Sign in to follow this  
tec87

Foxcatcher Movie in the works

Guest Hammerlock3

I feel like i should have to "no-homo" this comment, I like channing tatum but this is a great change (in terms of my thinking, i assume this was the original casting)

Though they can milk all sorts of suspense and drama out of the DuPont angle I really wish they would focus mirroring DuPont and Schultz life over the last few years prior to the incident. Seeing Schultz having success as an animal on the mat, and as a great ambassador of the sport would really help the audience get drawn in to what will eventually happen between the two. Unfortunately, I think Hollywood will just make it about DuPonts decline into insanity and the important of Schultz as a wrestler and person will be a small part of the backstory.

The good news is it sounds like they are trying to get some decent star power in order to make a main stream audience available for the film. But, as mentioned the other issue is envisioning Carell in a roll that goes form goofy to dark. I'm sure he can do a serious character well, but will this dark of a turn take with the audience. I'm sure they will show the first few issues with DuPont as being funny (since no one got how serious things were at that point). But then they will star to show his actions get more disturbing and progressively dark. Since the Carell comedy was set up early in the film will the audience keep looking for even as things get deeper or can they let his past rolls out of their mind and accept him as this spiraling out of control character that is not longer thought of as humorous.

I think Steve Carroll will surprise many of us and do an excellent job with the role he is given. When Michael Keaton was cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman, many people dimissed this as a joke and some even tried to boycott the film. Now today, the same people who cried, "Keaton, the comedian!?!!? What no!!" are now crying, "Keaton was the best Batman!". They're right, he was. Carroll will do a fine job in this film.

I'm anxious to see if Ruffalo shaves his head and grows a beard. I think it'd only be appropriate to look as much like Dave as possible. I loved Ruffalo in "Zodiac" and am anxious to see his diverse ability in playing Shultz. I wonder if there will be any wrestling sequences throughout the film.

With a man as heroic and well loved in the wrestling community as Dave Shultz is, it's a shame to think that the movie wouldn't focus upon this. I agree though, that it most likely wants to tackle the ever insightful story of a mentally disturbed man.

has anyone else watching this season's Ultimate Fighter noticed one of the fighters (Sam Sicilia) uncanny resemblance to Dave? Everytime I see Sicilia on the show I can't help but think he would be perfect as a stand in (for Ruffalo) in the upcoming production of Foxcatcher.

sam_sicila.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFYMW5bdbCBvULXLTQs-Oe2Wf5BIXud-g_B0sci1AnkSOdMRfLTp9A6Q

Channing as Mark makes a lot more sense

as does Ruffalo as Dave, who may actually be able to do a decent job.

they could have done a far worse casting wise

Ruffalo certainly has the chest hair for the part, if nothing else.

I just hope that whatever wrestling they do show isn't as bad as what Ashton Kutcher did in his movie where he was an Iowa wrestler. His skills, especially for a former wrestler, left a whole lot to be desired.

I just hope that whatever wrestling they do show isn't as bad as what Ashton Kutcher did in his movie where he was an Iowa wrestler. His skills, especially for a former wrestler, left a whole lot to be desired.

Ruffalo was a high school state champ in VA: http://movies.yahoo.com/person/mark-ruf ... raphy.html

Any movie that has wrestling in it is usually very disappointing as far as the wrestling scenes... I was thinking about this last night and I hope they can get some actually footage of Schultz wrestling and incorporate it into the movie... Is this possible? I think so... Many sports movies take actual footage of the sporting events and incorporate it into scenes through out... Just wouldnt be able to show close ups of face shots, but I am sure this would be an issue with the technology and editing capabilities...

Ruffalo was a high school state champ in VA: http://movies.yahoo.com/person/mark-ruf ... raphy.html

no, he wasn't http://www.virginiawrestling.com/high-school/past-state-champions/

My interpretation of Ruffalo's discussion with his publicist

Publicist: So do you anything else interesting in your past?

Ruffalo: Well I wrestled in High School in Virginia

Publicist: Were you any good?

R: Well I was on Varsity

P: Great we'll say you were a state champion

R: but I wasn't...

P: Oh who cares, it sounds good and nobody is going to double check on this. It's wrestling after all, who the hell cares?

P: Oh who cares, it sounds good and nobody is going to double check on this. It's wrestling after all, who the hell cares?

Hey Superfluidity, look on the bright side, it used to be like this.....

P: So did you do anything interesting in your past?

R: Well, I wrestled in high school in Virginia

P: Which high school did you play football at?

R: I was a wrestler, I said I wrestled

P: Quarterback?

R: WRESTLER!

P: Ok, I got it, you were a star quarterback on the football team.

Hey Superfluidity, look on the bright side, it used to be like this.....

P: So did you do anything interesting in your past?

R: Well, I wrestled in high school in Virginia

P: Which high school did you play football at?

R: I was a wrestler, I said I wrestled

P: Quarterback?

R: WRESTLER!

P: Ok, I got it, you were a star quarterback on the football team.

I'm certain that has happened.

In MMA Kamal Shalarous's handlers billed him as an Olympic wrestler for years, he once got 9th at an Olympic qualifying tournament for the UK. They did this even when confronted with the FILA database results confirming that he was never an Olympian.