Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Taylor vs Dake Is On!!

There is not much I (or anyone) can guarantee in this match. It could be 3-1 final...it could be 13-10...or any range in between. Either guy could win, and it would not be surprising to anyone.

What I will guarantee however, Taylor will not be manhandled (they way he seeming was at the OTT). This is not a freestyle match, and weather you want to admit it or not that makes a distinct difference. There will be no beatdown one way or the other (excluding a quick/slick pin...say when the score is something like 1-1...for this instance I do not consider that to be manhandled)

And before anyone gets all uppity, let me be clear...I am not saying that losing a close match (not getting manhandled) is some kind of a moral victory for Taylor, or his supporters. I am simply illustrating that this will not be anything like the Trials match...and that is about as certain a prediction as anyone can make here.

What I will guarantee however, Taylor will not be manhandled (they way he seeming was at the OTT). This is not a freestyle match, and weather you want to admit it or not that makes a distinct difference.

I doubt it will be a manhandling either, but I would be very reluctant to make absolute statements like this, because you're setting yourself up for some major crow dining should it turn out the other way. And there was nothing freestyle specific about the way Howe manhandled him. I know Dake isn't Howe, but all I'm saying is we can't be 100 percent sure that Taylor won't get pushed around.

What I will guarantee however, Taylor will not be manhandled (they way he seeming was at the OTT). This is not a freestyle match, and weather you want to admit it or not that makes a distinct difference.

I doubt it will be a manhandling either, but I would be very reluctant to make absolute statements like this, because you're setting yourself up for some major crow dining should it turn out the other way. And there was nothing freestyle specific about the way Howe manhandled him. I know Dake isn't Howe, but all I'm saying is we can't be 100 percent sure that Taylor won't get pushed around.

I think it is totally fair to say what I said, and with a very high degree of confidence. Simply put, elite wrestlers at this level just do not get dominated.

I had this argument a while back (I forget with who). A top level (and I mean top level as in Multiple NCAA title caliber) wrestler is much, much more likely to get pinned than to get teched or even majored. It just does not happen...I literally can not realistically see a way that Taylor gets thrown all over the mat and dominated...especially given Dake's style in Folk.

Simply put, elite wrestlers at this level just do not get dominated.

What the heck are you talking about? It happens all the time, including twice just last year to David Taylor. Metcalf was dominated by Caldwell in 2009. Amuchastegui was dominated by Ruth last year in the finals. Good wrestlers get dominated by better wrestlers all the time.

I think it is totally fair to say what I said, and with a very high degree of confidence. Simply put, elite wrestlers at this level just do not get dominated.

Yeah... Just ask Frank the Tank! ;)

I think it was established on this forum, that Frank Molinaro was a just a very good wrestler.

What the heck are you talking about? It happens all the time, including twice just last year to David Taylor. Metcalf was dominated by Caldwell in 2009. Amuchastegui was dominated by Ruth last year in the finals. Good wrestlers get dominated by better wrestlers all the time.

I tried to qualify my statement to address these perceived instances...apparently I wasn't clear enough . Frank and Amuch are not on the level I was really addressing. Also, freestyle results were thrown out because 1. this is a folkstyle discussion...that should be easy to understand, and 2. that horse has been beaten to death.

Metcalf being dominated the way Caldwell did was not exactly the way I was talking about. Caldwell controlled the match, no question. but he won by 4 points...It should be obvious that I wasnt speaking about that kind of "domination"

I take back every unkind thing I've ever said about the NWCA and the All-Star event. They really are doing it right this year. This "exhibition" allows for risks like this that may otherwise never see the light of day in a championship sanctioned event. I know Dake and Taylor will be fighting for pride and respect and give it all they've got to win their matchup.

SIMPLY AWESOME!

I tried to qualify my statement to address these perceived instances...apparently I wasn't clear enough . Frank and Amuch are not on the level I was really addressing. Also, freestyle results were thrown out because 1. this is a folkstyle discussion...that should be easy to understand, and 2. that horse has been beaten to death.

Metcalf being dominated the way Caldwell did was not exactly the way I was talking about. Caldwell controlled the match, no question. but he won by 4 points...It should be obvious that I wasnt speaking about that kind of "domination"

Well what kind of domination are you talking about then? Taylor against Hatchett from the finals last year? You won't see that hardly ever among elite wrestlers. And not to change the subject from Dake too much, but if we are throwing out all freestyle results, how do you think Taylor would do against Howe in folkstyle. After watching their freestyle match, I wouldn't be prepared to throw out that result.

Elite wrestlers occasionally get dominated because they run into someone whose style confounds them. Extreme example but think of McDonough v Robles. McDonough had no clue how to handle this matchup. Ben Kjar gave Robles a much tougher match and no one thinks Kjar is better than McDonough.

Should Kyle Dake wrestle at 165 this season and win it (which I think he would), it would be the most impressive college career I've witnessed.

What Cael Sanderson acheived was incredible and likely won't be repeated.

Dake's winning 3 at 3 different weight classes has been unbelievable. Winning 4 in 3 would be one of the top 3 accomplishments (Smith doing what none had done before - by winning 4, Cael by doing what none had done before in going undeafeated over 4 varsity seasons and Dake if he wins again doing it without a red/grey shirt).

But 4 at 4 different weights? Amazing doesn't come close to a definition.

What I will guarantee

Everyone gets dominated sometime.

Ask Denis Tsargush how he feels about what Borroughs did to him.

Top of the world to getting bulled off the mat twice in two tries.

John Smith has done some dominating in his day and so has Cael. They have dominated other "greats" in the sport as well.

Even at this high level, sometimes a beatdown could be possible.

This match will be the greatest disappointment of the year. It is too hyped and these guys are too good, which will result in a typical snooze fest.

I can't picture Taylor in a snooze fest.

That is because besides Bubba, no one has been able to slow him down on his feet.

I don't see him throwing ankle picks on Dake's stance and he got taken down when he

shot at the OTT.

If Dake has his way, it will be a snooze fest by DT Fan's Standards.

Elite wrestlers occasionally get dominated because they run into someone whose style confounds them. Extreme example but think of McDonough v Robles. McDonough had no clue how to handle this matchup. Ben Kjar gave Robles a much tougher match and no one thinks Kjar is better than McDonough.

There are many examples.

Some guys are on, some are off and the occasion makes the performance.

Elite level guys are no different than anyone else, they can be owned on an off day.

Big ups to both athletes. Great for the sport and a ton of drama.

I like dakes chances. He's a special breed. Here's a guy who has won three titles but instead of resting on his laurels he's out there training with Burroughs and the other Olympians. He put in some time this summer. His one issue may be conditioning. But he's a gamer and when it's on the line it's hard to bet against the kid.

Should Kyle Dake wrestle at 165 this season and win it (which I think he would), it would be the most impressive college career I've witnessed.

What would make it even more impressive, should it happen, would be if he had to go through Taylor in the finals. After Cael's sophomore year, when he did it again (repeat undefeated season), everybody knew he had a good chance of going undefeated and there really wasn't anyone on the horizon who could challenge him. Trenge was good, but nobody thought he was going to beat Cael. But with Taylor, plenty of people think he would beat Dake. So if Dake beat him en route to title number 4, it would be pretty amazing.

Kudos to both of these athletes!

Either one of them could have easily avoided this match-up, but they're doing it for the fans! This is great to see. Regardless of who wins, they are both monster talents in my book, and great people for being willing to promote the sport in this way.

Great work fellas!