Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Taylor vs Dake Is On!!

Does anyone know if this is just a one time jump for Dake or will he go 165 this season? Everything that has been said this off-season has put him at 157 again. Either way, this will definitely spark a tremendous amount of interest among the wrestling community.

This is great for the sport, kudos to both guys for sacking up and getting after it. Even though Dake dominated Taylor I give a slight edge to Taylor simply because Dake's conditioning is historically not great in the beginning of the year.

Also will this be broadcast on AWFUL livesportsvideo again? I certainly hope not, for a site that you have to pay for it is terribly run and the stream is always shotty for me.

Oh god...watching this on a streaming format KILLS it. We need this on FOx sports or ESPNU or something. Big ten network...anything.

Kyle Dake is the man. He has literally nothing to gain from this match up. Props to Taylor, too, I'm not trying to take away from him, but I'm just saying...

Very true. If Dake wins this match, and then Taylor goes on to win NCAA 165, it may as well be 4 titles at 4 weights...

Does anyone know if this is just a one time jump for Dake or will he go 165 this season? Everything that has been said this off-season has put him at 157 again. Either way, this will definitely spark a tremendous amount of interest among the wrestling community.

Per that article, it is not the first time Dake has wrestled 165. But I think it will be the first time he weighed in over 157 for an event. I hope like hell this doesn't impact his weight certification if he allowed the full 165lbs 1hour before the event.

Regarding if he will stay at this weight. I am a little curious now. Maybe he is packing weight on. Maybe Koll wants to see how Dake does.

Lots of questions with no answers at this point.

Officially neither has anything to lose.

Unofficially, Dake has nothing to lose. If he wins he finds out if the 4 at 4 diff weights is a real possibility. If he loses, he was up a weight, in typical sub-par early season form. On the other hand Taylor has a lot to lose, even he wins by a slim margin. He'd have to smoke Dake to gain anything.

Unofficially, Dake has nothing to lose. If he wins he finds out if the 4 at 4 diff weights is a real possibility. If he loses, he was up a weight, in typical sub-par early season form. On the other hand Taylor has a lot to lose, even he wins by a slim margin. He'd have to smoke Dake to gain anything.

I disagree. Dake has already beaten Taylor and handily, and most fans not affiliated with Penn State or Ohio consider Dake the superior wrestler. If he wins, it confirms what most already believe. If he loses, the Penn State/Ohio crowd will be loudly trumpeting the result and Taylor's superiority, which will inevitably devolve into a "Freestyle vs. Folkstyle" debate that will take up every third thread.

I disagree. Dake has already beaten Taylor and handily, and most fans not affiliated with Penn State or Ohio consider Dake the superior wrestler. If he wins, it confirms what most already believe. If he loses, the Penn State/Ohio crowd will be loudly trumpeting the result and Taylor's superiority, which will inevitably devolve into a "Freestyle vs. Folkstyle" debate that will take up every third thread.

I disagree, and I actually think Taylor has more to lose here than Dake. Dake already has the luxury of a recent win over Taylor. So if Dake wins again, and this time in folkstyle, it would pretty much silence any debate on who is better, assuming the match didn't have any strange Hendricks-Churella-esque shenanigans. It would be two decisive wins in each style for Dake. Taylor fans could still argue that they like watching their guy more, but it would be hard to argue that Dake isn't better. However, if Taylor wins, it doesn't really silence much debate. You're right there will be thread after thread of freestyle versus folkstyle results, as well as threads about pre-season conditioning versus Olympic Trials conditioning, as well as many thread about how Dake is a weight class below. But a Taylor win won't decisively show he's better the way a Dake win would. And believe me, no wrestler wants to lose (especially not twice) to a guy at the weight class below. This puts a lot more pressure on Taylor than Dake, and so far it looks like Dake handles the pressure a bit better. It's a interesting match for sure.

Im pretty sure they will weigh in at the same weight class. They both have plenty of time to "get in shape". If they were going live in a high school wrestling room at the end of practice with nobody in the room they would be trying to kill each other. These 2 guys are competitors!! Will it decide who the better wrestler is? Maybe. They are both doing something that the NCAAs has rarely ever seen... if ever. Arguably 2 of the top 3 wrestlers in the country (RUUUUUTH).. Not in any order btw lol.... Enjoy!!!! And attend!!! One more thing....we need to get out of our "comfort" zones as well . Spend some of our beer money and put it in the gas tank and get there

Already got my ticket 09.

I give a lot of credit to Kyle Dake for moving up to Taylor's weight class. I do think he has something to gain here but more to lose.

Hatchet, you know where I stand. The trials match was an abberration, imo. DT put on an epic display in folk last season and I don't think Dake can hang with him. KD may get an early lead, as he is a fast starter and DT seems to give up some early takedowns, but no way will Taylor allow him to sit on the lead like the St. John match. By the third period, I see ALL David Taylor.......btw, saying I wouldn't bet against Kyle Dake isn't exactely a prediction. Are you predicting a win for KD?

To those of you that say DT cracks under pressure, LOL!!!! Yes, two out of contention wrestlers in a consolation match of the challenge bracket at the trials is much more pressure then the NCAA finals or the Big Ten Finals or the Southern Scuffle Finals or Fargo Finals. These comments are absurd and deserve one more LOL!

This match is great for wrestling. Way to go wrestlers and coaches that made this happen!

You know, since these guys were little, they always seemed to step up and challenge themselves to wrestle the very best. In sport, there never seems to be enough of this attitude. Whether it's the coaches or the athletes avoiding competition to protect their records or reputations. Win or lose, both these kids deserve credit.

Regarding wrestling the match at 165, Taylor is probably pretty close to weight at 165 normally and Dake is kinda big for 157 normally. My guess is at this early point in the season, it's easier and makes more sense for Dake to wrestle up and not have to cut the weight. But that is just my uneducated guess.

My wife and I got our tickets last night. We can't wait for this and the other matches as well. What a great way to kick off the season.

Cheers.

The more that the match is built up is a positive for Dake and a negative for Taylor. Their skills are very close, but Dake appears to rise to the occasion while Taylor seems to (I hate to say it, kind of harsh) choke.

A kid who is 70-1 in his NCAA career with 1 Title, 1 2nd place, and a Hodge trophy...not to mention coming off one of the most dominating NCAA performances in history...seems to choke?

That comment is nonsense. He lost a match in the finals as a freshman by getting hit with a dirty cradle...it doesn't mean he has a tendency to choke...get real.

Back to the match at hand...it will be great. I think it comes down to who can control the pace. If Dake can neutralize Taylor's explosive scoring ability..that is how he wins. If Taylor can amp up the pace and break through Dake's impenetrable defense...that's how he wins.

The higher the score, the more likely Taylor comes out on top. Im hoping for, and predicting, a score in the ballpark of 9-6 / 9-7 / 10-8...Taylor on top.

I'm just wondering who's going to be eating that crow. You guys know my stance on this one.

I am already eating crow. I am astonished David Taylor gave an interview that he'd dip down to 157 to wrestle Dake. Yet Dake has to go up?

It will be 2 lbs heavier than his trials weight at which he A) destroyed Taylor at this year and B) almost beat Howe at two whole years ago.

For a match in early November Dake may be better off in the 3rd period when he isn't suffering the cut.

When the Hell has DT choked. One Inside cradle pin in the finals his freshman year. In high school, he went up a weight to challenge 4 time state champ Palmer, and won in a completely packed and amped Gym. It was like a movie I swear. THE BEST I HAVE SEEN IN ANY SPORT AT ANY LEVEL. I'd kill to go back to that match. It was like Vision Quest but real. Not saying he will beat Dake, but to call him a choker? YOU are just wrong. And the PSU coaches will really work on DT for this match, not that Koll won't. I call it the proverbial toss-up. The freestyle thing didn't mean that much to me. A little of course, but not really.

Taylor didn't choke when he lost to Bubba & he won't have choked when he loses to Dake at the All Star meet.

I know a lot of people want to totally discount the freestyle result, but it was so decisive that you gotta' go with Dake, IMHO.

That's not to say upsets don't happen. Dake has been known to lose.

The first 1-2 minutes of the match will be critical for Taylor. He can't let Dake set the tone like in their previous match. At the Trials, Dake physically manhandled him in the first minute and Taylor was not the same after.

To say that Taylor chokes is laughable. However, what does stymie his wrestling is if his opponent has the rare combination of strength and technique to impose his will on Taylor and push him around and beat him up a little bit. For the most part guys like that don't exist in college at Taylor's weight. But Dake is one such guy, and so is Andrew Howe. Actually the Howe match from the Olympic Trials shows this perhaps even better than the Dake match. Taylor's match against Howe was much earlier in the day, so unlikely that Taylor was fatigued, but by minute 3 of Howe manhandling him (Taylor spent the first 2 minutes looking down at the mat unable to get his head away from Howe), Taylor had the same look on his face that his opponent's usually do......a look of defeat. Slow to get up from the mat, and quick to concede points. It's not exactly a blueprint to beat Taylor, because so few guys can actually do this. But Dake did it once, and Taylor better be ready off the whistle or it could happen again. Dake isn't undefeated though, and the OTT was only one match, so Taylor is most definitely still in this match.