Sign in to follow this  
AKHUNTER

worlds vs olympics

With the Olympics dissing wrestling ( even if it were deserved ), is it time to start thinking about having a World Championship EVERY year? Other sports have World Championships and Olympic championships in the Oly years...why not wrestling doing that as well?

I kinda see it as being proactive on a couple fronts. First if wrestling were eliminated from the Olympics after the 2024 Olympics, World Championships would already be in place every year and maybe gain in importance before being dropped.

Secondly, as it stands now I think most people consider an Olympic gold to be the pinnacle.If worlds were held every year, and not defer to the Olympics, would they not be/become the pinnacle? After all the worlds do not have to have such a limited field and could be/is more of a TRUE World Championship. It also has the chance of being more interesting with a dark horse coming thru unexpectedly, which always brings more excitement.

There HAVE to be lots of thoughts and opinions on this.... I for one would certainly not want this to be THE reason wrestling were dropped after 2024..... but what is the best course for wrestling's survival.

Obviously we can not sit on our butts and do nothing which has been our problem for far too long.

ummmmmmmmmmm, the world championships are held every year except olympic years. Unless i misunderstood you. What I do not understand is why we do not have 10 weight classes at the world championships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ummmmmmmmmmm, the world championships are held every year except olympic years. Unless i misunderstood you. What I do not understand is why we do not have 10 weight classes at the world championships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also wished they a few more weight classes.

I thought the way he wrote it that he is saying other sports do have a World Championship the same year as the Olympics. So 4 WC and 1 Olympics every 4 years.

I thought the way he wrote it that he is saying other sports do have a World Championship the same year as the Olympics. So 4 WC and 1 Olympics every 4 years.

Actually, many sports don't have a World Championship the same year as the Olympics. Of the sports and disciplines at the Summer Olympics (some are forward-looking, as they are in the process of changing their rotations, also, some hold World Championships in non-Olympic disciplines in Olympic years, these are included as not having Worlds in Olympic years):

Aquatics: Odd years

Archery: Odd years

Athletics: Odd years

Badminton: Non-Olympic years

Basketball: Every four years, year before Olympics

Boxing: Odd years

Canoeing: Non-Olympic years

Cycling: Annually

Equestrian: Even non-Olympic years

Fencing: Annually

Field Hockey: Even non-Olympic years

Football: Even non-Olympic years