Sign in to follow this  
ideamark

What NCAA hwt champs 1928-60 weighed: Photos & facts

How much does a college heavyweight wrestler actually weigh?

Nowadays, competitors must tip the scales somewhere between 197 and 285 pounds. (The official name of the weight class is 285.)

In the first three decades of NCAA wrestling championships, the top weight class was called unlimited… because there was no upper weight limit. At least one big man who won a title between 1928 and 1960 weighed approximately 300 pounds!

That said, most college heavyweight champs of that era weighed in at less than 245 pounds, with a good number coming in between 210 and 220.

In a separate photo-album, College Wrestling Examiner posted the actual weights of the NCAA Division I heavyweight champs since 2000. Now, let’s go old-school… and take a look at the best big men of college wrestling to see what they weighed back in the day.

To see the photos of the champs, how much they weighed, and other fun facts... http://www.examiner.com/list/what-ncaa- ... -1928-1960

^^The biggest hwt I ever saw wrestle back in the 1950's was Bob Marella for Ithaca College. He wrestled for Ithaca in the late 1950's. When Marella wrestled in Thomas Field House in Lock Haven, in a dual meet between LHSTC and Ithaca College, I think he weighed 405.

The biggest hwt I ever saw wrestle in college was Emmanuel Yarbrough, who wrestled for Morgan State (in Baltimore). Yarbrough was so massive, he had his own zip code. Yarborough was incredible huge. I saw Yarbrough on TV one time, after his college career, and he was doing sumo at about 700 (?) pounds.

^^The biggest hwt I ever saw wrestle back in the 1950's was Bob Marella for Ithaca College. He wrestled for Ithaca in the late 1950's. When Marella wrestled in Thomas Field House in Lock Haven, in a dual meet between LHSTC and Ithaca College, I think he weighed 405.

The biggest hwt I ever saw wrestle in college was Emmanuel Yarbrough, who wrestled for Morgan State (in Baltimore). Yarbrough was so massive, he had his own zip code. Yarborough was incredible huge. I saw Yarbrough on TV one time, after his college career, and he was doing sumo at about 700 (?) pounds.

Interesting he said once when asked what the heaviest he ever wrestled at was he said 440. But still claimed he had the endurance to go for an hour or more.

Once you saw Chris Taylor, every other HWT seemed thin. Off the mat, he was a truly gentle giant.

When ISU and Chris came to Seattle, the UW put 3 chairs down for him. He sat in the middle chair, and overflowed onto the other two on each side. Our HVY who was a very small HVY, had to NOT get pinned for the Huskies to win the dual. He in fact did that, and the UW won.... .