Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Taylor vs Dake Is On!!

We'll see if this is REALLY a go when the announcement is made (I'm on record as remaining skeptical), but assuming that it is going to happen, I'm surprised that no one has asked this yet: who is moving to which weight for the year? If you wrestle that weight in the all-star meet, aren't you certified at that weight for the year then?

I believe it. Dake doesn't shy away from anyone and I'm sure Taylor is aching for revenge. This is the kind of thing that is a dream for wrestling and fans. Let's promote this thing right! And get some more marquee match ups at other weights! Very exciting.

We'll see if this is REALLY a go when the announcement is made (I'm on record as remaining skeptical), but assuming that it is going to happen, I'm surprised that no one has asked this yet: who is moving to which weight for the year? If you wrestle that weight in the all-star meet, aren't you certified at that weight for the year then?

that was the rule for the first few years of the new certification rules 98-01 somewhere around 01-02 they adjusted it and you only had to follow the decent plan. this is how jantzen was able to go 157 for vegas and he got majored by tirapelle before returning for his title at 149.

Over / Under predictions for total points scored?

Will it be a Taylor-style wide open scoring bonanza? Or will it be a Dake-style calculated defensive domination?

Hard to imagine it being a scoring bonanza, because that's not how Dake wrestles, and after watching them tangle at the Olympic Trials, there's no way Taylor can wrestle his typical match. He just can't score that many points against Dake. It will be a close match, unless somebody ends up on his back, which is possible.

I'm surprised that no one has asked this yet: who is moving to which weight for the year? If you wrestle that weight in the all-star meet, aren't you certified at that weight for the year then?

If you weigh in above your certified lowest weight, you can go back down, but you can lose no more than 1.5 percent bodyweight per week. This is why some guys wrestling up will weigh in several pounds below the limit, so the math works out so they can go back down quicker. But let's say, for example, that Dake weighed in at 165.0 for this match with Taylor. It would take him 4 weeks before he could make weight at 157, per NCAA rule (actually just over 3 weeks, but they probably round up). Hard to imagine they would weigh in much lower than 165 though, or else Taylor might look terrible after the cut.

I'm surprised that no one has asked this yet: who is moving to which weight for the year? If you wrestle that weight in the all-star meet, aren't you certified at that weight for the year then?

If you weigh in above your certified lowest weight, you can go back down, but you can lose no more than 1.5 percent bodyweight per week. This is why some guys wrestling up will weigh in several pounds below the limit, so the math works out so they can go back down quicker. But let's say, for example, that Dake weighed in at 165.0 for this match with Taylor. It would take him 4 weeks before he could make weight at 157, per NCAA rule (actually just over 3 weeks, but they probably round up). Hard to imagine they would weigh in much lower than 165 though, or else Taylor might look terrible after the cut.

Depends on his initial alpha weight. That 1.5% rule is based off the initial certified weight, and does not reset in midseason. If I weigh in at 200 (yeah, right) at my preseason certification check, I can lose 3 pounds a week all season, whether I weigh in at 175, 180, or, say, 225 at any point during the season.

This is great news for fans. Now how about some other fun matchups like:

McDonough vs. Stieber

Defending champ and 3-time finalist vs. last season's phenom.

Perry vs. Bosak

Kilgore vs. Wright

Preview of finals?

Graff vs. Maple

Please suggest some others.

I dunno; the fact that this has been out there for about 24 hours, but still not confirmed leads me to think that there may still be some sticky point waiting for confirmation and/or adjudication? I sure hope it happens, but not holding my breath yet...

Dake is the man for having the balls to wrestle up a weight class at 165 for the fans!!!!! Also, give Taylor credit for probably going against Cael's wishes and making this happen. Boys becoming men for a good showing of sportsmanship....... Kudos to both these guys.

I believe it. Dake doesn't shy away from anyone and I'm sure Taylor is aching for revenge. This is the kind of thing that is a dream for wrestling and fans. Let's promote this thing right! And get some more marquee match ups at other weights! Very exciting.

I agree. VERY exciting. Match-ups like these, ones that generate real excitement, bring in casual sports fans. This is what wrestling needs. We need more Hammers meeting Anvils.

Wouldn't cornell be better with Eifert at 157, Dake at 165 and Peppleman at 174?

Peppelman is an ideal 165lber at this point. The last two years, he could have 157....imho. They tried him at 174 briefly last season and he came apart at the seams.

This is great for the sport, kudos to both guys for sacking up and getting after it. Even though Dake dominated Taylor I give a slight edge to Taylor simply because Dake's conditioning is historically not great in the beginning of the year.

Also will this be broadcast on AWFUL livesportsvideo again? I certainly hope not, for a site that you have to pay for it is terribly run and the stream is always shotty for me.