Sign in to follow this  
Zelph

Iowa better get used to 2nd and lower

Penn State with Cael at the helm will finish ahead of Iowa again this year. Most likely Oklahoma State will also and possibly Minnesota. Maybe Ohio State as well.

Iowa with the short tempered dwarf twins coaching style of yelling and belligerence doesn't cut it against superior opponents.

Iowa is 2nd and worse for at least the next decade. Good for many lesser teams but a sad end to what the fans want. Iowa acts like being second banana is OK with them so maybe they are facing reality, finally.

Penn State with Cael at the helm will finish ahead of Iowa again this year. Most likely Oklahoma State will also and possibly Minnesota. Maybe Ohio State as well.

Iowa with the short tempered dwarf twins coaching style of yelling and belligerence doesn't cut it against superior opponents.

Iowa is 2nd and worse for at least the next decade. Good for many lesser teams but a sad end to what the fans want. Iowa acts like being second banana is OK with them so maybe they are facing reality, finally.

A little early for trash talkin' isn't it? While Penn St is definitely the favorite, I'd say that the next three are close behind. Ohio State has some great talent, but the results have yet to fully blossom. Injuries (and legal problems) could "derail" any of these top teams.

As an Iowa fan, however, I do appreciate good belligerence when I see it, and you've demonstrated great belligerence.

NICE WORK! (yelling)

8 cups of coffee before 10 AM will generate posts like this.

Zelph-You've got a lot going on in that post. I don't think I'll change your mind on any of it but calling the coaches names is a little childish. Have you ever looked into what Mormons actually believe? It would be pretty easy to make fun of Cael but what relevance does that have to wrestling and a wrestling discussion? I don't mind you stating an opinion (that you can't prove unless you can see the future or have a time machine) but personal attacks on the coaches? Anyway, I'll just go with you saying Iowa won't win for the next decade. Even I can't see who's coming along and recruiting classes 6-10 years down the road. You have no idea who is winning in the next decade, it might be Oklahoma who knows, so when you make statements like that, in addition to the name calling, most people aren't going to take you seriously. Maybe that was your intent, I don't know. Iowa won 3 with a super team. Penn St. is going to get 4 with an Iowa St. team and Penn St. team put together. Let's just sit back and see what happens after Penn St. graduates the Iowa St team. I like Retherford ALOT and Marstellar too, but they have to prove to me they can replace Taylor and Ruth. Who knows maybe Iowa, Minnesota, or Oklahoma St win next year. I don't know and you don't either. I'm not mad at you but I'm just telling you, as a friend, your post has a lot wrong with it. Takes this anyway you'd like.

It seems that Penn St is unstoppable this season, and probably not going very far after this season. Cael will undoubtedly go down as one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport. One of the many things that has impressed me with his short coaching career is the adaptation that he has made from ISU to PSU. While at ISU, it seemed to me, that his wrestlers were in fantastic position, and very difficult to score on, but they had one glaring weakness. They were unable to go out and get offensive points when they needed them. Now...not so much. I've seen a million champions come back and wrestle close hard fought battles, but the key word being close. Guys at this level seem to figure out how to wrestle almost any style to the point that defending champions usually wind up being the Super Bowl for everyone they wrestle the next season... PSU's two "once in a lifetime" guys have widened the gap between their toughest competition and themselves every season so far. I don't know for certain if Cael has changed his philosophy on risk/reward or if he just got lucky and struck gold and diamonds in the same mining effort, but I hope everyone appreciates just what a great job he has done with PSU's dynamic duo of Ruth and Taylor. The Hawkeyes will challenge forever. I imagine they will get a title here and there, and 80 years from now, people will say their titles shouldn't count because it was before the "new" modern era. Those who saw it up close and personal feel the same we did about the Pokes teams of the 50's and 60's...They were freaking awesome!!! Good luck to all, especially Oklahoma State.

Cael has the built in recruiting advantage being the state school in PA. Only if some California school could get similar funding would you have a single school having that type of advantage. Ohio State is also high quality, I'm still wondering how OK State got two real good ones from Ohio last year, I thought Tom Ryan was really working on keeping the in-state talent.

Iowa is getting hurt from Gable's developing and promoting his guys to be college coaches in the Big Ten. Illinois was always a prime recruiting ground for Iowa State under Harold Nichols and Iowa under Gable.

OU can place 6 of which 2 or 3 can win titles. However, PSU has the same number, and scores 25 bonus points, which was what cost OK State last year.

Iowa has to change its mentality about recruiting. During Gable's 9-year run he had a lot of out-of-state wrestlers that were outstanding athletes. Then after the 4-year hiatus, he unveiled the Brands. He recruited tough kids who would run through whatever wall he wanted then to run through. But, Iowa no longer pinned as much, maybe because the wrestlers weren't as good athletes as during the 9-year run.

In order to beat Penn State not only do you need 2-3 champs and 2-4 AAs every year, you need a bunch of bonus points. Right now PSU because of Cael's coaching is the only team doing this. Until Iowa, Minnesota, OK State, Ohio State, OU and a few others start pinning more opponents they can't beat PSU unless they have a close to perfect tournament, and PSU has a subpar performance.

I'm old enough to remember when Iowa was the school that hadn't won a NCAA title from Iowa. I saw how the OSU fans reacted when they felt their birthright had been stolen by Iowa. Then I saw the Iowa fans go into shock when Mike Zadick go dismantled in the NCAAs despite being the top seed. Iowa has won since then, but it has never been the dominant program since. Now we have PSU and as long as Cael keeps recruiting well they'll perform well. Marsteller and Nickal will be the next great ones after Taylor and Ruth leave. Not this year, but 2015 is when PSU might slip a bit, but after that looks like a long dry spell for everyone else.

It seems that Penn St is unstoppable this season

This could be only because I haven't sat down and compared the two, lineup for lineup, but I'm a bit mystified as to why everyone calls this season a done deal, when Minnesota, or so I believe, should have as much firepower as Penn State, right?

Iowa should be fine as long as they keep recruiting out of state.

Most of Iowa's champions, 27 out of 51, were in-state recruits. The state of Iowa has produced 77 Ncaa champs. That's second only to Oklahoma. PA has 75 champs, Il 45, Ohio 33. . .

Iowa has always had a mix of in-state and out-of-state recruits. I'm sure this will continue.

Incidently, Iowa has had no Ncaa champs from PA. And to my memory, only two AAs from PA - Brinzer and Strittmatter. Mark Perry is the only Iowa wrestler I can remember from OK.

Iowa has primarily recruited in-state and neighboring states like IL, MN, SD, ND, and WI, with a few very good wrestlers from the northeast.

this is a really cool post. reflects great on penn state fans. very good for the sport over all. cant wait for more like it.

I don't believe the thread originator is a Penn State fan.

This reflects nothing on us Penn Staters. Just as your hoping Penn State loses every match so you can wallow in PSU sorrows does not reflect on Nate Shearer, Ryan Riggs and the W&L people and program.

It seems that Penn St is unstoppable this season

This could be only because I haven't sat down and compared the two, lineup for lineup, but I'm a bit mystified as to why everyone calls this season a done deal, when Minnesota, or so I believe, should have as much firepower as Penn State, right?

Minnesota can go toe-to-toe with PSU except when it comes to bonus points via Ruth & Taylor. Dominating your opponent pays dividends in a tournament format.

Minnesota will be very tough this year, but we still have to watch and see how Steinhouse comes back. As a Penn Stater the team that scares me most is the future Ohio State teams. Next year they have both Steibers, Bo Jordan, Kyle Snyder, and a lot of other really tough guys.

Cael has the built in recruiting advantage being the state school in PA. Only if some California school could get similar funding would you have a single school having that type of advantage.

-snip-

Ummm...hasn't Penn St. always had that advantage? But they have not always been this good, or even close to it.

Iowa should be fine as long as they keep recruiting out of state.

Incidently, Iowa has had no Ncaa champs from PA. And to my memory, only two AAs from PA - Brinzer and Strittmatter.

Isn't M. Evans from PA?

Correct. I forgot Evans. Sorry Mike.

this is a really cool post. reflects great on penn state fans. very good for the sport over all. cant wait for more like it.

I don't believe the thread originator is a Penn State fan.

This reflects nothing on us Penn Staters. Just as your hoping Penn State loses every match so you can wallow in PSU sorrows does not reflect on Nate Shearer, Ryan Riggs and the W&L people and program.

so this post was motivated purely by iowa hatred? wow, thats almost, impressive?

anyway, i talked to Nate the other day at homecoming. he was like, "yeah, i like the penn state program too, i just wish all their fans would fall into an open volcano." so it turns out his views do reflect mine.

just kidding i never met nate. but i did get a nice card from him after i donated 50 smackers to the wrestling program tho.

Northwestern has been quiet since Herbert,Lang,and Fox beat Iowa a few years back. In 2014-15 I think they have a good shot at the title.

25) Steven Micic Top 25 recruit/Malone/White possible AA

33)Malone/White Schmidt Round of 12

41) Greco possible A round of 12

49) Trirtsis Title Contender

57)Bryce Brill AA material

65) Pierce Harger AA potential

74)lee Munster AA potential

84) Mitch Sliga AA potential round of 12 Fargo Champ

97)Alex Polizzi AA potential

Hwt) Mike McMullan Title Contender

NU looks as good as OSU on paper maybe their depth is not like PU or Iowa. Still, they will be right there .

Cael has the built in recruiting advantage being the state school in PA. Only if some California school could get similar funding would you have a single school having that type of advantage.

-snip-

Ummm...hasn't Penn St. always had that advantage? But they have not always been this good, or even close to it.

Penn State has, but Cael hasn't. Now both he and they have it at the same time to which you can see the result.

Zelph-You've got a lot going on in that post. I don't think I'll change your mind on any of it but calling the coaches names is a little childish. Have you ever looked into what Mormons actually believe? It would be pretty easy to make fun of Cael but what relevance does that have to wrestling and a wrestling discussion? I don't mind you stating an opinion (that you can't prove unless you can see the future or have a time machine) but personal attacks on the coaches? Anyway, I'll just go with you saying Iowa won't win for the next decade. Even I can't see who's coming along and recruiting classes 6-10 years down the road. You have no idea who is winning in the next decade, it might be Oklahoma who knows, so when you make statements like that, in addition to the name calling, most people aren't going to take you seriously. Maybe that was your intent, I don't know. Iowa won 3 with a super team. Penn St. is going to get 4 with an Iowa St. team and Penn St. team put together. Let's just sit back and see what happens after Penn St. graduates the Iowa St team. I like Retherford ALOT and Marstellar too, but they have to prove to me they can replace Taylor and Ruth. Who knows maybe Iowa, Minnesota, or Oklahoma St win next year. I don't know and you don't either. I'm not mad at you but I'm just telling you, as a friend, your post has a lot wrong with it. Takes this anyway you'd like.

The short tempered dwarf twins coaching style of yelling and belligerence doesn't cut it against superior opponents.

I did make me chuckle tho ....

What a wonderful post, Zelph!!!!!!!!!! Twins were born with genetics that caused them to be short, so lets call them dwarfs. Tom and Terry are deeply concerned with their wrestlers academics, have had 3 titles, and in my opinion, Tom is among the top 4-6 head coaches now. I know I called Tom a so-so coach but that was in comparison to Gable, who in my opinion is the greatest coach ever in any sport. I believe I was either the first, or among the first to predict a dearth of team titles in the Fall of 2010, in addition to a decline. I continue to believe this but it just my opinion. To resort to name calling against the Brands is uncalled for. They are good and decent people who are very good coaches. Gable, of course, was always the model of calm on the bench, never showing emotion, right?