Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

wrestlers at UFC 166

Cain Velasquez beat Junior Dos Santos by TKO. This is Cain's second straight lopsided victory over Dos Santos. Until he met Cain, Dos Santos was dominant in the UFC's heavyweight division. Cain is now one of the best UFC heavyweights of all time.

Daniel Cormier beat Roy Nelson pretty soundly. DC has faced a series of big names (Nelson, Mir, Barnett, Silva), and remains undefeated. DC is friends and training partners with Cain, so they will not fight, meaning DC will not fight for the heavyweight belt as long as Cain is champ. DC is reportedly eying a move to 205.

ASU's CB Dollaway lost to Tim Boetsche. Boetsche had some eye problems during the fight. Not a good fight.

So the guy who nearly died making 211 is thinking about going 205?

Yep. As long as he is smart about it, he could make 205 easily but if he acts stupid like in 2008 then he'll be screwed. He weighed in at 224 friday night for his fight yesterday, so 205 is certainly not out of the realm of possibility especially since he would have to make weight less times in a year in the ufc than he did in international competition. He would fight 2-3 times a year as opposed to probably making weight at tournaments 10+ times a year.

I thought Cormier would die making 205 also, but if he's weighing in the 220s now its definitely possible. Just depends on how disciplined he is and how his body reacts to the cutting. Mind you if he can trim off, say, 10 more lbs than the last little bit won't require that much dehydration at all. Cain Velasquez is an animal, what a savage beating that was.

cormier is awesome. he's got an incredible career and im rooting for him to continue to do well in his UFC fights. missing weight at the olympics is unfortunate but im sure cormier wasn't happy about it either. the person affected the most is whoever was second on the ladder in the US, and if whoever that is has gotten over it then everyone else needs to move on too.

IMO cormier wrecking people in MMA is nothing but good for the sport of wrestling.

I think he should forget friendship and stay at HW to go after the title. Hasn't he ever had to wrestle a friend before? Did he not wrestle teammates in live wrestling every day during his wrestling days? I know they can't go live in MMA, but I would imagine that he has grappled live with Cain. Turn the switch on when you step in the cage, and turn it off when you step out and be friends again.

Cain Velasquez beat Junior Dos Santos by TKO. This is Cain's second straight lopsided victory over Dos Santos. Until he met Cain, Dos Santos was dominant in the UFC's heavyweight division. Cain is now one of the best UFC heavyweights of all time.

Daniel Cormier beat Roy Nelson pretty soundly. DC has faced a series of big names (Nelson, Mir, Barnett, Silva), and remains undefeated. DC is friends and training partners with Cain, so they will not fight, meaning DC will not fight for the heavyweight belt as long as Cain is champ. DC is reportedly eying a move to 205.

ASU's CB Dollaway lost to Tim Boetsche. Boetsche had some eye problems during the fight. Not a good fight.

Boetsche wrestled at Lock Haven.

Cormier made a big mistake with his weight cutting fiasco, but that was a long time ago. He's moved on and is a good ambassador for wrestling now, ne mistake should not have to haunt an athlete for live. I wish Cormier would fight Cain, but I get that an MMA fight is different than a wrestling match. Cormier used to wrestle his buddy Mo Lawal in tournaments. However, cutting someone up the way Velasquez did to Dos Santos might be harder to do to someone you are close to.