Sign in to follow this  
leshismore

Buckeyes Prep for Season with Annual Wrestle Offs

Is this OS line up?

Buckeyes Prep for Season with Annual Wrestle Offs

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State wrestling team, ranked 11th in the preseason InterMat polls, held its annual wrestle offs Thursday night in French Field House. The Buckeye season and home opener is Nov. 15 vs. Notre Dame College in St. John Arena.

At 125 pounds, freshman Nathan Tomasello was an 8-3 winner over Nick Roberts, a redshirt freshman, while in the 133-pound bout Johnni DiJulius, who is in his redshirt-sophomore season beat classmate Kyle Visconti, 2-0. Moving up a weight class to 141 pounds, redshirt junior and No. 1 ranked Logan Stieber pinned Jarrod Boone, a junior, in 2:56. Twelfth- ranked senior Ian Paddock pinned freshman Jake Donatelli in the first period in the 149-pound matchup. Moving on to the 157-pound contest, redshirt junior Randy Languis was a 5-2 victor over redshirt freshman Justin Kresevic. Freshman and 2013 Junior Hodge Trophy winner Bo Jordan scored 17 points in his 17-2 win over redshirt sophomore Craig Thomas at 165 pounds. Sophomore Mark Martin scored double-digit points in a 15-4 victory vs. junior Matt O'Hara in the 174-pound bout. Ranked No. 12 in the nation, redshirt sophomore Kenny Courts recorded a 20-5 technical fall (6:46) over redshirt freshman Josh Fox. Jumping to 197 pounds, senior and sixth-ranked Nick Heflin edged junior Ray Gordon, 1-0. In the final match of the evening, redshirt freshman Nick Tavanello won, 3-1, vs. redshirt junior Kosta Karageorge.

tOSU lineup looks to be in a bit of a mess. Apparent starter Roberts loses decisively to Tomasello; DiJulius wins close over Visconti, who hasn't done much. Languis, up two weights, beats Kresevic--who goes where? Up to 165, if Jordan doesn't start? Looks like Thomas tried to drop with Martin at 174, but it is not promising. Heflin, at his new weight, wins 1-0 against a guy who has never had a winning record.

tOSU lineup looks to be in a bit of a mess. Apparent starter Roberts loses decisively to Tomasello; DiJulius wins close over Visconti, who hasn't done much. Languis, up two weights, beats Kresevic--who goes where? Up to 165, if Jordan doesn't start? Looks like Thomas tried to drop with Martin at 174, but it is not promising. Heflin, at his new weight, wins 1-0 against a guy who has never had a winning record.

....... and not to mention the stat girl missed a couple takedowns, and the trainer used way too much pre-wrap on Courts ankle..........

Will tOSU red shirt either Tomosello @ 125 or Jordan @ 165?

Bucks strategy for this season is to redshirt Bo Jordan, Nate Tomasello and Hunter Stieber. What's hurting Bucks a lot is injuries to Derek Garcia (career ending) and Josh Demas. Insert them at 157 and 165 and this is still a pretty good team. Add in that Campolattano and Tessari are gone and that's four huge recruits that are not competing this year. Demas is only one that will probably be back at some point.

Bo Jordan would be potentially a top five guy at 165 right now. Tomasello probably needs a year to adjust. The redshirting is a good idea but Bucks will not have a great squad this year. Tourney potential outside of Logan is a big question mark as well. Heflin at 197 is not a sure thing. Paddock a tough 149 but he has been injury prone throughout his career. Courts had some nice wins last year up at 197. DiJulius? Martin? Tavanello? Roberts?

No big shockers with the wrestleoffs. Ya this season will be a bit of a down one for the Bucks. Preseason poll of 11th was generous, and that was calculated with Demas being in the lineup. With him out i c them around 14-15th. No reason to thrust Tomasello into the lineup, the team wont be that much better off with him vs Roberts at 125. He likely wins a few more matches but an AA placing is a bit of a reach for him as a true frosh.

Best chance AA candidates are Heflin, Courts and Paddock. Though i believe those 3 are def good enough to AA, they all could just as easily be DNP's.

Oh and that Stieber guy will do ok too :)

I'm a big fan of the local boy Nick Roberts. My hopes are for him to be able to break into the lineup there although I never was quite sure he could be successful at the D1 level. He's just a redshirt freshman so still early to know what he can do there. If things don't work out for him at Ohio State though, DII UPJ could be a viable option for him. Close to his hometown, a great wrestling program and some nice clubs nearby to continue training freestyle which in my opinion is his bread and butter style..

Will tOSU red shirt either Tomosello @ 125 or Jordan @ 165?

Bucks strategy for this season is to redshirt Bo Jordan, Nate Tomasello and Hunter Stieber. What's hurting Bucks a lot is injuries to Derek Garcia (career ending) and Josh Demas. Insert them at 157 and 165 and this is still a pretty good team. Add in that Campolattano and Tessari are gone and that's four huge recruits that are not competing this year. Demas is only one that will probably be back at some point.

Bo Jordan would be potentially a top five guy at 165 right now. Tomasello probably needs a year to adjust. The redshirting is a good idea but Bucks will not have a great squad this year. Tourney potential outside of Logan is a big question mark as well. Heflin at 197 is not a sure thing. Paddock a tough 149 but he has been injury prone throughout his career. Courts had some nice wins last year up at 197. DiJulius? Martin? Tavanello? Roberts?

It just shows us how hard it is to get a whole, and healthy team "up and running" with 9.9 .... Jeez. remember when (a year or two ago) we were thinking tOSU was going to push for the NCAA Title. A couple injuries, and other issues can derail a Title run in a heartbeat.

Wire: Agree with what you say but Bucks are choosing to take a step back before making a big title push.

2014-15 Tentative lineup with my admittedly biased opinions

125: Tomasello--redshirt frosh--AA candidate

133: DiJulius--redshirt junior--outside AA candidate

141: Logan--senior--Title contender

149: Hunter--redshirt junior--Title contender

157: Demas--senior--AA candidate

165: Bo Jordan--redshirt frosh--AA candidate.

174: Martin--junior--outside AA candidate

184: Courts--junior--AA candidate

197: Kyle Snyder--frosh--AA candidate

Hvy: Tavanello/Haines--soph/frosh--outside AA candidate

That's a very good lineup and one that should have more depth with the arrival of Micah Jordan, Jake Ryan, Ryan Harris and a few other promising frosh. Wouldn't be a shock to see Bucks add one more stud frosh to current recruiting class either. Can this squad win a national title? Possibly. If Snyder and BoJo can emerge as title contenders, the up top strength will be daunting. Of course, this assumes all goes well and that current group of Bucks stay involved, healthy and motivated--something that has not always happened under Coach Ryan or his predecessor, Russ Hellickson. That's the biggest concern--keeping all the key people on board and building this thing the right way moving forward.

Wire: Agree with what you say but Bucks are choosing to take a step back before making a big title push.

2014-15 Tentative lineup with my admittedly biased opinions

125: Tomasello--redshirt frosh--AA candidate

133: DiJulius--redshirt junior--outside AA candidate

141: Logan--senior--Title contender

149: Hunter--redshirt junior--Title contender

157: Demas--senior--AA candidate

165: Bo Jordan--redshirt frosh--AA candidate.

174: Martin--junior--outside AA candidate

184: Courts--junior--AA candidate

197: Kyle Snyder--frosh--AA candidate

Hvy: Tavanello/Haines--soph/frosh--outside AA candidate

That's a very good lineup and one that should have more depth with the arrival of Micah Jordan, Jake Ryan, Ryan Harris and a few other promising frosh. Wouldn't be a shock to see Bucks add one more stud frosh to current recruiting class either. Can this squad win a national title? Possibly. If Snyder and BoJo can emerge as title contenders, the up top strength will be daunting. Of course, this assumes all goes well and that current group of Bucks stay involved, healthy and motivated--something that has not always happened under Coach Ryan or his predecessor, Russ Hellickson. That's the biggest concern--keeping all the key people on board and building this thing the right way moving forward.

This team reminds me of Sanderson's first team at Penn State when he redshirted Q, Taylor and Ruth. 9th place finish instead of probable top 5 but it set the table for their current run. Tomasello, H. Sieber, Jordan and Snyder is going to be a serious influx of talent next season and they very well may be the favorites.

On a side note, I do have some reservations about Jordan. I have seen some big predictions from some of the OSU contingent but until I see some college results, I'm taking a wait and see approach on him, at least in regard to some of those Stieber/Taylor like comparisons.

I think the 2014-2015 championship will definitely be the most interesting race in years. PSU and Minn will come back down to earth a bit. Iowa and Okie State will lose a couple, but will reload in many ways. tOSU obviously will be stacked and then you'll have Nebraska, V-Tech, Cornell, NW and Illinois trying to close the gap with a mix of studs and young talent. Teams that have struggled such as Michigan, Wisconsin, Lehigh, UNI and Iowa State should be wrestling without glaring holes as well. Good year for the sport.

I think the 2014-2015 championship will definitely be the most interesting race in years. PSU and Minn will come back down to earth a bit. Iowa and Okie State will lose a couple, but will reload in many ways. tOSU obviously will be stacked and then you'll have Nebraska, V-Tech, Cornell, NW and Illinois trying to close the gap with a mix of studs and young talent. Teams that have struggled such as Michigan, Wisconsin, Lehigh, UNI and Iowa State should be wrestling without glaring holes as well. Good year for the sport.
Penn St. loses the big guns, but they have done a nice job of recruiting...They will have:

125 Mega

133 Gullibon

141Retherford

149 Alton

158 Alton

165 Marstellar,

174 Brown

184 ?

197 Mcintosh

HVT Lawson or Nevills

That's some pretty serious fire power still in the line up!