Sign in to follow this  
tec87

Foxcatcher Movie in the works

My interpretation of Ruffalo's discussion with his publicist

Publicist: So do you anything else interesting in your past?

Ruffalo: Well I wrestled in High School in Virginia

Publicist: Were you any good?

R: Well I was on Varsity

P: Great we'll say you were a state champion

R: but I wasn't...

P: Oh who cares, it sounds good and nobody is going to double check on this. It's wrestling after all, who the hell cares?

So since we as wrestling fans are so unbelievably concerned with movies getting the sport "right" or any other tiny related details, 5 points to the poster who can find out Ruffalo's High School wrestling results

My interpretation of Ruffalo's discussion with his publicist

Publicist: So do you anything else interesting in your past?

Ruffalo: Well I wrestled in High School in Virginia

Publicist: Were you any good?

R: Well I was on Varsity

P: Great we'll say you were a state champion

R: but I wasn't...

P: Oh who cares, it sounds good and nobody is going to double check on this. It's wrestling after all, who the hell cares?

So since we as wrestling fans are so unbelievably concerned with movies getting the sport "right" or any other tiny related details, 5 points to the poster who can find out Ruffalo's High School wrestling results

Ruffalo's bio was untruthful, this has nothing to do with any movie. This has nothing to do with getting tiny details in a movie "right." This is someone taking credit for a real life achievement that didn't occur. I'm more amused by it than up in arms. I can all but guarantee that there is no accessible online archive of First Colonial HS results in the early 1980's

Kamal Shalarous was an Olympic wrestler, and was a Jr. World Champ. The only thing disingenuous is that they just say World Champ, not Jr. World Champ.

What Olympics did he participate in?

For what country?

I believe he wrestled for Great Britain in either 2004 or 2008. He gained British citizenship at some point I forget exactly when or why though.

Kamal Shalarous was an Olympic wrestler, and was a Jr. World Champ. The only thing disingenuous is that they just say World Champ, not Jr. World Champ.

For what country?

I believe he wrestled for Great Britain in either 2004 or 2008. He gained British citizenship at some point I forget exactly when or why though.

Yes but he only got 8th at the Olympic qualifying tournament for GB in 2008 and 19th in 2004, neither qualifies for the Olympics, if you check his weight at either of those Olympics he is not in the field

For what country?

Check your inbox. Also, many people use Olympic wrestler to disambiguate the styles, just like they do for Olympic lifting. You can be an Olympic lifter and not be an Olympian for example.

For what country?

Check your inbox. Also, many people use Olympic wrestler to disambiguate the styles, just like they do for Olympic lifting. You can be an Olympic lifter and not be an Olympian for example.

you got mail

I really enjoyed Mark Ruffalo in "Avengers". I was told that he signed on for 5 more Hulk Movies simply as a result of the positive feed back from the latest Marvel Movie.

The guy is at an awesome point in his career, and we are the lucky recipients of his next effort. A few of us old timers remember how "The Color of Money", with Paul Newman and Tom Cruise, re-awakened a lot of interest in billiards. I have great hope that we will see even more attention to wrestling as a result of this movie. Either way, this movie has the kind of star power, which should give it a lot more mojo from the beginning, than "Vision Quest". You know, Madona's first screen appearance, lol.

I will be thrilled to watch this as soon as it is released. I have a feeling this is going to be the kind of movie that gets a lot of media attention. There are a lot of fascinating angles, which this could go. I know it will be one of those times when a lot of us will feel emotions, which are not pleasant to re-live. I certainly know that just a fan like me/many of us, will probably shed a tear, I can only imagine what the family will be feeling. I hope it is the kind of film which may help Nancy and the boys, Mark, and everyone else in dealing with this loss. A lot of time has passed, and in my personal experiences, it would still be tough. I would not want to relive the pain of the loss of my loved ones, but it would be amazing to see the outpouring of emotion which a movie like this will undoubtedly evoke. I would think a lot of good Karma for people that all of us love. I guess they could have given this film a lot of different titles, but "Foxcatcher" is a statement in itself. Do we have any idea when it will be released?

smittyfan,

Agreed that this movie could boost the interest in wrestling and if timed well, could coincide with an excellent Team USA result at the Olympics.

Fingers are crossed for a great movie, great Olympic games finish for the USA and a new era of wrestling popularity!

GO USA!!!

Fingures are crossed the spend some time mirroring the downward spiral of a madman with the dedication of wrestlers and figure that Schultz was. instead of the former with little real wrestling focus other than needing some group for Dupont to antagonize. My hope is they on some level try to take advantage of a guy like Schultz and wrestling. To me putting some of the story on Schultz life would help the audience understand part of why he tried to "stick with or fix" at Foxcatcher or with Dupont. Which would draw audiance members into the downward spiral and make the ending that much more dramatic. Without a insight into Schultz through the story it's just another fit who stuck around to long, argued a few time, and gets killed by a whack job. The drama involved with Dupont life, Schultz life, and there interaction with each other and the team is deeper on many more levels than that. I fear though they may simplify it to something that could have just as easily been written with some random person and another random sport. If they could write the samerole here for say a successful track star with an average life story as they will Schultz role I will be disappointed. If the whole focus is on DuPont with only a small supporting role for schultz and the wrestlig training I'd be disappoints. Sure the DuPont story sells the movie but let's hope they do it right and give the man and the sport it's due respect in the process of events that occured.

I still think someone should make a ESPN 30 for 30 covering the lives of the two figures. At least that type of documentary would get all the dynamics covered instead of what makes for just a good drama movie antagonistic situation.

I think the wrestling community is being overly hopeful about the story line here. The story is going to be about DuPont and his schizophrenia. I wish wrestling were the center piece of this film, but form what I am reading online, that's not close to the selling point here. I would suggest that no one get their hopes up too high about the amount of wrestling in this film, but don't be surprised to find out a lot more about how crazy DuPont really was.

smittyfan,

Agreed that this movie could boost the interest in wrestling and if timed well, could coincide with an excellent Team USA result at the Olympics.

Fingers are crossed for a great movie, great Olympic games finish for the USA and a new era of wrestling popularity!

GO USA!!!

The timing won't be close, probably a year off at best if they are actually able to shoot principal in the Fall.

Based on my thinking about the angle of the movie, I do not think we'll see a bump for wrestling after the movie. I think it's going to be sad and dark and be more about a sick mind and not an Olympic hero. Happy to be wrong! =)

I think the wrestling community is being overly hopeful about the story line here. The story is going to be about DuPont and his schizophrenia. I wish wrestling were the center piece of this film, but form what I am reading online, that's not close to the selling point here. I would suggest that no one get their hopes up too high about the amount of wrestling in this film, but don't be surprised to find out a lot more about how crazy DuPont really was.

Once again, my vegan friend, we agree. =)

While I don't think that wrestling will be the centerpiece of the movie They do have Ruffalo and Tatum playing the Schultz brothers so I would expect a good amount of attention on their characters. Even if they don't show much wrestling it will be nice to see them played by big name actors and if they are honest to who Dave was as a person it will be great.

There was more to Dave then what he displayed on the mat and that would be nice to see on film. Especially from an actor as good as Ruffalo.

The story is based on Mark Schultz's autobiography and will be told from Mark's (Channing Tatum) perspective and the love, loyalty, and sibling rivaly he had with his brother. One person posted "if wrestling supported their athletes more duPont would never have been able to take advantage of their poor financial situation. This is true. duPont plays an important role but he's not the main character even though the title is sort of nomenclature for duPont. There's a lot of misinformation and speculation on this thread. If you want to know the truth about anything I'll answer it.

The story is based on Mark Schultz's autobiography and will be told from Mark's (Channing Tatum) perspective and the love, loyalty, and sibling rivaly he had with his brother. One person posted "if wrestling supported their athletes more duPont would never have been able to take advantage of their poor financial situation. This is true. duPont plays an important role but he's not the main character even though the title is sort of nomenclature for duPont. There's a lot of misinformation and speculation on this thread. If you want to know the truth about anything I'll answer it.

Few questions...How involved are they keeping the family? Any idea when they are expecting to start filming? And last question is what is the timeline of the story that we expect to be presented? (e.g. Does the story start in 84 and go up to the aftermath of what happened (96 olympic training funding, trial, etc)? Thank you so much.

Well, you can't argue with Mark Schultz himself coming on and replying to a thread regarding a movie about his brother. Thanks for the info, Mark.

Also, for those who didn't see it on the homepage and want to tryout for a roll in the film: http://www.themat.com/section.php?secti ... leID=25524.