Sign in to follow this  
RetiredPoster

I would love to see Burroughs vs ...........

slow down boys. jb is doing great and is on pace to be one of the best ever. 3 time world/olympic champs aren't that hard to come by internationally.

i'd love to see him wrestle dake again and again. their second match was amazing.

I think Adam Saitiev is a bad match up and beats him at his peak, B. Saitiev wins 6/10 over him. Burroughs beats the other guys mentioned in this thread. In terms of what is possible I'd love to see him against some of the to 84s especially Aldatov.

Adam in 2000 was unstoppable. I don't see JB beating him under any set of rules.

JB was unstoppable in 2011 and 2012. He's unstoppable so far in 2013. :)

yes, he was great. However just for comparison... in 2000 Adam Saitiev bumped up to 84 despite not being anywhere near big enough. He then beat 7x world champ Khadartsev and future 2x world champ Sajidov at the Yarygin. At the nationals he beat defending Olympic champ and world runner up Magomedov by 5 pt throw. In the Olympic final, he pinned defending world champ Romero. I don't think any other wrestler has ever had such a run. Through no fault of his own, the best guy Burroughs has beaten is 2x champ Tsargush. Burroughs is an incredible wrestler, and I fully believe he will be one of the best ever, but I don't think he beats a 2000 Adam Saitiev.

Of all the wrestlers mentioned Adam Saitiev (cerca 2000) seems like the toughest match-up, not as vulnerable to double legs as Buvaisar. It's just really hard to be confident one way or the other for any of these -- Burroughs has proved excellent at sticking to his strongest positions and dictating the match with his footwork/pace. Most Americans try to do this just by being active and their experienced opponents can afford to stay patient and counter-attack them off the mat, but in Burroughs case his leg attacks are so efficient that (thus far) opponents have to react at least somewhat to his motion. Adam Saitiev seems like he would be particularly challenging because he brings so much to the table, completely unpredictable and effective in every position as well as extremely active. Sometimes it seems like Burroughs would benefit from opponents bringing it to him more, and not wrestling just to counteract his style, just not necessarily with the upper body ties that Adam Saitiev leads with. Both wrestlers would make the other uncomfortable in this highly hypothetical match-up, not confident one way or the other who wins. I do think that Burroughs in a couple years could be much better and more well-rounded than he is today.

/rant

Adam in 2000 was unstoppable. I don't see JB beating him under any set of rules.

yes, he was great. However just for comparison... in 2000 Adam Saitiev bumped up to 84 despite not being anywhere near big enough. He then beat 7x world champ Khadartsev and future 2x world champ Sajidov at the Yarygin. At the nationals he beat defending Olympic champ and world runner up Magomedov by 5 pt throw. In the Olympic final, he pinned defending world champ Romero. I don't think any other wrestler has ever had such a run. Through no fault of his own, the best guy Burroughs has beaten is 2x champ Tsargush. Burroughs is an incredible wrestler, and I fully believe he will be one of the best ever, but I don't think he beats a 2000 Adam Saitiev.

Adam Saitiev did have a great year in 2000, especially considering he wasn't wrestling at his best weight. With that said, Khadartsev wasn't nearly the wrestler he was in his prime at that point when Adam beat him. Sajidov became great, but how good was he at the time? Obviously very good, but at the level he was when he picked up his 2 world titles? The wins over Magomedov and Romero are great, nothing to say about those really. There have been plenty of great runs, some similar or even greater than Adam's if we are talking all time.

Daniel Igali. This would be a great one: Burroughs' offense against Igali's counter-offense. Not sure Burroughs would be able to double Igali--pretty sure he wouldn't, actually--but this would sure be a great match-up.

Tsargush is probably the best guy JB has wrestled but if he isn't around are we talking about a 5x champ in Tsargush. That would put Tsargush in elite company in this hypothetical situation.

JB will be one of the greatest ever if he wins 2nd Olympic Gold, but I don't think Burroughs is there yet.

I don't think beats either Saitiev in their prime (at the moment). The technique arsenal of these 2 guys was so amazing and vast. The way Saitiev's made world-class wrestlers of all types look like total amateurs was frightening, even at 85kg ! Adam Saitiev won an Olympic gold at 85kg...pinning Romero in the finals...sick. I don't see JB doing the same.

At 84kg, I see JB struggling mightily with his explosive style (there were reports that he lost in practice to the young Russian champ: practice doesn't count of course, but it doesn't surprise me) and someone like Sharifov would handle JB easily IMO, yet if it was one of the Saitiev's in their prime, I would bet on them at 84kg too.

Also, look at the way JB struggles with D. Tsargush. Their 2 matches have been razor thin and JB struggles with upper body ties. Yet Tsargush is nowhere near the caliber of wrestler that any of the Saitiev's were in their prime. His offense is much much less varied and surprising.

I would actually love to see JB enter some top Russian tournament that matters so we can see him against 4-5 very good Russians in a row, like Tsargush, Geduev, Khubetzy, etc. Tsargush actually looks quite improved and by all accounts Geduev has improved leaps and bounds.

I agree Adam Satiev was the best 74k ever even though he only won three titles-starting at 149 then going to 187 because of his multi time champ brother and simply dominating. He weighed in at 180 in 2000 and that was bulked up! I think if Jordan could beat Cael which he could not do in 2011 2 min goes then he could be considered the best at any time-practice does not count I know. But I think that Adam was the best middleweight ever at any one time. Jordan may get there but I agree can he go up a weight and dominate guys like Cael, Aldatov and Sharipov-I don't think so either. I know he did dominate Gavin though so he is close to being able to win 84 but I doubt we will ever get to see a Aldatov or Sharipov match.