle 25 percent. The main difference, aside from Sergei being 30 versus 50 years old, is that in the 2006 videos he speaks English very well and explains things. But as I said, the lack of English doesn't really affect the older videos usefulness, other than to say they wouldn't be too much fun for the average kid to watch. But for coaches it's great. These videos are not cheap, but they are excellent. Also, many of the techniques are very advanced and would not be appropriate for inexperienced wrestlers. However, there's enough on them that even if your wrestlers only used 5 percent of the technique shown, they would be in good shape. I would add that Sergei specializes in takedowns from tie-ups, like two on ones, underhooks, wrist control, etc, and not as much from open, so if you are looking for setups from wide open you might look elsewhere. But if you want tie-ups, this is what you want. I will say that if you search on youtube for these videos, it seems as though somebody has copied large portions of them (specifically the older videos). This is probably a copyright violation, and they might be removed, but if they are up you could check it out as a preview. But there's the legal/ethical issue of whether those should be posted, so I would still consider purchasing the videos if you like what you see.

2. http://russianwrestling.net/videos

These videos are excellent and are made by Vladimir Anoshenko and Miron Kharchilava. Not all of them cover takedowns, but several do. As with Sergei's videos, the emphasis is on setups from the tie, not from open. Most of what they show is in some way included in Sergei's videos, so if you could only get one set I would get Sergei's, but they do explain themselves well in these videos. Sergei basically blazes through hundreds of moves at breakneck speed and really has to be watched by coaches or advanced athletes who can distill the information. Miron and Vladimir's tapes are easy to understand by anyone, and are fun to watch.

3. John Smith-Setups and Tieups: Being effective from your feet

This video is pretty good, but only really covers the setup aspect and not at all the shot itself or the finish. He focuses mostly on his elbow control ties as setups, but does include some others. As usual, John explains everything really well and this video is informative and easy to watch.

#3 Big_Al

Big_Al
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

I am a big fan of the products from Championship Productions. I would recommend:

Mat Azevedo - Inside Tie Series
Jeff Swenson - 20 Set-ups for Single Leg Attacks
Tom Ryan - High Crotch and Single Leg Technique

That being said, I am going to go take a peak at the russian videos the previous poster mentioned :)

#4 Big_Al

Big_Al
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

I am a big fan of the products from Championship Productions. I would recommend:

That being said, I am going to go take a peak at the russian videos the previous poster mentioned :)

#5 Big_Al

Big_Al
  • Members
  • 15 posts

#6 Big_Al

Big_Al
  • Members
  • 15 posts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users