Sign in to follow this  
snapspinscore

AGON results?

I agree 100% with you snapspinscore!

How the heck can we expect anyone else to promote or be interested in the sport or wrestling if we aren't even willing to promote it ourselves!

We got lucky this time around with the whole Save Olympic Wrestling campaign but truth be told it should have never even gotten to that state and if you think that it wont come up again.. think again. Our sport will ALWAYS be on the chopping block when its int he hands of non-wrestling people.

I agree 100% with you snapspinscore!

How the heck can we expect anyone else to promote or be interested in the sport or wrestling if we aren't even willing to promote it ourselves!

We got lucky this time around with the whole Save Olympic Wrestling campaign but truth be told it should have never even gotten to that state and if you think that it wont come up again.. think again. Our sport will ALWAYS be on the chopping block when its int he hands of non-wrestling people.

Yeah I totally agree. This was one of the biggest events of the year supposively, and something that was supposed to help our sport. NOBODY said anything about it. I didnt see any prediction threads, or any threads discussing this event. I did see a thread just about Askren looking like a turd, but that was about it. Sad really.

AgonWC ‏@AgonWC 2m

@QbwWright scores first 2-0

@Benaskren returns the favor quickly with a td and 2 exposures w back points. 13-4 Askren.

@QbwWright In deep on a single to end the period. Great action.

@@QbwWright scores in a situation I can't even describe. 13-6 Askren

I can't speak for others, but I really had no interest in seeing any of the matchups that were promoted. It seemed to me like a lot of guys who have moved on to the fighting world...with none of the top guys on the amateur ladder with the exception of Jordan Oliver. It's always fun to see Askren wrestle folkstyle, but watching him bump up against QW seems more like a freak show than anything else.

With that said, the concept is a worthwhile one to explore, and I think it would be wise if USAW followed suit with the some of the top guys on the ladder....I just wasn't interested by the matches for this event, and I also wasn't too keen on the main backers (Cagefighter).

What really matters though is the viewership numbers that Flo records and how they compare to some of their other events. Hopefully the numbers are pretty good to at least validate the concept.

Askren is to good. With the big win over wright. 22-8

This dude @Benaskren just called out @kyledake444 after his DOMINATION of @QbwWright at AGON 1!

@Benaskren just bet his 2 hodge trophies against @kyledake444 for AGON 3 in NY

Askren is certainly a great wrestler. But rather than challenge Dake, why doen't he sign up for the NYAC tournament (where Dake is likely to be, albeit at a weight Askren cannot make) or the U.S. Open, where he can wrestle 184 or the WTT?

It's not as if he has so many UFC fights that he could not do both.

This doesn't make sense that he beat Wright like that. He needs to sign up at 185 and wrestle WTT before challenging a guy a weight class below him. He gets dominated by Pendleton-how? Pendleton is great but Askren is either much better now or what? He barely won trials in 08 but beats the 197 lb champ like a high schooler. I do not understand. If he is this good then we need him at 185. But not being able to roll across his back may doom him in freestyle. He needs to challenge Sanderson or Varner.

Pendleton is at 96 kg. When Askren wrestled FS, the biggest issue was he would stand straight up. Presumably in folkstyle he out-funks people when they shoot, but in freestyle that's harder and he ended up getting taken down and beaten by guys he shouldn't be losing to (ie the Paulsons).

I am not an Askren fan, I am not a fan of Askren's pitty pat tap tap in MMA instead of ground and pound. With that said, he is a freak. I don't like what he does or his style, but it works and is creative and odd. The Agon event was great and was great for the sport. Still needs some development. The Abas vs Simmons match was low scoring but great. The Abas TD was beautiful. JO looked slick as usual. Askren and Q was a fun match and Askren calling out Dake was great! I want to see it and so will many other fans. I am all for the Agon concept.

Askren's folkstyle mat skills are in the top 10 i've ever seen, but they don't translate to FS. They don't give you enough time in FS to get a pin hold. Ben knows he has only so many years to make money in MMA. Much more than he would for winning a world championship in FS.

Dake at 165 vs Askren would be a match I'd pay to see. I'd prefer folkstyle, but AGON or FS would work for me.

Why doesn't Askren call out Pendleton? Still a lot of ink on that ledger.

Sure Askren could have called out Pendleton but Askren knows how to market himself and in return Agon. Dake is the golden boy, Dake is the bigger name. Dake is more well known, was up for ESPY and even Dana White may know Dake. The more tickets the event sells the more money Ben and Kyle may be able to get. Just think if ESPN became interested. May be a good filler in between pro season coverage.