Sign in to follow this  
Matburn155

The Last Debate (Dake vs. Taylor)

Well folks, it's official and confirmed: Dake vs Taylor is on! I am extremely pumped about this matchup, as I'm sure many of you are. This is the first time I have ever posted about "Dake vs Taylor". I have no dog in this fight, in fact I don't even like either of them. But I know their are many people on this board who feel very passionately about who is the better folkstyle wrestler. With the endless debates, hundreds of threads(and hijacked threads), and thousands of posts I thought I would make one of my own to end it all, for those that are so sure they have the better folk wrestler.

So here is my big question: Assuming that this will be their only folkstyle meeting (Dake stays at 157), will this finally decide who is the better folkstyle wrestler? I want everyone who is so sure that their guy will win to step up to the plate and say that if Dake wins he is the better folk wrestler, and if Taylor wins he is the better folk wrestler. Who will put their money where their mouth is?

Feel free to debate all you want in this thread, but step up and say that "if my guy wins I was right, and if your guy loses I will admit defeat and admit I was dead wrong." There will be no excuses after the match such as: he had a weight advantage, he had a bad day, it's early in the season, or it's only an exhibition. I will revisit this thread after the match if it takes off.

Who will lay it all on the line my friends? David Taylor or Kyle Dake?

Matburn... This is only the beginning...The beginning of wrestlers getting out of their comfort zones....and coaches as well. Their are no losers here, if the goal is to grow awareness to this great sport. I believe because of this matchup that this will start a wave of other coaches and wrestlers laying it on the line. What's ironic (but great) is that the 2 coaches involved here in making this happen were the very 2 who had vastly different opinions a month ago about how to grow the sport.

It will certainly not be the end of the debate. If Taylor loses, there will be rationalization. If Dake loses...he is early season/up a weight and not in top shape...obviously he should lose!..is all we will hear from the Big Red camp.

Bottom line is, this is awesome for the sport and for the fans...BUT it could very well not be a great gauge of who is the better overall Folk wrestler, although it may be the only chance we will ever get...and it is much better than nothing.

Lets not forget that guys at this high of a level can take an absolute whopping, make an adjustment, and win a rematch with no problem. It has happened before (See Matcalf v Caldwell for an extreme case), and it will happen again.

That being said however, this may be the only chance we get to see them wrestle folk, so we take it for what it is, and I for one will be willing to say that the winner of this match should be considered the better folk wrestler.

Lets go DT!!! (and hopefully they end up at the same weight this season and we can see them on the big stage at NCAAs...now that would be something...and no room for excuses there!)

Either wrestle the match or don't.

If Dake loses and you come on here and say it's because he's a 157 lber, then we will introduce you to the kettle.

If Taylor loses and I see even one excuse I am just going to gouge out my eyes on the spot.

Yes. Knowing wrestling fans, once this match is over, everyone will agree that the winner is the best and nobody will ever argue about it again. Nor will the fans of the loser make excuses/rationalizations for their guy.

Hahaha.

If Dake loses and you come on here and say it's because he's a 157 lber, then we will introduce you to the kettle.

If Taylor loses and I see even one excuse I am just going to gouge out my eyes on the spot.

I'd obviously be more comfortable if David Taylor made good on his proposal to go down to 157 for this. Or just keep it all fantasy fodder between two greats, wrestling at different weights.

Guys who wrestle up a weight are at a major disadvantage. I think of Askren wrestling up against Kish. Kish is a great wrestler, but no match for Askren at the same weight. Not even close. Yet Askren had his hands full with Kish in a big way. Or how about Smith against Beloglasov? Beloglasov lost with respect, but I understand mentioned that maybe Smith should give him a crack at the lower of the two weights.

edit for Beloglasov

I'd obviously be more comfortable if David Taylor made good on his proposal to go down to 157 for this. Or just keep it all fantasy fodder between two greats, wrestling at different weights.

Guys who wrestle up a weight are at a major disadvantage. I think of Askren wrestling up against Kish. Kish is a great wrestler, but no match for Askren at the same weight. Not even close. Yet Askren had his hands full with Kish in a big way. Or how about Smith against Fadaev? Fadaev lost with respect, but I understand mentioned that maybe Smith should give him a crack at the lower of the two weights.

Wow...if this isn't setting the ground work for an excuse if Dake loses I don't know what is!!

You can say that wrestling up a weight is a disadvantage, and Taylor should win and is a favorite. OR You can say Dake is the better wrestler (Free or Folk) and will beat Taylor and is the favorite. You can not qualify one statement with the other however...that is completely contradictory and totally dishonest and cowardly.

Scribe, I just don't want to call it a major advantage or a clear advantage, when Dake has a proven track record at 163 lbs.

Also, I was under the impression that Dake's cut to 157 was a struggle for him, particularly early in the season. If Taylor is actually capable of cutting to 157, then he can't be that much bigger than Dake.

Matburn... This is only the beginning...The beginning of wrestlers getting out of their comfort zones....and coaches as well. Their are no losers here, if the goal is to grow awareness to this great sport. I believe because of this matchup that this will start a wave of other coaches and wrestlers laying it on the line. What's ironic (but great) is that the 2 coaches involved here in making this happen were the very 2 who had vastly different opinions a month ago about how to grow the sport.

Well put.

Usually Koll avoids the AS classic but this is great for wrestling and typical of both of these kids.

Neither is afraid of a challenge and the match if it is the only folkstyle match up ever will be epic regardless of the outcome.

Well put.

Usually Koll avoids the AS classic but this is great for wrestling and typical of both of these kids.

Neither is afraid of a challenge and the match if it is the only folkstyle match up ever will be epic regardless of the outcome.

For posterity, I think Koll has stated, well in the past, that he'd avoid the All Star Classic for a variety of reasons, BUT would do it if he wrestler felt strongly about it.

Yes. Knowing wrestling fans, once this match is over, everyone will agree that the winner is the best and nobody will ever argue about it again. Nor will the fans of the loser make excuses/rationalizations for their guy.

Amen.

He was sick, dying of cancer, found out that among his conservative relatives one of them was a closet supporter for Obama, had be abducted by aliens and that wasn't the real him, was hypnotized to lose, was told that unless he won that China would collect on the deficit...name your cliche, excuses for the loser WILL be made.

I've posted a prediction before but I'll redo it here. I think Dake wins a close, low scoring match. Something like 5-4 or 5-3, maybe 3-2 or 3-1. I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong on the winner or if it's high scoring. When two guys of this caliber clash it's virtually impossible to guess what will transpire. There could be fireworks, could be back points, hell, there could be a fall.....lol. I have no dog in this fight, both have beat DSJ, I could care less who wins as far as these two athletes and schools go. I'll stick with my prediction of Dake low scoring and close.

Just so my opinion is CLEARLY stated, when Dake vs. Taylor takes place I will be cheering for Derek St. John.

And who will DSJ be cheering for?

McDonough?

We need McDonough vs. Stieber and DSJ vs. Caldwell. Tickets will be sold.