Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

Host site finalists for 2015-2018 Championships...

I live in OKC so i will be happy. OKC is no longer a big cowtown, we are getting national attention due to the booming energy sector and the Thunder NBA team. Bedlam will start to draw big crowds again since OU has a head coach who really cares about beating OSU.

The new Sprint arena in KC changes from a place with no restaurants and hotels near arena to one similar to Omaha and OKC.

I enjoyed Philly except walking from the arena to the subway. Hopefully, there will be hotels and restaurants around the arena by the time Philly gets it again.

Cleveland was not great, but with a bigger arena and better location maybe I'll like it.

Nrver been to Louisville, been to Atlanta once 45 years ago, no immediate desire to go back. The longest 4 months of my life were spent in Alabama and that includes 10 months in Vietnam.

Charlotte NC would be a good place since it is a hub.

If NYC or Chicago were ever to host it, i'd make it a 10-day trip so i could explore the cultural and historical sites. The cost wouldn't bother me, but would for someone who was trying to take kids to the tournament.

I guess I should write an old bachelor's guide to OKC and post on here about a month before the NCAAs. A lot of things have improved especially the realigned I-40 freeway and a bunch of new hotels in Bricktown and the airport. The arena has been renovated extensively.

Nrver been to Louisville, been to Atlanta once 45 years ago, no immediate desire to go back. The longest 4 months of my life were spent in Alabama and that includes 10 months in Vietnam.

I'm confused...I've been to Atlanta's airport 347,186 times (and will be through it again tomorrow), and yet have never managed to cross the border into Alabama.

Jim,

I'd really like to see what it could do in Hershey (D3). This the amount of Division III programs within easy driving distance and no high school events slated to be the weekend E-Town is bidding, they could do it right there too.

CR is tops for sure. Lax was a ton of fun. I wouldn't mind a little mix now and again. Plus, the whole town smells like chocolate!

My brain tells me that other sites are good for the sport, but - damn - I LOVE having DIII's here - and on Thursdays we smell like Cap'n Crunch.

The bottom line is we MUST step up and support championships in all divisions. The Capitol Plaza Hotel and Convention Center in Topeka has risen to the challenge and is supporting Wrestling For Life ticket efforts for the NAIA Championships - and Grap - we could get huge support in Waterloo. Chuck Yagla, Mike Allen, Bob Buckley and the Gable Museum could provide the leadership that is needed to make the DII Championships soar. Leaders must arise where most needed. We just can't focus solely on the DI Championships if we want the sport to really grow.

Cap'n Crunch? You should be sooo glad that Wilson's meatpacking closed years ago... ;) Ask the oldtimers about it.

GG, I hear you about Div II and III. You are correct, of course. NAIA and NJCAA, too.

And JB, I must admit that Chocolatetown would be an excellent place as well. Heck, the Geneva, Ohio place sounds interesting to me.

My one grudge, though is against cities and towns that want to take our money, but don't want to sponsor a team of their own. None of the places mentioned above fall into that category, and no place in IA, MN, PA, or OH are, but others do. You will say, "how can we attract folks if we don't show the flag?" And I will answer that these venues and restaurants will gladly take our money, but none of their colleges will ever field a wrestling team. God bless the Capitol Plaza Hotel and Convention Center in Topeka, but Washburn University needs to get on the program, and offer Div II wrestling. Either KSU or KU needs to do the same in Div I. The state of Kansas is underrepresented in wrestling.

Best Choices (of the finalists):

8. Louisville - Kentucky is not exactly a hotbed of wrestling

7. Kansas City - similar to Louisville but slightly easier to get a flight there

6. OK City - state has good wrestling, but even Bedlam fails to draw many fans these days

5. St. Louis - has proved itself to be a very capable host several times in the past 13 years

4. Cleveland - Ohio has great wrestling, so lets see if it can support the NCAA tournament

(Grand Canyon-sized gap)

3. Pittsburgh - 2nd biggest city in by far the best wrestling state would make for a great tournament

2. Philadelphia - hosted the best nationals ever in 2011

1. New York - center of the universe and a no-brainer

A revised list:

8. Louisville - No wrestling there.

7. New York - Great for a Broadway show. Crappy for a blue-collar sport. Way too expensive.

6. Philadelphia - Expensive. Too many Frank Rizzos and other no-brainers.

(Grand Canyon-sized gap)

5. St Louis - great, but been there, done that.

4. Oklahoma City - Let's see if they can fill the place this year. For all the great wrestlers in this state, the great fans need to show up as well.

3. Kansas City - Better wrestling fans than outsiders know. Like in St. Louis, Mizzou is the host. Sprint Center right downtown with all the restaurants / bars.

2. Cleveland - A lot to offer. Let''s give this place a try.

1. Pittsburgh - has it all, venue, wrestling fans, food, flights, fun.

Hershey makes more sense in terms of the geographic distribution of the schools, so it may be more economical for the NCAA to host DIII there. Schools within 500 miles are supposed to drive to the tournament and over that they fly. A ton of teams are not within driving distance of Cedar Rapids, and flights into Cedar Rapids are preposterously expensive, especially given the short notice required for an NCAA tournament. For that reason, many end up flying into other airports and driving quite a ways. While this might still be the case for Harrisburg/Hershey as well, there are more teams that can drive.The entire East, Northeast and Mideast regions are driving distance to Hershey (and almost all are not driving distance to Cedar Rapids). That's 53 teams definitely within driving distance as opposed to something like 35 for Cedar Rapids.

All that said, speaking just from a geography standpoint, Cleveland probably makes the most sense. It's almost directly in the center of the DIII wrestling map and has a decently sized airport. Cedar Rapids and La Crosse put on a good tournament, but the tournament has either been in Iowa or Wisconsin every year since 2007. It's time to bring the tournament back east where most of the teams are.

Andy,

I have had a few conversations with Dick Simmons, the chairperson of the DIII wrestling committee, and he acknowledges that the Division III Championships need to be in the East for a while. However, let me ask you this - which is better - to have 5-digit attendance at events that are not easy to reach or 4-digit attendance at more accessible sites? This question is based on past attendance figures for the DIII Championships. Folks show up in Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, Waterloo and La Crosse - not so much elsewhere.

Which is better for wrestling?

If the folks in Harrisburg/Hershey or Cleveland want to outwork us and show they can do the job - so be it. I'll do everything I can to support the lower intercollegiate wrestling divisions and right now that means bringing as many events to Cedar Rapids as we can.

Louisville, KY: KFC Yum! Center (Louisville/Louisville Sports Commission

Can someone elaborate on this for me please? Because a part of me wants to be excited about what this could potentially mean, but with no one else seeming to be it leaves me in wonder. What's the deal here?

To clarify, yes it's actually called that.

Andy,

I have had a few conversations with Dick Simmons, the chairperson of the DIII wrestling committee, and he acknowledges that the Division III Championships need to be in the East for a while. However, let me ask you this - which is better - to have 5-digit attendance at events that are not easy to reach or 4-digit attendance at more accessible sites? This question is based on past attendance figures for the DIII Championships. Folks show up in Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, Waterloo and La Crosse - not so much elsewhere.

Which is better for wrestling?

If the folks in Harrisburg/Hershey or Cleveland want to outwork us and show they can do the job - so be it. I'll do everything I can to support the lower intercollegiate wrestling divisions and right now that means bringing as many events to Cedar Rapids as we can.

I have no proof whatsoever, but if I were betting on this, I'd bet that Cedar Rapids would put many more butts in seats than Hershey for Div III Nationals. I would advise the good folks in Hershey to take up this challenge. We won't know unless they get the opportunity.

Hershey itself I believe only has a branch campus of Embry-Riddle, no actual colleges in town. Elizabethtown is 12 miles from Hershey, it's not like a Rider "hosting" in Albany.

York was the rumor I heard last year.

looking at pinnum's awesome batcg geo map

http://batchgeo.com/map/c0e81f035bb980370884a6157e67ed9a

Elizabethtown is closest to Hershey, but Messiah and York are both very close. also, according to google maps, any school from Providence, RI going east and Cleveland, OH going west are within a 5.5 hour drive, so that saves a LOT of schools a plane trip. 5.5 hours going east from Cedar Rapids doesn't even get you to Toledo.

I'm sure Cedar Rapids is a sweet place. it looked cool in the movie, anyway. But Hershey is also pretty sweet, and far more equitable for all the east coast schools.

course i have no dog in the fight since i won't be going, so take my thoughts for what theyre worth. did enjoy procrastinating at work on friday, tho.

Okay - I love Division III wrestling and I love my town, so my heart wants the DIII championships here (Cedar Rapids) every year. However, I know they need to move and I know Dick wants them to go east. My challenge is for eastern organizers to match midwestern performance. If we make it easy for fans of eastern schools to attend and 7,000 fans show up, have we made the right decision when we know 10 - 11,000 fans will attend in the Midwest? So - I'm throwing down the gauntlet - all of you who are citing the proximity argument MAKE IT HAPPEN. Outperform midwestern sites. I say right now - we will run a Wrestling For Life ticket effort for whatever host sites are selected, but I'll need someone in the host area to step up and help. Who will it be?