Sign in to follow this  
BRGuy

no singlets?

yes. and everyone caught and broke their fingers in all the lose clothing. also there was all sorts of problems with grips and locks, depending on what type of material, if any, was worn on the upper body.

oh nevermind, there was none of that.

im pretty pumped for what the ACW can potentially bring to the table. without so much hallowed tradition and ceremony to stand on, all sorts of changes and adjustments to improve the sport are possible. changing the smallest thing in the NCAAs or FILA takes about a decade of committees and reams of disgruntled fan complaints. there is still a long way to go and i dont want to put too much stock in the first test event, but a viable alternative to the established wrestling institutions will go along way to dragging this sport out of the stone age.

I liked seeing the various types of uniforms at Tour ACW.

People wrestled for thousands of years not wearing a singlet... until about 45-50 years ago.

One of the most amazing transformations I've seen in the past decade is changing attitudes about uniforms. I remember the complaining about RealProWrestling having competitors wear trunks, no shirts... nevermind that guys like Dan Hodge wrestled that way in HS and college until the NCAA banned shirtless wrestling in the mid 1960s. Now, thanks to MMA, wrestling fans seem to be more accepting of uniform alternatives to singlets.

Here's an article I wrote for InterMat about old-school wrestling gear, and how it affected wrestler strategy:

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/3996

Mark

People did wear singlets at Tour ACW.

For instance Garnett who wrestled the caveman wore one.

So did Marable and Borshel, so did Cam Simaz and Derek Winn, etc, etc.

Singlets perform their function better than anything else and shouldn't go anywhere. With the except of POSSIBLY middle school or elementary competitions to remove the "kids are too self conscious to wrestle in a singlet" argument.

With that said I do think there should be other options. But shorts and no shirt is hard to put up against singlet when sweat can make you slip off your opponent easier deep into a match.

I don't really care what people wear to wrestle. I watched a couple of the finals matches and thought they were a lot of fun. If this becomes more of a mainstream/spectator thing they might need to do something to decrease match length (more aggressive stalling calls?) When you get a guy like Marable, who is very good but not terribly aggressive, you get really long matches. I was also impressed by how well Borschell wrestled considering he's been away from competition for a while.