Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Ugi Eligibility? (The Citadel)

Anyone "in the know" on whether or not the fight for the Citadel wrestler's eligibility is making any headway? From what I have read of his situation I can't believe the NCAA will not at the very least allow him another year to compete!

I talked to the Citadel coach after last year's NCAA tournament. Ugi's expenses for training with the Mongolian Greco world team were paid for him by the wrestling body in Mongolia. The NCAA is requiring him to pay back those funds in order to get the additional year of eligibility. Citadel will have a Mongolian at 285 this year, quite a pipeiine.

The Citadel wrestling site has not updated their roster as it is still listing the 2012-2013 roster. With another year to train in folkstyle he has a real shot at being a finalist and I would hate to see that stopped over something so trivial.

i dont see having expenses covered to compete internationally in greco the same as being paid to wrestle. its juts like being on a scholarship. its certainly not being paid to wrestle folkstyle, which is what the real moral hazard is.

you can play pro baseball and maintain ncaa eligibility in other sports. i dont see this being as being much different.

MAYBE if Ugi was making a real living wrestling in Mongolia then i could see the NCAA point, but this just looks like fastidious over regulation. it would be a real shame for the NCAA and the US wrestling community if Ugi's college career had to end over this.

Getting his expenses covered for a season is why he lost a season. If he were pro, he wouldn't have been eligible in the first place.

Hopefully he can come up with the money.

The NCAA is treating it like he burned a year while on the national team.

Getting his expenses covered for a season is why he lost a season. If he were pro, he wouldn't have been eligible in the first place.

Hopefully he can come up with the money.

The NCAA is treating it like he burned a year while on the national team.

ok, that makes more sense. what about the other 2 years? didnt he only compete the 1 year?

Do the club teams that are associated with universities do fundraising and help pay for expenses for kids wrestling in their club? i.e.....does the Hawkeye wrestling club help with expenses for their wrestlers to go to tournaments?

The NCAA looks at being on a foreign national team differently than being on Team USA.

That keeps post Olympic foreign athletes from tearing up the NCAAs in Olympic sports.

At one time, Div II &III could use post Olympic athletes but I believe the rules have been changed

If the rule did not exist, coaches would be recruiting the world championships instead of state championships

I also believe that after a certain age, Foreign world team membership starts the eligibility clock