Sign in to follow this  
tec87

Foxcatcher Movie in the works

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/ ... iller.html

So far they have only listed Channing Tatum as in talks for playing Dave Schultz but the other one is kind of a head scratcher. Steve Carrell playing DuPont. I like Carrell a lot and he is a funny guy and all but I just don't see how he can be taken credibly as the wackjob that was DuPont.

Not sure a downward spiral into madness that concludes with the shooting death of a talented wrestler makes for a great ending to a sports drama. I'd much rather have them tell the story of Schultz as an hard working brutal wrestler that surprisingly was such a kind hearted international ambassador of the sport who tragically dies as a result of his caring and loyalty to the clu/DuPont. That dual character story sounds like a much more intreging story to tell than focusing a main part of it DuPont. Just doesn't seem like as much of a climax and conclusion people will get drawn into when the movie follows DuPont instead of Schultz.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/10/steve-carell-foxcatcher-channing-tatum-bennett-miller.html

So far they have only listed Channing Tatum as in talks for playing Dave Schultz but the other one is kind of a head scratcher. Steve Carrell playing DuPont. I like Carrell a lot and he is a funny guy and all but I just don't see how he can be taken credibly as the wackjob that was DuPont.

Because Carrell is known for his over the top seriousness and stoicism in movies?

I think you guys are being a bit too critical yet. Bennett Miller is the director of Moneyball and Capote. No contracts have been signed but if he is going for big actors like Carell and Tatum this has potential. Who would have thought Ledger would have made a great Joker before he did it? I'm sure Carell can pull it off. Would you rather have a nobody do this and gain no attention? I'm not sure but I've heard somewhere that Tatum was involved in Martial Arts. Maybe he has some wrestling background? He has the name of a pretty boy but I thought he did pretty good in eagle. Dan Futterman is on board as well (Known for writing capote). This has big potential.

I was a former Foxcatcher athlete and I talked with some people in Know about this movie. Word is it based on some loose facts and will not be accurate. This summer I was contacted by Nancy and she is working on a Documentray about Dave.

I just hope HOLLYWOOD does Dave, Nancy and the kids justices. But from the sound of it...they won't.

UM158 - you worked out there? I knew some guys that worked out there before the tragedy, and they would tell me some crazy stuff about DuPont. They said he got rid of all the lifecycles because he thought the digital readouts would make him travel through time. And that he drove an expensive new car (Cadillac) into a pond on his facility for a similar reason - didn't like/trust the digital clock. Lots of stories like that were commonplace - he seemed very paranoid.

The most disappointing part, in my opinion, is that the DuPont family has not stepped up and become a huge sponsor of wrestling and wrestling programs. They have more money than God, and it's the very least they could do.

UM158 - you worked out there? I knew some guys that worked out there before the tragedy, and they would tell me some crazy stuff about DuPont. They said he got rid of all the lifecycles because he thought the digital readouts would make him travel through time. And that he drove an expensive new car (Cadillac) into a pond on his facility for a similar reason - didn't like/trust the digital clock. Lots of stories like that were commonplace - he seemed very paranoid.

The most disappointing part, in my opinion, is that the DuPont family has not stepped up and become a huge sponsor of wrestling and wrestling programs. They have more money than God, and it's the very least they could do.

Seperating fact from fiction can be a rather challenging task sometimes. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I once heard that Dupont used to sometimes show up to practices in a singlet and wrestlers would allow him to beat them. Afterwards they would hoist Dupont on their shoulders and carry him around in a huge celebration. According to he who told me, it was done to keep DuPont under control and keep him from getting angry.

While Steve Carrell is known for his comedic roles, he is a very talented actor with a diverse skill set. I think Steve will do a great job.

This could be a great film. Will be sad to watch, however.

I'm not sure why, but I just can't stand this guy. (Steve Carrell) Maybe because my bride just has to watch "The Office" every single night, and I can't stand that show either. Something about him just bugs me. I like sitcoms ... yet the office drives me nuts. Luckily we have more then on TV ....

Mean while, back to this Movie effort. It will be interesting to see how they portray the wrestling aspect, in relation to the du Pont family etc ...

As to the cast ... Will any of the other wrestlers (or the characters) have a small role in the Movie? Or will they only focus on Shultz? Because, there was a fair amount of Drama and angst within the Team after the murder. And I am curious as to how the portray that division created between the team members afterwards and up to the Olympics.

It's just such a sad segment of our wrestling history in America.

Had an evening of Foxcatcher stories once with someone who was in firsthand.

Shocked, disturbed, and most of all upset by Dupont and the "realities" he

created with his money and maniacal and paranoid personality.

The entire story has the potential to separate wrestling even more from people who

don't understand it to begin with.

As with others, I hope they do Dave Schultz justice.

Foxcatcher was able to come to fruition because of the lack of support for our sport in

our country, and that should be noted as well.

The entire story has the potential to separate wrestling even more from people who don't understand it to begin with.
+1

It seems like almost every movie that has come out the past decade concerning wrestling has made some dark event or person a major part of its story. Why?? IMO doing this only helps to increase the public's negative perception of our sport.

It's just such a sad segment of our wrestling history in America.

Which is why I have no plans to watch it.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if I found out that they decided to intentionally distance themselves from wrestling as far as possible. Why would they want to be associated with a sport that, as far as their family is concerned, has such a horrible event connected to it? And anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK no one else in the DuPont family had any connection to Team Foxcatcher.

Seperating fact from fiction can be a rather challenging task sometimes. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I once heard that Dupont used to sometimes show up to practices in a singlet and wrestlers would allow him to beat them. Afterwards they would hoist Dupont on their shoulders and carry him around in a huge celebration. According to he who told me, it was done to keep DuPont under control and keep him from getting angry.

I think you are confusing that with your high school wrestling career.

I think you are confusing that with your high school wrestling career.

Must you constantly take childish shots at me every chance you get? We're trying to discuss an upcoming film here and the possibilities that surround it. You could at least send me private threats and insults instead of polluting everyone's posts with them. 85% of the post you've made have been direct shots at me. Are you a wrestling fan? If you are, I'd never guess it. From your post I'd say your only purpose is to annoy me.

As I recall during the aftermath...many said that (in hindsight) most of those associated with Foxcatcher knew that they were dancing with the devil and that they knew something bad was bound to happen, although no one saw homicide coming (perhaps UM158 and/or LordNelson can weigh in here). In my opinion, this is likely the underlying theme of the movie...and likely why it will capture alot of attention in the mainstream. I'm guessing the struggle of wrestling (personal/physical and for survival as a sport) will play a central role and how that set the stage for the "dancing with the devil" aspect (appeasing DuPont because he was footing the bills in a way that no one else was before or since).

In the end, it could be either good or bad for wrestling's image in the mainstream...time will only tell. I am betting that it will be a highly regarded film though, either way.

I speak only from 2nd hand knowledge.

There are alot of alledged stories about him. Everything from paying off opponents to thinking that certain foxcatcher wrestlers were russian spies. Many of team foxcatchers guys saw it as a means to an end.

They could train for their goals without living in a dorm room.

Again, I wasn't there and only was privy to stories told by someone that was.

What would make a movie about this story interesting to people outside of wrestling would likely be the dynamic nature of DuPont's personality and his general insanity.

People are drawn to those types of stories and unfortunately if the plot follows that path it will

be at the expense of one of wrestling's true legends.

I was never at Foxcatcher, but found myself standing next to John DuPont at the National Open one year in LV. I quickly moved away, he looked gray skinned and wasn't someone i wanted to be around.

I knew Dave Schultz fairly well, i know Mark Schultz, Dan Chaid, Andre Metzger who were all there. Dan and Andre have some very interesting and disturbing stories about what went on there. I would think the DuPont family would quietly try to keep this movie frim being made, since they can't come out looking good.

It would have to be a "dark story" that would be a feature at the "artsy" theaters. I can't see it being a success at major theaters.

It is a story that won't be forgotten anytime soon in the wrestling community, but I think we'd just as soon not see the dirty laundry spread in the big screen.

Very few movies are factual even when based on a true story. The closest was "We were soldiers and young once" Mel Gibson, Sam Elliott, and Greg Kinnear were the main actors. As a former medevac helicopter pilot in Vietnam the only error was having Nomex flight suits, we didn't have those then.

I'd be pleased with the same accuracy about DuPont and Fixcatcher, but i am not counting on it.

I really hope that they make this movie because its going to be very educational to our current wrestlers, teaching them that they have to be surrounded by good people no matter what the cost is. So many of our professional athletes are able to balance their professional carriers along with associating with idiots, and its about time to tell a story where it didnt workout.

I really hope that Mark Shultz is involved with the production of the movie. I would hope that his character would be included. Was he on the team at Foxcatcher?

I also hope that the movie/story is focused on Dave and how great he was and that people dont go see it thinking that Steve Carrell is doing a dark comedy on some crazy guys life. If the posters have Carrell driving a tank or a cati into a lake people wont get it. overall i am excited for the story to be told i think it will bring positive attention to our sport as long as Dave is given the credit he deserves

From a main stream perspective, I think that the two stories have to be developed well and in harmony to give the total impact of what happened. People need to see how great the athletes at Foxcatcher were and how dependent they were on the money that was controlled by someone with mental health issues.

If the story is just about wrestling and a murder, there is little mass market appeal.

If the story is just about a philanthrapist with mental health issues that commits murder, there is little mass market appeal.

Even if the story is altered and names are changed the story can still be a huge success when people see the dedication of non-revenue athletes and the things they once endured in order to live their dream and the decision they had to make after the tragedy leading up to the '96 games.

This story could be a blockbuster hit and though it will pull at many heartstrings it can be good for the sport.

I hope this is researched out right, and has justice done to it. Dave and his family deserve this.....the wrestling world deserves this......the whole world deserves this.....may "THE LEGEND LIVE ON". I write this with tears in my eyes 15 years after the fact......I can remember exactly where I was when I heard the news of his murder, just as I can remember exactly where I was when I heard the news of John Kennedy's murder....yes, I'm saying them in the same breath. I learned more wrestling from Dave than I learned from any 4 people!