Sign in to follow this  
fallguy

Iowa State Update

As much as I wish success on Jackson and ISU, I think that he's high if he thinks that this team is as solid as the team he had in his first year!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"The fifth-year coach also said this team has “the most talent in our room that I’ve seen.”

Wait, more talent than his first team at Iowa State? The one with three eventual NCAA champions, including an Olympic gold medalist in the lineup?

“Well, they were pretty good,” Jackson said. “You’re talking about the Jon Readers and Jake Varners and Nick Gallicks, and they were pretty talented. But I think up and down the lineup — 125 to heavyweight, strictly from a talent standpoint, the ability to hit more skills and moves at a younger age and know wrestling at a younger age — I believe we do.”

Yes, I found all of the naysayers to be very curious last year. The season hadn't even begun and people were already calling for his job, and then one dual into the season it intensified.

Mighty strange to be that premature for calling for a job firing. :?

I'm very excited for this season. I can't wait to see how Earl Hall performs this year. He's got a tough guy pushing him in Larson. Here's my take on a few weights:

125 - Earl Hall - untested but some great freestyle wins (or Larson - tough guy built like a tank)

133 - Bauer - will he be a weak link?

141 - Gabe Moreno vs. Shayden Teruikena (sp?)

149 - How will Goettle look? Many are predicting a huge improvement at this weight if he's finally healthy.

157 - Nicholson vs. Molina - two tough guys who just might produce at R12/AA levels

Hwt - Smith - unproven - I'll admit I'm very skeptical that we will have a tough guy here.

Anyway, I'm trying not to get my expectations too high simply because this is still a very young team.

Hmm, top 6. Tougher than usual to do that in my humble, yet very accurate opinion!

PSU

followed in any order by

Oklahoma State University

Iowa University

Oklahoma University

Minnesota

Ohio State University

Cornell

It's pretty tough to get inside the top 6. The over all field is just so freaking tough.

I'm very excited for this season. I can't wait to see how Earl Hall performs this year. He's got a tough guy pushing him in Larson. Here's my take on a few weights:

125 - Earl Hall - untested but some great freestyle wins (or Larson - tough guy built like a tank)

133 - Bauer - will he be a weak link?

141 - Gabe Moreno vs. Shayden Teruikena (sp?)

149 - How will Goettle look? Many are predicting a huge improvement at this weight if he's finally healthy.

157 - Nicholson vs. Molina - two tough guys who just might produce at R12/AA levels

Hwt - Smith - unproven - I'll admit I'm very skeptical that we will have a tough guy here.

Anyway, I'm trying not to get my expectations too high simply because this is still a very young team.

Quean Smith was a 2x from the same school as Jarod Trice starting 2 years after Jarod graduated. He actually was a senior in 2011. He disappeared for a year and now he is listed as a RFR. I asked a couple times what happened to him and no one seemed to have a solid answer. He was LEGIT in High School had a similar build and ability as Trice and an added bonus he seemed to NOT have the ATTITUDE that turned some off to Trice. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how Smith turns out.

This is the year we find out if Kevin Jackson can coach, isn't it?

Seems many have been calling for his firing because his guys haven't won the NCAA tournament.

How soon they forget Cael couldn't do it with a room full of studs at ISU either.

Had they met in International Competition I would pick Jackson over Cael 8 of 10 times.

Concerning Quean Smith

The way is understand was that he was missing a class or 2 to gain access into Iowa State and that is why he never entered right out of high school.

Last year, I heard his weight was up to 340 and this past summer he went and trained with some MMA guys and got most the weight off.

I heard he has some medical issues, but if he can keep them in check, I think he will get better as the year progresses.

Dual schedule will be tougher this year. We added Minnesota back into the schedule and we need to be ready for Grand View (NAIA Champs). GV is next week along with Drexel, they are solid at 141, 149, 157,165, 174 and Hwt

Dual schedule will be tougher this year. We added Minnesota back into the schedule and we need to be ready for Grand View (NAIA Champs). GV is next week along with Drexel, they are solid at 141, 149, 157,165, 174 and Hwt

Wow, you are so right. I just looked at the ISU dual schedule, and it's mostly tough.

I gotta think that the quality level of Cyclone wrestlers is significantly better than that of Grand View, no matter how well GV does in the NAIA. However, I love it when the Clones and the Hawks take on top-rated Div II, Div III, and NAIA competition early ion the season. I wish that Grand View and Wartburg were in the Iowa Duals this year.

Having the Gophers in the schedule is a big plus, because I think they will be seriously good this year, too. The ISU-UNI meet will now be a toughy, as Schwab is getting things humming in Cedar Falls.

Wow, you are so right. I just looked at the ISU dual schedule, and it's mostly tough.

I gotta think that the quality level of Cyclone wrestlers is significantly better than that of Grand View, no matter how well GV does in the NAIA. However, I love it when the Clones and the Hawks take on top-rated Div II, Div III, and NAIA competition early ion the season. I wish that Grand View and Wartburg were in the Iowa Duals this year.

Having the Gophers in the schedule is a big plus, because I think they will be seriously good this year, too. The ISU-UNI meet will now be a toughy, as Schwab is getting things humming in Cedar Falls.

I don't think Grand View is going to threaten to actually win the dual but I wouldn't be surprised to see some tight matches and at least 3 GV wins.

The really interesting match will be 125 GV Finch vs Hall or Larson. I'm sure Finch will be highly motivated for that one. If GV wins 3 that would be a successful outing for a lower level school. ISU had better not overlook them.