Sign in to follow this  
gmdband

Why did Ed Ruth withdraw from the All-Star Match?

Anyone have the inside story? I just read about it and he is being replaced by Swartz from Boise St.

I suspect this is the 1st time the State of Washington has had 2 guys in this event.

I wonder why Ruth has declined ... Not once.. but each time he has been invited..

My understanding is that he didn't decline the initial invitation, otherwise Swartz wouldn't have been "replacing" anyone.

Ruth must have accepted, and then either been unable to go or decided it wasn't in his best interest later on. Injury seems like the most likely suspect, although thats purely speculation on my part

That's odd that you would get a "no comment" response. It almost sounds hostile if not rude. I would think it would be an honor to be invited to the All-Star event and at least would merit a gracious response (even if it was to turn it down). There must be something more to this story.

The All Star match is sponsored by the National Coaches Association. If the D1 coaches are not going to support their own association fundraising event by demanding their top ranked wrestlers attend, why should we the public support the coaches? The next time some athletic director or president wants to drop a D1 program the coaches will all be up in arms and ask the public/wrestling community to support the cause but they refuse to give back to the public/wrestling community by forcing the top wrestlers to wrestle the All Star match.

They chose not to speak on the topic. Not much more you can do in that situation. I've been around the All-Star since 2006 ... it's not the first time a big-time wrestler has opted out after accepting and invite. There's a litany of reasons as to why. I didn't get a verbatim "no comment" ... but it was something along those lines.

Matt Brown is still wrestling, so it's not like Cael is scoffing at the event. He had DT, Megaludis and Dylan Alton in the event last year.

There's obviously something that prevents him from competing, speculating is just that, speculation.

Over the years, wrestlers who have accepted initial invitations to the All-Stars have later changed their mind and not wrestled... often, without any reason given.

I remember a decade ago, at the All-Stars at SIU-Edwardsville, invitee Jon Trenge wasn't able to participate, letting the authorities know at the last minute (less than 48 hours notice) so they got Scott Barker, who was from the St Louis area but wrestling at Oregon, to fly all day to make it to the All-Star event just in time.

I can understand if a wrestler might be reluctant to participate for fear of injury, or a drop in standings if they lose (despite the fact it's an exhibition and not supposed "to count" in rankings)... but, if that's the case, a wrestler should politely say, "No thank you" when offered the invite in the first place and let someone else participate, rather than force someone to be a second choice.

Mark