Sign in to follow this  
DF

Varner: another member of the "one and done" club?

I guess I'll finally say what everybody has been thinking since the olympics: he wouldn't have won if Yazdani hadn't gotten injured.

It's true even if you don't want to admit it. Which of course most of you won't admit.

Look up the match where he wrestled Yazdani shortly before the olympics, he got beaten...badly.

Yazdani got hurt in the semis, so he got to go against some random dude in the olympic finals I'd never heard of before (or since).

Then soon after the olympics Varner lost to some American wrestler I'd also never heard of before either. An olympic champ shouldn't be losing to a domestic guy.

People keep saying he's "taking some time off", blah, blah, blah...but we know what's up. Same way they said Cejudo/Slay/Cael were "just taking some time off" after the olympics. Once a guy is said to be "taking some time off" that really means he's retiring.

Only guys like Burroughs who keep going stay competitive.

By the way, this isn't a knock against Mr. Varner himself, as I've met him and he's a super nice guy. It's more about our best wrestlers not staying competitive once they get a gold. It's like they're not even in the sport because they enjoy it, but only to get a gold.

We need more guys like Burroughs. He didn't win one gold and then just rest on his laurels. He keeps going, and winning.

I agree with you on Cejudo, Varner, Slay and I will even throw in Zadick. Varner did win a bronze the year before so he really is not like the others either. But Cael could have won against anyone. 7time champ Gatsalov in his prime was an even match for Cael. I would be a proud 1 timer! I still think Varner might return. Yazdani is a freakin animal. Yazdani is your champ if all the weights are combined. No shame in losing to Yazdani even for an Olympic champ! I would like to see Cael wrestle Yazdani in a AGON type event!

Zadick wrestled for a couple of years after he won his world title (was injured one year and lost to Schwab for the Olympic trials I think) and was pretty old when he hung them up. The others fit the bill. DF is beating a dead horse with this post but that doesn't make him wrong. This isn't just an American thing; wrestlers from other countries either retire after the Olympics or else take significant time off (Asgarov, Muradov, the 96 kg Murtazaliev, and so on). However the US doesn't have the depth of, say, Russia, so the absence of a former chanpion is very noticable.

Amen to the Sanderson/Yazdani AGON suggestion. I wanted Yazdani vs Gatsalov (with Burroughs vs Aldatov as the co-main event) but what you suggest would be great as well.

It's really not a surprise. In the US, wrestlers can and often do have better earning prospects as non-wrestlers, even if they are world or Olympic champions. You mentioned Cael. If you look at what Cael's earning right now, it's really not hard to figure out why he focused on coaching after to 2004 Olympics.

Smith and Burroughs could/can earn enough with wrestling and endorsements, but I suspect everyone else who had extended careers gave up a lot of money to do so. Guys like Baumgartner and Schultz come to mind, and they are the exception.

Now you see guys going into MMA. Why? MMA pays. As a matter of fact, four of the seven guys on our 2008 Olympic freestyle team are currently pursuing MMA: Cejudo, Askren, Cormier, and Mocco.

Well hopefully Varner will be back, but if he doesn't have the fire in his belly he might as well not come back. I am sure that he has been training very hard throughout his college and high school career. Also he has been on the international scene for awhile now, all the while continuing this hard training. He competed at the 2009 Worlds and went 2 and 1. Then lost to J.D. In 2010. Then in 2011 wins a Bronze and in 2012 wins the Gold. So he really isn't a "one and done." But I think he has a baby or two, at home, so I think it's a combination of of family and years of training, plus he has reached the pinnacle of success all lead to the situation were faced with. Which is, there is Varner and the a vacuum behind him. Yes there is lots of guy like Michalak, Bergman, Kilgore and others out there but until they show that they can do it on the Big stage were going to be wishing for Jake to make a return. Hopefully Snyder, (our Jr. World Champ) will turn out be a force to be reckoned with in the near future.

But I think he has a baby or two, at home, so I think it's a combination of of family and years of training, plus he has reached the pinnacle of success all lead to the situation were faced with.

Someone from Bakersfield compromised his career by having multiple kids in his early-mid 20s?